GDT: Game 72: Coyotes @ Edmonton - 7:30pm (AZ) - TNT - Oh My Aching Back to Back Edition

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
You guys are talking like nothing would have changed. Let's be serious for a minute here. I think getting McDavid here would have been almost the same as TGO going to LA. I don't think any of the crap we have gone through, and currently going thru would have been a reality with McDavid. IF we have the good fortune and get Bedard we might see first hand.
I think lots would be different, but not for the better. Without TED this team could not afford McDavid's contract alone, never mind build a competitive team around him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think lots would be different, but not for the better. Without TED this team could not afford McDavid's contract alone, never mind build a competitive team around him.
I disagree. The Coyote's would be in Glendale packing the house. TED probably wouldn't even be a thing. Even if it was, having a player like McDavid would increase the odds on getting TED past. If the Coyotes were still in Glendale and drafted Bedard, I bet the house would be packed. You might be too young to remember what TGO did for hockey in CA. and the NHL.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I disagree. The Coyote's would be in Glendale packing the house. TED probably wouldn't even be a thing. Even if it was, having a player like McDavid would increase the odds on getting TED past. If the Coyotes were still in Glendale and drafted Bedard, I bet the house would be packed. You might be too young to remember what TGO did for hockey in CA. and the NHL.

Here's the problem with that logic. Gretzky, by the time he went to Los Angeles, was an acknowledged generational star player at the prime of his career and (this is the very critical point) was a breakout crossover pop culture icon.

Connor McDavid might be the best NHL player since TGO, but he's not even in the same zip code in terms of cultural footprint that Gretzky achieved. And Connor Bedard... we don't even know for sure if he's going to be on McDavid's level or not. For damn sure, the number of people who know who Bedard is in Arizona is probably smaller than the usership of HFBoards.

Beyond all that, though, the Coyotes wouldn't be in Glendale anyway. Not with the league and the franchise and the players all coveting the East Valley the way they did. A star player or two wouldn't have made a difference.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Here's the problem with that logic. Gretzky, by the time he went to Los Angeles, was an acknowledged generational star player at the prime of his career and (this is the very critical point) was a breakout crossover pop culture icon.

Connor McDavid might be the best NHL player since TGO, but he's not even in the same zip code in terms of cultural footprint that Gretzky achieved. And Connor Bedard... we don't even know for sure if he's going to be on McDavid's level or not. For damn sure, the number of people who know who Bedard is in Arizona is probably smaller than the usership of HFBoards.

Beyond all that, though, the Coyotes wouldn't be in Glendale anyway. Not with the league and the franchise and the players all coveting the East Valley the way they did. A star player or two wouldn't have made a difference.
I understand what you are saying and I agree it would be different now, but a McDavid or a player like Bedard would change the landscape of hockey in Arizona. Why do so many want Matthews to sign here? Do you think if he was a fourth line scrub anyone would want him here? We will never know for sure, but a McDavid here with all the snowbirds, the arena would be packed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad