GDT: Game 72: Columbus vs. Toronto | 3/22 7PM

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
CBJ fan here not jealous of the way Babcock gooned it up tonight and left one of our best forwards injured

Polak isn't a bright hockey player. I'm sure Babcock doesn't want guys hitting from behind.

Being on the PK for 5+ minutes wasn't a coaches decision.

Hopefully Bjork is okay. Polak messed up.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Leafs out Jacketed the Jackets tonight. The refs were horrible and, it's official, traveling Leafs fans are the absolute WORST!

Finally, Buffalo fans are out of the dog house.....

Truth be told, 60% of Sabre fans are Leaf fans who can't get or afford tickets to Leaf games so they follow the Sabres....

So it's moot....

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
I'm not sure what game you guys were watching but what boardings were missed? Fehr barely touched Jones.. it was the lightest shove ever and Jones just stumbled a bit. On the Dubinsky one he fell over as they were both going into the boards. Those maybe get called at the start of the year but not in the last stretch of games when they are basically playoff games.

Polak one was bad. Although thats one of those plays where old school guys would say you can't put yourself in a vulnerable position like that.

Not sure what some of you guys are saying about your team lacking energy against us.. I was scared ****less for most of that game.. your cycle game is nuts. Reminds me of the Kings in the 2012/2014 playoffs.

Leafs fans feel like they have to control every conversation. The game is over, please go home now.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Six observations from tonight's game:
* Cam played one of the worst games I've seen him play
* Korpi was unable to control the puck and often out of position
* inability to score on the 5 minute power play was a killer
* not just this game but now a string of games what's with Wennberg
* Refs stunk (no news there)
* On a positive note, Quincy was a good pick up

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC

Q was a huge pick up, He's not going to score goals but he's been very...very solid doing his job on D

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

Cam has been bad for going on two months now. Need him desperately to do something of note, and soon.

I'm guessing the team was spooked by Bjork's injury when they effed up that power play, as they had zero focus. Cringe-worthy.

This game really put a burr in my saddle. Spent all day listening to the Toronto media talk **** about how this was a "winnable" game and really wanted the CBJ to hang a beatdown on them. Frustrating as hell.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Cam has been bad for going on two months now. Need him desperately to do something of note, and soon.

I'm guessing the team was spooked by Bjork's injury when they effed up that power play, as they had zero focus. Cringe-worthy.

This game really put a burr in my saddle. Spent all day listening to the Toronto media talk **** about how this was a "winnable" game and really wanted the CBJ to hang a beatdown on them. Frustrating as hell.

April 9 in Toronto is the perfect opportunity to make you feel better.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
lmfao. This doesn't touch Vancouver.

Yeah, that game and the first NJ home game were definitely worse. My vote for worst game of the year was the one at the NYI... that was about as lifeless as it gets. Tonight I thought the Blue Jackets were pretty good some of the 1st and most of the 2nd, but I thought they were completely deflated WHEN the penalty occurred, not after it was over. Zero calls to that point and then one of your best offensive players goes down after 2-3 cheap shots in recent games, and the team just looked completely unfocused on the PP when normally they turn it up in the 3rd. It was almost like what you see in a football game when someone goes off on a stretcher. I think it deflated the crowd as well.

I think the coach was angry at the lack of calls and all these cheap shots occurring of late.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Back from the game. That was a frustrating one.

My quick-take impressions:

1) there was no urgency from the CBJ to start the game
2) pretty weak calls in the first on the Jackets, especially the one on Dubi
3) brain fart from Zach cost a goal, he was pretty invisible after that, but none of the D had particularly strong games
4) Nuti has taken a step back. May have to roll with Harrington until Murray is back.
5) Need Hartnell back in the lineup
6) There were some pretty annoying Leaf fans there at the rink tonight. And as a Canadian, I'd like to point out it's not a nationality thing, some Leafs fans are just a special breed. Imagine what some of the more entitled Buckeye fans in the city are like after an OSU win, and couple that to having experienced 50 years of mostly futility.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/roman-polak-suspended-hit-bjorkstrand/

FYI... of course the Canadian poll is highly slanted that he shouldn't be suspended. I don't know if he has been suspended before but it does sound like he did something similar to Tyler Toffoli last season where he got off. Depending on what info comes from Bjorkstrand i bet this gets 3 games.

there were actually a number of Leafs fans saying Bjork turned into him and it wasn't even a penalty...be embarrassed to be part of that fan base

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
NHL Player Safety‏Verified account @NHLPlayerSafety now1 minute ago

Toronto's Roman Polak will have a hearing tomorrow morning for boarding Columbus' Oliver Bjorkstrand.

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
Our PP is just awful. Did anyone else see Boone turn his back to an open net to force a pass into the crease on that 5 min PP?

SHOOT THE PUCK!!

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
NHL Player Safety‏Verified account @NHLPlayerSafety now1 minute ago

Toronto's Roman Polak will have a hearing tomorrow morning for boarding Columbus' Oliver Bjorkstrand.

can you imagine if the Jackets would have laid that hit on Mathews?

The entitlement and double standard for the chosen ones up North is off the charts

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

I guess this. I mean, I can't figure what else.

I was at a different game, or some posters are just frustrated the team was behind and played like crap from the time of the Bjorkstrand injury on.

Prior to that it was a well-matched game with a few bad moments that ended up in the CBJ net. I thought Korp played well, was sharp and seeing the puck. Three of the goals were flukes/turnovers (yeah sure, he coulda stopped the Nylander breakaway but that kid's pretty good). There was one goal he shouldn't have given up the rebound.

Offensive game was strong on the cycle and sustained pressure, just needed to find a couple of those rebounds. And I did not like the Karlsson line.

Now, after being Mr. Sunshine and Roses...

I said to my buddy during the extended power play that this is the kind of stretch the loses games. I was a little surprised the fog never lifted. I hope this doesn't become something that extends beyond last night.

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Thankfully I didn't seem to run into any unruly Leafs fans... did however pass a Blackhawks fan on the way out of the arena who was drunk and talking ***** to CBJ fans. Someone was going after him as I left :D

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
I said to my buddy during the extended power play that this is the kind of stretch the loses games. I was a little surprised the fog never lifted. I hope this doesn't become something that extends beyond last night.
This. I'm really worried about tonight. I don't know what to expect, but I'm fearing the worst.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
CBJ fan here not jealous of the way Babcock gooned it up tonight and left one of our best forwards injured

The Leafs gooned it up? I get a chuckle out of that.

This game was everything to the Leafs. This was a playoff game seven to the Leafs. Their best game of the season. Just because Columbus is a better team, this game didn't mean as much to them. There was no way Columbus was going to match the Leafs intensity.

Polak is in the top 10 in the league for hits. (216 hits this season) More then Dubinsky. Is he a 'dirty' player though? Well what he did last night is something he's done all season long...rub out players along the boards. So he has more clean hits then anything on his resume. He isn't a repeat offender. Maybe he had a little more drive then normal, as the whole team's intensity was flying high. But really it was a rub out of a player along the boards done multiple times all season. The difference? Bjorkstrand played it horribly. I've seen Mitch Marner do the same thing and walk away. And you could tell it was one of those plays he should of known better. Doesn't mean I liked the play any better then Columbus fans are liking Polak's hit. But in either case, players can't be throwing snow stopping two feet in front of the boards with a blue-liner who's 6th in hits among defensemen coming behind you. When I look at the replay, I can't see something that makes me say, we have to stop this. Polak wasn't intentionally trying to hit him from behind. It was a hockey play gone wrong. It wasn't like a deliberate cross-check to the back of someone's neck.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The Leafs gooned it up? I get a chuckle out of that.

This game was everything to the Leafs. This was a playoff game seven to the Leafs. Their best game of the season. Just because Columbus is a better team, this game didn't mean as much to them. There was no way Columbus was going to match the Leafs intensity.

Polak is in the top 10 in the league for hits. (216 hits this season) More then Dubinsky. Is he a 'dirty' player though? Well what he did last night is something he's done all season long...rub out players along the boards. So he has more clean hits then anything on his resume. He isn't a repeat offender. Maybe he had a little more drive then normal, as the whole team's intensity was flying high. But really it was a rub out of a player along the boards done multiple times all season. The difference? Bjorkstrand played it horribly. I've seen Mitch Marner do the same thing and walk away. And you could tell it was one of those plays he should of known better. Doesn't mean I liked the play any better then Columbus fans are liking Polak's hit. But in either case, players can't be throwing snow stopping two feet in front of the boards with a blue-liner who's 6th in hits among defensemen coming behind you. When I look at the replay, I can't see something that makes me say, we have to stop this. Polak wasn't intentionally trying to hit him from behind. It was a hockey play gone wrong. It wasn't like a deliberate cross-check to the back of someone's neck.

its clean because he has lots of hits eh? When you follow someone into the boards thats when you wrap them up not follow through. You are probably in the wrong place seeking approval

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad