GDT: GAME 72 | Blackhawks @ Senators | Kleven Returns! Edition | Thu Mar 28 2024, 7PM | TSN5, RDS2

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Team is now 1 game over .500 under Martin. And that is with the worst goaltending I've seen in the NHL since the late 80s, a packed, road-heavy schedule and a few injuries. If we'd started the year with this (or any competent) coaching staff this is likely a playoff team.

The time to make hay was early this year and instead we went 11-16-0. Another wasted season but I don't think this team is that far off.
Win a few games and the DJ haters come out.

We beat 3 non playoff teams. Got thumped by Edmonton but Korpisalo stood on his head.

The best 4 game stretch of goaltending this team has seen all year.

But it's all because of DJ 🤔

Reactions: swiftwin

lang006

Jan 2, 2020
I'm not the one who brought him up in the first place 🙃
Haha. That’s the same answer my children give when I call them out on their BS!

Call me a DJ hater or a Jacques lover if you must but DJ and his lack of detail coaching style (outscore your problems) really hindered this team from moving forward.

You need a good defensive structure to build out from and then the offense takes care of itself. I just hope the next coach implements that mindset and attention to detail from the get go next year. We will be a lot more consistent if so.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Haha. That’s the same answer my children give when I call them out on their BS!

Call me a DJ hater or a Jacques lover if you must but DJ and his lack of detail coaching style (outscore your problems) really hindered this team from moving forward.

You need a good defensive structure to build out from and then the offense takes care of itself. I just hope the next coach implements that mindset and attention to detail from the get go next year. We will be a lot more consistent if so.
Sens play top teams style now. Molasses on defence to stop the offence with a forest of active sticks and with a very good positioning. I would see 2-4 mistakes during a period now. When during DJ realm, it was a constant thing. Still the worst offender is Tkachuk. He is a captain and now he is the only cheater on the team when defending. Not blocking shots, not engaging players along the boards, not covering the points. That's why JM is not using him on PK. Alfie is frustrated with him as I know, he pointed it out a few times during the team meetings. But Tkachuk is just saving his energy for a counter. Should be striped from the captaincy!

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I haven't been watching as of late. Has Kleven been playing and doing well?

He was decent against Chicago which people were a bit skeptical of because hey it's Chicago.

But he has a pretty solid game again last night against Winnipeg on the road. Engaged physically against a pretty physical team and matched well.

I think his effectiveness is pretty telling on the first Winnipeg goal. He's battling in the crease, keeping everyone to the outside but moves out to the left for some reason and almost immediately afterwords, Winnipeg scores from in close because he isn't there to prevent it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He was decent against Chicago which people were a bit skeptical of because hey it's Chicago.

But he has a pretty solid game again last night against Winnipeg on the road. Engaged physically against a pretty physical team and matched well.

I think his effectiveness is pretty telling on the first Winnipeg goal. He's battling in the crease, keeping everyone to the outside but moves out to the left for some reason and almost immediately afterwords, Winnipeg scores from in close because he isn't there to prevent it.
He moved the the left because both him and Brannstrom were covering Ehlers in front of the net while Monahan was all alone with the puck on his stick, meanwhile Kubalik, puck watching, lost his man who went to the far post drawing Brannstrom's attention away from Ehlers who was able to pounce on the rebound while Brannstrom was trying to figure out who to cover.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

He did the right thing in apply pressure to the puck if anything he was a little slow on the read. Some better communication/familiarity between Brannstrom and Kleven would sort that out. Jets had four players above the dots, Brannstrom and Kleven were both engaged with net front and then both left If it plays out proper, Kleven to puck, Brannstrom net front, Kubalik net drive.

Reactions: Norris4Norris

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
It was more about his effectiveness as a net clearing presence than his judgment in moving away from it.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

The player with the puck was off to his left and no one went to him. He did. left the guy in front and Brannstrom was right there he just never tied that guy up when Kleven moved and he didn't move to attack the puck carrier. Ideally Brannstrom moves to front the man with the puck and Kleven stays with the man in front... Brannstrom didn't move so Kleven, I guess figuring a) someone should and b) that its his side moved. Some one had to front that guy ; no question; better communication would have helped. I would not blame Kleven for being late because he was fully engaged with the man in front.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

lang006

Jan 2, 2020
Sens play top teams style now. Molasses on defence to stop the offence with a forest of active sticks and with a very good positioning. I would see 2-4 mistakes during a period now. When during DJ realm, it was a constant thing. Still the worst offender is Tkachuk. He is a captain and now he is the only cheater on the team when defending. Not blocking shots, not engaging players along the boards, not covering the points. That's why JM is not using him on PK. Alfie is frustrated with him as I know, he pointed it out a few times during the team meetings. But Tkachuk is just saving his energy for a counter. Should be striped from the captaincy!
I agree with your first few statements. Then you push it with the Tkachuk bashing. He has his moments of lack of defensive awareness but has been making strides to improve. Tkachuk will be incredible to watch when we eventually get to the playoffs. If you want him to request a trade to Florida to be with his brother then sure go ahead and strip him of his captaincy. 🤦🏻All the forwards cheated offensively under DJ. And then when they did make it back they wouldn’t understand basic coverages etc. Now there’s effort and then structure makes it more pleasant to watch. Again, is it fools gold? We will see after 20 games next season. Same old song and dance for Sens fans lol

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The player with the puck was off to his left and no one went to him. He did. left the guy in front and Brannstrom was right there he just never tied that guy up when Kleven moved and he didn't move to attack the puck carrier. Ideally Brannstrom moves to front the man with the puck and Kleven stays with the man in front... Brannstrom didn't move so Kleven, I guess figuring a) someone should and b) that its his side moved. Some one had to front that guy ; no question; better communication would have helped. I would not blame Kleven for being late because he was fully engaged with the man in front.
There are still some D zone issues with our Fs and Ds. Still a lot of puck-watching and not enough physicality. I think Jacques is either too nice or too old for dealing with this shit. :)

Obviously coaching needs to change. Also Some roster changes are needed to correct the issue. Hopefully Staios et al will address these matters soon after the season ends.

Where the hell have these guys been?
At DJ's coaching school?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Got to love the end of season surge during meaningless games.
It's has become annoying to watch when the time to step up and perform was back in the 1Q of the season. All the players should be training in the summer and ready to go, go, go from the start of the first game.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Team is now 1 game over .500 under Martin. And that is with the worst goaltending I've seen in the NHL since the late 80s, a packed, road-heavy schedule and a few injuries. If we'd started the year with this (or any competent) coaching staff this is likely a playoff team.

The time to make hay was early this year and instead we went 11-16-0. Another wasted season but I don't think this team is that far off.
Agreed generally but the team is still far off. All the players need to come to camp ready to go from day 1. In addition, we need to get a competent big physical RD to play in the top 4 D, and maybe a 3rd pairing physical RD too. We also need to get Norris back healthy or a competent replacement. Then there are open spots to replace Tarasenko and Kubalik. Plus we need to get a competent coaching staff. Lots to do!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Sanderson was unreal that period.
Makes me sad to think the Senator's Big Daft Brains thought trading their 1st round pick for the picks that resulted in Bernard-Docker and Tychonich was a move worth making.

Kleven-Brannstrom looks like a good pairing so far. Brannstrom continues to look comfortable - maybe even more comfortable - on the right side.
At $2M per, Brannstrom has probably priced himself out of a 7th D or 3rd pair role on this team, which is where he most likely fits.

Reactions: Dionysus

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Kleven-Brannstrom looks like a good pairing so far. Brannstrom continues to look comfortable - maybe even more comfortable - on the right side.
At $2M per, Brannstrom has probably priced himself out of a 7th D or
Bedard is alright but he's not Ovy Crsby or McDavid
Not many are that good.

3rd pair role on this team, which is where Brannstrom most likely fits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad