BRUINS GDT GAME 71 - THE BEAR plans to ground the Lightning - NESN, NHLN, SN1, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM ( NO ESPN+ )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1649398368662.png

1649399106445.png

1649398595238.png
1649398653319.png

The Tampa Bay Lightning are trying to stay positive in the midst of their fifth three-game losing streak of the season.

The Lightning (43-20-7, 93 points) will attempt to end the skid Friday night when they host the rival Boston Bruins (44-21-5, 93 points).

The winner will assume sole possession of third place in the Atlantic Division.

"It feels like every mistake right now is kind of ending up in the back of our net, so it's tough not to get frustrated," Tampa Bay captain Steven Stamkos said following his team's 4-3 loss to the Washington Capitals on Wednesday.

"We just have to continue to work our way through it. We have a lot of veteran leadership on this team that we know we can work our way out of it."

Stamkos set up Nicholas Paul late in the first period to extend his point streak to eight games (five goals, eight assists).

Stamkos, who leads the team in goals (32) and points (79), has tallied twice in three meetings with Boston this season. He has 25 goals and 36 points in 44 career encounters against the Bruins.

Former Hart Trophy recipient Nikita Kucherov scored a goal in his third consecutive contest Wednesday to extend his season-high point streak to six games (three goals, eight assists). He had an assist in the Lightning's 3-2 loss in Boston on March 24.

Tampa Bay coach Jon Cooper is keeping a stiff upper lip about his team's recent struggles.

"Right now, we're just missing in some areas," Cooper said. "The boys, they battled ... there wasn't quit in them; we just fell one short."

Falling short hasn't been a common occurrence for Boston, which enjoyed a sterling 17-3-1 stretch before losing 5-3 in Detroit on Tuesday.

Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy took issue with a punchless power play that has failed on all nine of its opportunities over the past two games, including an 0-for-4 effort vs. the Red Wings. And he wasn't willing to use the absence of star David Pastrnak (undisclosed) as an excuse.

"We were static. Really, really static lately, even with (Pastrnak). It's a problem," Cassidy said. "Our power play used to snap it around. We've gotten to the point where it's too much, hold it, look, look, look. We've got to start moving the puck to open up some of those plays we typically make."

Pastrnak has five of his team-leading 38 goals against the Lightning this season. He scored two in a 5-2 romp in Tampa Bay on Jan. 8 before notching his 12th career hat trick on March 24.

Captain Patrice Bergeron collected a goal and an assist Tuesday to boost his point total to 12 (three goals, nine assists) in his past nine games.

Defenseman Charlie McAvoy, who leads the team with 42 assists, has set up 10 goals during his six-game assist streak. He began that run after being held off the scoresheet vs. Tampa Bay on March 24.

Jake DeBrusk also was held without a point in that contest. He responded with six goals and two assists during a five-game point streak before being held in check by the Red Wings on Tuesday.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
3 weeks left and the cat and mouse game for seeding is in full throttle.

Florida has the upper hand to be the #1 seed and would meet WC2 (Washington)
WC1 will play either Carolina or the Rangers

It is safe to assume the Bruins do not want to meet Carolina in Round 1 but any matchup will be a tough battle.

The fact that Cassidy is going with Linus tonight tells me they have not decided who will be their #1 goalie for the playoffs and they may both be used in the first round.

This is going to be a fascinating 3 weeks.

1649402488576.png

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I was super hyped for the Toronto game and that turned out to be a dud. I haven't been as hyped for this one, largely because I hate this Tampa team. Toronto is a fun rivalry, and I have great respect for them when we lose. TB I flat out despise and can't stand losing to those (cap-circumventing) punks.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
3 weeks left and the cat and mouse game for seeding is in full throttle.

Florida has the upper hand to be the #1 seed and would meet WC2 (Washington)
WC1 will play either Carolina or the Rangers

It is safe to assume the Bruins do not want to meet Carolina in Round 1 but any matchup will be a tough battle.

The fact that Cassidy is going with Linus tonight tells me they have not decided who will be their #1 goalie for the playoffs and they may both be used in the first round.

This is going to be a fascinating 3 weeks.

View attachment 528329

I am not normally a fan of using rotating goalies in playoff series but it might be the Bruins' best option this year. Ullmark and Swayman have both ebbed and flowed during the season. Sway started hot but then cooled a little, and Linus was then probably the better goalie through December-January after a rough beginning. But then Swayman went on a tear after returning from Providence, until he's stumbled in the last couple of weeks. Ullmark couldn't match that level, but he's stuck around and elevated a little in his last 2-3 starts, such that to me he's now been the stronger hand in net again in the last little while.

Put all that together and it tells me that Jeremy's best is a cut above Ullmark's, but the latter is probably slightly more consistent and a little more well-rounded at this point in his career. Neither have any playoff experience. At this point I still lean just towards Swayman as being in net for G1 of the 1st round, but with a full expectation that Ullmark will see some game time even if the Bruins are ahead in the series, unless Sway absolutely goes lights out.

As it stands I think our goalie situation is ok - doesn't fill me with either fear or confidence, just a sense that they'll give the team a fair chance but won't be stealing games or saving the team's bacon on too many defensive lapses. Could be better, could also be much worse.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I was super hyped for the Toronto game and that turned out to be a dud. I haven't been as hyped for this one, largely because I hate this Tampa team. Toronto is a fun rivalry, and I have great respect for them when we lose. TB I flat out despise and can't stand losing to those (cap-circumventing) punks.

Toronto is a team I will always hate no matter what. I do not like that franchise whatsoever and even if they had the classiest of players on that team, I will always root against them.

Tampa is a team that I hate right now due to the players on the team. Every team goes through tons of turnover over the years and I likely will be indifferent about them 6-7 years from now.

It's similar to the Habs and Canucks of 2011. Still hate the Habs of course. Canucks are alright nowadays.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Going to need someone to step up tonight with Pastrnak out. In the season series thus far vs Tampa, Pastrnak accounts for 50% of the Bruins goals scored. The others who've scored vs Tampa this year:

Marchand - 2 goals
Coyle - 1 goal
Blidh - 1 goal
Lazar - 1 goal

Tampa currently ranks as the 7th best home team in the NHL based on P% and +19 in goals. Boston currently ranks as the 2nd best road team in the NHL based on P% and a +23 in goals.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Of Tampa, Toronto, and Boston - the Bruins have the more difficult schedule to finish up the season. It won't come easy to finish higher than a wildcard for Boston they will need to earn it. One game each against Tampa, Florida, and Toronto remaining. 2 games each against Pittsburgh and St. Loius. One game against the Rangers and one against Washington. That's 9 of their remaining 12 games ... the other 3 games are Ottawa, Montreal, and Buffalo.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Of Tampa, Toronto, and Boston - the Bruins have the more difficult schedule to finish up the season. It won't come easy to finish higher than a wildcard for Boston they will need to earn it. One game each against Tampa, Florida, and Toronto remaining. 2 games each against Pittsburgh and St. Loius. One game against the Rangers and one against Washington. That's 9 of their remaining 12 games ... the other 3 games are Ottawa, Montreal, and Buffalo.

At this point I just want the Bruins to get in with no more injuries, they can deal with who their opponent is going to be when they know.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Fear the Leafs?
We shouldn’t? Bruins haven’t exactly looked good against them,we going to say our goaltending is better,we don’t know that zero playoffs experience, Swayman has struggled lately. The last three times we faced them in playoffs, 7 game series and I thought the Bruins were significantly better teams than the Leafs .If the Leafs get out in front ,I’m not convinced this current Bruins team can make another big comeback.Also not convinced Tampa is motivated for another big run, and the first round tends to be the hardest for teams that are favoured.

Reactions: Gordoff and sooshii

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Fear the Leafs?
The amount of disrespect they're getting is insane. They wiped the Bruins twice this season, they actually score and their core players have taken huge steps forward. They're not going to be this "doormat" forever. This isn't their 2013 team, and even their last team that played the Bruins went 7 games. I don't think the Bruins match up well against them anymore.

They'll be tough for the Bruins in the post season. I would also want Tampa over Toronto.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
We shouldn’t? Bruins haven’t exactly looked good against them,we going to say our goaltending is better,we don’t know that zero playoffs experience, Swayman has struggled lately. The last three times we faced them in playoffs, 7 game series and I thought the Bruins were significantly better teams than the Leafs .If the Leafs get out in front ,I’m not convinced this current Bruins team can make another big comeback.Also not convinced Tampa is motivated for another big run, and the first round tends to be the hardest for teams that are favoured.

We should fear them all.

Bruins will be underdogs to whoever they play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad