GDT: Game 72 | CBJ @ MTL | 7 PM EST | The Final Countdown

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’m not sure Lars will be gone, but it’s really sad if McCarthy and Legace return

I'd be encouraged to see a change there but I honestly can't say if they're responsible for any of our shortcomings. We are not in a position to evaluate their job performance.

Reactions: LJ7

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I'd be encouraged to see a change there but I honestly can't say if they're responsible for any of our shortcomings. We are not in a position to evaluate their job performance.
I guess my take is this. We’re tied to Elvis and he’s regressed and a fresh start at goal is needed. Elvis is going nowhere so Manny because the change. As to the defense, clearly we’ve been saddled with inexperience and NHL guys who are going to make mistakes. But the D positioning has been consistently poor. I’d like a Brad Shaw type D coach behind the bench…..With still more games to play this team already has the franchise season record for goals allowed.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
5:5

Christiansen - 18:02
Bayreuther - 16:55
Peeke - 16:45

Boqvist - 16:04
Blankenburg - 13:08
Berni - 13:05
-----
Fix-Wolanski - 13:19
Jenner 13:07
Marchenko - 12:43
Johnson - 11:49
Foudy - 11:15
Roslovic 11:08

Last edited:

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
5:5

Christiansen - 18:02
Bayreuther - 16:55
Peeke - 16:45

Boqvist - 16:04
Blankenburg - 13:08
Berni - 13:05
-----
Fix-Wolanski - 13:19
Jenner 13:07
Marchenko - 12:43
Johnson - 11:49
Foudy - 11:15
Roslovic 11:08

That's all what you must know.
Not sure what you are saying, but a lot of those guys with low 5 on 5 time had special teams minutes. TFW and Bayreuther had zero special teams time, Blankenburg and Roslovic had over 6 minutes and Jenner had over 5. The rest had 3.5-4 minutes, they need some rest. Plus this game was out of hand for the most part, no sense running these guys into the groud for a game like this.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Not sure what you are saying, but a lot of those guys with low 5 on 5 time had special teams minutes. TFW and Bayreuther had zero special teams time, Blankenburg and Roslovic had over 6 minutes and Jenner had over 5. The rest had 3.5-4 minutes, they need some rest. Plus this game was out of hand for the most part, no sense running these guys into the groud for a game like this.
Especially on a back to back.

Reactions: Monstershockey

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Just a chance Lars gave to individual players to show their qualities.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Peeke sucks. 3rd pair guy at best and you shouldn’t want him on the PK. A #7 when healthy if you ask me.

I wasn’t as high (or got as high) as many others were on Blankenburg, but, even then my opinions/expectations of him have cooled a bit. Like others, he’s playing higher in the lineup than he should, and with weaker players, but, his decision making/ability defensively is leaving me wanting more, and that’s what we need from the defense. He’s looking like a 3rd pair guy also that you want multiples better options on both special teams. I put him on the PP over the PK.

Boqvist’s value and impact comes from his offensive ability. If we had ANY sort of defensive depth, I would seriously consider him at wing (or maybe center). Him being just adequate defensively makes him an asset on the PP and capable of playing a 3rd pairing role. Problem is a lot of the time he isn’t actually adequate defensively.

The rest of the defense playing belong in the AHL.

I take Bean and Gudbranson over all these guys, and think Bean-Gudbranson works as a 2nd pair.

I don’t think Jiricek will be ready to play on the top pairing for the next 1+ years, especially on this team and with Werenski. It’s a lot different than playing with Jones, while also having Murray/Savard around, not to mention Bobrovsky and a slew of defensive minded forwards.

We need another top pairing (or a #3 at worst) defenseman. Jiricek or not.

That’s not even touching Roslovic on the PK and who is all responsible for that. That said, swapping Roslovic out for another center is not all that’s needed to be changed on forward either.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I have written my opinion on the Peeke-Bayreuther duo. But I am interested in another thing. Why was DZ opened? That's not just work of defensemen, but also forwards, especially centers. And where were they? I don't blame Kuraly and McKown for anything. Sean was injured and Hunter played his second NHL game. But where were Jenner and Roslovic?
Btw, I must agree with @thebus88 , Bean is very underrated.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I take Bean and Gudbranson over all these guys, and think Bean-Gudbranson works as a 2nd pair.
Btw, I must agree with @thebus88 , Bean is very underrated.

You all must have some incredible scouting talent if you can see through the disastrous results we witnessed earlier this year..

Bean-Gudbranson were outscored 6-1 and outchanced (xG) 2 to 1.

Bean didn't get a chance to prove that it wasn't his fault, but he didn't look good to me. Like a slower larger version of Berni.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Peeke sucks. 3rd pair guy at best and you shouldn’t want him on the PK. A #7 when healthy if you ask me.

I wasn’t as high (or got as high) as many others were on Blankenburg, but, even then my opinions/expectations of him have cooled a bit. Like others, he’s playing higher in the lineup than he should, and with weaker players, but, his decision making/ability defensively is leaving me wanting more, and that’s what we need from the defense. He’s looking like a 3rd pair guy also that you want multiples better options on both special teams. I put him on the PP over the PK.

Boqvist’s value and impact comes from his offensive ability. If we had ANY sort of defensive depth, I would seriously consider him at wing (or maybe center). Him being just adequate defensively makes him an asset on the PP and capable of playing a 3rd pairing role. Problem is a lot of the time he isn’t actually adequate defensively.

The rest of the defense playing belong in the AHL.

I don’t think Jiricek will be ready to play on the top pairing for the next 1+ years, especially on this team and with Werenski. It’s a lot different than playing with Jones, while also having Murray/Savard around, not to mention Bobrovsky and a slew of defensive minded forwards.

We need another top pairing (or a #3 at worst) defenseman. Jiricek or not.

That’s not even touching Roslovic on the PK and who is all responsible for that. That said, swapping Roslovic out for another center is not all that’s needed to be changed on forward either.

Peeke has not had a good season but he just turned 25, which is nothing for a defensive D-man. Boqvist has been a bright spot for me, we're finally seeing some of that talent and he's only 22, he's got plenty of time to round out his defensive game, I doubt he'll never be "good" at that, but for a player like him I'd be happy with "good enough". But he also gets very easy minutes, so he should be doing well.

I was pretty high on Blanks early on but dunno what to think of him, he's just not looked the same after he came back from that injury, dunno if something is still bothering him or if he just lost his mojo or what's going on.

There we come into the problem, the defensive group is so weak right now as a whole, it's hard to judge individual player performance. I agree the defense really needs help, even when healthy there's just no stable veteran D-men who can anchor a pairing. I don't understand what you see in Gudbranson, IMO he's been horrible, though he like everyone else is playing way over their head, so in that sense maybe he's improved from early season, but I see him as a bottom pairing guy, hopefully playing with someone better than himself. I think they are probably going to need to move some young D-men/prospects so that they can get the D into a shape where they can actually bring up the remaining youngsters into a situation where they can succeed without being destroyed. Having dubious defensive coaching doesn't help.

I think Roslovic on PK has been fine, haven't really paid that much attention to it tbh, but at least the numbers would suggest the PK is actually better with him on the ice than without. The biggest problem to me with Roslovic is he just has no consistency to his 5v5 game, one game he can look like superstar offensively and OK defensively, the next he might be completely ineffective and his D can look like he doesn't belong in the league at all. It doesn't help he's been nowhere when the games actually matter, like last season we saw other guys really step it up when they were still in the hunt for playoffs. Then once they get eliminated Roslovic is suddenly a player :) Of course there's line combos and other things to consider, but it's still a bad look.

Reactions: majormajor

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I look at it another way. We're the worst team in the league. They're ALL responsible - from the front office right on down. There is not one element of the game we're good at.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
You all must have some incredible scouting talent if you can see through the disastrous results we witnessed earlier this year..

Bean didn't get a chance to prove that it wasn't his fault, but he didn't look good to me. Like a slower larger version of Berni.
Regarding Bean, he only played poorly for part of the games when he had "heavy" legs. Then he got better.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Bean > > Peeke

This focus on “results” in such small samples is what got us into this disaster of a goalie situation with Merzlikins.

I agree with some things you say, and disagree with some. 1 thing I simply can’t understand is your continued defense and/or “hype” of Peeke. To compound on all this, any chance given to harp on guys like Gudbranson/Bean/Boqvist and you’re ready to lay into these guys, but, Peeke with the same (or worse) play or “results” ends up with excuse after excuse.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
How did Rafael Harvey-Pinard look? I am just stat watching here, but he is a short guy from the QMJHL who seems to be having some success in the NHL, including a hat trick against us. Does that make anyone think Dumais has a legit NHL career in his future?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
How did Rafael Harvey-Pinard look? I am just stat watching here, but he is a short guy from the QMJHL who seems to be having some success in the NHL, including a hat trick against us. Does that make anyone think Dumais has a legit NHL career in his future?
It’s Dumais that makes me think Dumais has a legit NHL career in his future.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Rimer so focused on selling Byers cars, how can you believe anything he says?? He wasn’t that credible when Dougie Mac brought him here
Rimer maybe but Porty?

Laine is out two-to-four weeks now with a strained triceps suffered at the end of practice on Thursday when he took a shot during a power-play drill. He has told people around the Blue Jackets that he’ll play again before the season ends, and when he does it’ll be at center ice.

This may not be a passing fancy.

Reactions: CBJx614

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
Seems like there is going to be a lot of goaltending work for hutchison now am I right? Since other goalies are injured

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Seems like there is going to be a lot of goaltending work for hutchison now am I right? Since other goalies are injured
Elvis is only day to day. So I would assume it’s Hutch’s net. But I don’t anticipate Elvis being out very long if he’s only listed day to day.

Reactions: Nhlpowerweek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad