BRUINS GDT GAME 72 1:08 PM - A Lightning storm in Boston - NESN, NESN 4K, NHLN (NO ESPN+), SN, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1679717273427.png

1679717177410.png
1679717318643.png

1679717350212.png

1679717445566.png

Officials

1679717778624.png
1679717825185.png

Referees Chris Rooney (5), Michael Markovic (31)
Linesmen Michel Cormier (76), Kiel Murchison (79)

Ntl. Anthem Todd Angilly

TODAY’S GAME - The Bruins host the Lightning today in the 4th and final game between these teams this season and the 2nd of 2 at TD Garden. - They are 55-11-5 overall this season and they are 29-3-3 on home ice ... The Bruins are 31-7-3 vs Eastern Conference opponents. - This is the 12th 50-win season in Bruins history ... It is their second straight 50-win campaign and the most since 4 straight from 1970-71—1973-74 ... The total at the 64-game mark were the fastest 50 wins in NHL history. - The Bruins are playing today their 14th of 16 matinees this season (local start time 4:00 pm or earlier) … They have a 10-2-1 record in afternoon games so far. - They open today the 12th of 14 sets of back-to-back games this season … They are currently 9-0-2 in the 1st game of those sets and are 8-3-0 in the 2nd games so far. - The Bruins conclude a 3-game home stand (2-0-0) today ... They will next plat in Carolina on 3/26 before returning home to host Nashville on 3/28 and Columbus on 3/30.

MILESTONES APPROACHING - Dmitry Orlov is looking to play his 700th NHL game today. - A. J. Greer’s next game will be his 100th NHL game. - David Pastrnak is 1 point short of his 600 NHL point. - Matt Grzelcyk is 2 assists short of his 100th NHL assist.

INJURIES/SUSPENSION (Total man-games lost in 2022-23: 107) - AJ Greer – serving today a 1-game NHL-imposed suspension - Derek Forbort – Lower body - Taylor Hall: Lower body (LTIR) - Nick Foligno: Lower body (IR)

BOSTON vs TAMPA BAY, LIFETIME SERIES - The Bruins and Lightning are meeting for the 115th time in their histories with the Bruins having a 71-31-9-3 record and 375-296 scoring advantage in those games. - The Bruins are 40-9-6-2 lifetime vs. Tampa Bay at home with a 205-136 scoring edge in those 57 contests.

NHL STATS FOR GAME 72
Even though the Boston Bruins are already on the cusp of clinching the Atlantic Division, coach Jim Montgomery knows how difficult it is to win in the National Hockey League.

Yet again, a winning streak is growing.

The Bruins (55-11-5, 115 points) will go for their sixth consecutive victory when they host the Tampa Bay Lightning on Saturday afternoon.

"I know we've won a lot this year, but it really is (hard to win) with the schedule as challenging as it is right now," Montgomery said. "We're playing four games a week, and it's four in six nights consecutively for five weeks, so we're not going to have the most energy we usually have."

Saturday begins the Bruins' third of five straight weekend back-to-backs, the second including a road game following a home game.

Following the game, Boston heads to face Carolina, which became the second team to clinch a Stanley Cup Playoff berth after beating the New York Rangers on Thursday.

David Pastrnak is one goal away from becoming the Bruins' first 50-goal scorer since current team president Cam Neely in 1993-94.

The winger's 49th of the season set a new career-high mark and stood as the game-winner in Thursday's 4-2 win over Montreal.

"He's probably the best at knowing where to go to score goals in this league -- or one of them, if not top three," Jake DeBrusk said. "You just try to take notes, honestly, day to day and see how he does it."

After the Canadiens pulled goaltender Jake Allen, linemate Brad Marchand attempted to set up Pastrnak for the milestone goal with an empty net.

"(This team is) incredibly selfless," Montgomery said. "You see guys sacrificing their bodies blocking shots, you see plays like that. It's not the first time we've seen guys pass up an empty-net goal to try and get somebody else. Whether they're trying to get 20 goals, 50 goals, 800 points, 1,000 points. A lot of milestones this year."

Pastrnak has seven goals and 15 points in his last 11 games.

On Friday, forward A.J. Greer will have a hearing with NHL Player Safety after being assessed a five-minute major and a game misconduct for a cross-check to Montreal's Mike Hoffman's face during Thursday's first period.

The Lightning (42-25-7, 90 points) are 5-4-1 in their last 10, having lost three straight -- including Thursday's 7-2 loss to Ottawa -- following a three-game win streak.

Tampa has scored just twice in each of its recent losses, with Thursday's game marking the third since February in which it allowed seven goals. A four-goal third period blew open Ottawa's lead.

"We fed everything they did, and it's unfortunate," Tampa coach Jon Cooper said. "We're having a little tough stretch here, but it's all self-inflicted. I'm just not sure when they're going to learn, but they're learning tough lessons."

Brayden Point and Mikhail Sergachev scored the Lightning goals, both of which were assisted by Steven Stamkos and Nikita Kucherov.

Stamkos has three goals and five assists during a five-game point streak.

On Thursday, though, it was far too little. The Lightning will have to correct the turnover issue quickly while readying for the NHL's best team.

"I think there is a little bit of feeling sorry for ourselves, a tiny bit," Cooper said. "I think that's what makes it tough. They know they're making these mistakes."

Last edited:

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Allllllllrighty folks. This one is a good one. No f***ing around boys. Be ready to play from puck drop. Get your passes together. Shoot the puck. Hear that one guy in the nosebleeds that yells "shooooot" and please shoot it. Enough standing around and trying to make the perfect pass. It's okay to be gritty. Go hard to the net. Call up Savvy and ask him for PP tips or something please.
Be physical early. Play smart. Heads up. No injuries.

You already know the drill!
giphy.gif

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
The B's have their work cut out for them this weekend with another B2B starting with the Bolts

The Canes (once again) get the B's for the 2nd game on a B2B in Carolina....but at least the Canes also have to play a B2B this weekend

It would be nice to win both games, but the most important thing to me is avoiding injuries with only 11 games left in the regular season

GO BRUINS!!!

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
This should be a good game, the Bruins usually step up when playing a more formidable opponent.
Let's get out of this with no injuries, I think Tampa wants the points to try to get home ice against the Leafs, so they have something to play for. No injuries!!

I told my daughter we were switching supper plans around for Sat/Sun, she looked at me and said "it's about hockey isn't it?"..... "maybe"......lol

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Listening to Morning Bru from yesterday and they said Bertuzzi has found a place in the city and his family is finally in Boston.

Jaffe said he suspects that Forbort has a hairline fracture in his foot. That makes sense given his timeline.

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
Should be a good one and I will miss it because of work but that will be changing as I am retiring in Aug. of 2024. If they play their A game then they should be ok. I think the scheduling is crazy as each weekends it has Boston playing back to back games. I would of rather seen todays game be at Carolina because with travel time it usually favors the team who is at home and does not travel as Carolina plays the Leafs tonight in Carolina. Well maybe the Bruins can surprise us and if so it should show what this Bruins team brings to the table. "Here We Go Bruins", "Here We Go".

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I would love to see Pasta get #50 today!

Congrats to Orlov for game # 700. What a wonderful addition you have been top the Bs

Please win today and do not get injured.

Hey Steve, I hope the Bruis win today!

1679743873360.png

HERE WE GO BRUINS...HERE WE GO :clap::clap:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Tampa are sleepwalking into the playoffs and while they have little to play for at present, I remain pretty confident that it's not all down to lack of motivation and their best is now behind them. Some key players have been lost and BriseBois is getting diminishing returns at the trade table these days.

That said, they are still dangerous and I think this is the kind of game they'll get up and about for and put a better effort in. Fortunately the Bruins should too. They've been fairly consistent in bringing their A or at least their B+ game when playing genuine competitors, and they will not take the Bolts lightly.

Should be a good one, expect a bit of feistiness. Think the Bruins will come away with the points.

Stu Pidassle

Feb 7, 2013
Boston North Shore
Listening to Morning Bru from yesterday and they said Bertuzzi has found a place in the city and his family is finally in Boston.

Jaffe said he suspects that Forbort has a hairline fracture in his foot. That makes sense given his timeline.
In this day and age I don't understand why skates haven't evolved to the point where they protect against these kind of injuries. Even with the materials like Kevlar it must be that an armored skate would still be too heavy or bulky to be practical. Hopefully someone will figure it out soon, too many injuries from blocking shots.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I think you will see both teams show up for this one, the Bruins are the better team but Vasi and their PP always make them a threat to win any game. Hopefully our anemic PP shows some life this game.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
well, it's back to a split schedule again.... will hope to see parts of the next two games but other commitments are in play this afternoon....

Reactions: BMC

PastaBaked

May 8, 2021
I'll look at this as pure entertainment - the gains from winning this one is pretty cosmetic for both teams - although, of course, i'll be pulling hard for them to win.

Tampa has a well earned rep for dirty play, especially when behind, so if the Bruins get even a sniff of that stuff today i'd like them to target one of their stars (preferably Kucherov) and crush him into the ice/boards/both.

Bring that same energy that they brought to the Habs when they stepped over the line - keep sending the message that we aren't the charmin soft Cassidy Bruins - the Montgomery Bruins do the ass-kicking.

Prediction: Bruins 5 Lightning 4

JDB keeps post-injury hot streak going with 2 assists
Marchy plays one of his best games of the season
Plenty of penalty minutes for both sides.

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad