GDT: Game 70: Vegas Golden Knights @ Calgary Flames | 6:30PM | Someone Stole an Hour Edition

Why was Faylight Savings Invented

• Total voters

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Flames fan, just thought I'd say that I didn't think that was even Vegas' B-Game never mind their A-Game, so I'm not personally reading much into it (or really, any game these two teams have played this season because the only one where both teams showed up was skewed by dubious officiating).

Just came to say I'm looking forward to a playoff series with you guys, whether it's in the first round or the second.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I expected a loss, even forecasted it in my tracker. Too bad, they were keeping it pretty close and I'll believe to my grave that the outcome was different had Fleury been in.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I expected a loss, even forecasted it in my tracker. Too bad, they were keeping it pretty close and I'll believe to my grave that the outcome was different had Fleury been in.

It was a 3-5 loss without the empty netter and after reviewing the goals again, I saw zero softies (not even their 2nd).

In practice, these were all high danger shots. Considering all the great saves Sub had, it would have been an insane night for any goalie to turn this into a win.

KeithfromCanada

Mar 3, 2019
Flames fan, just thought I'd say that I didn't think that was even Vegas' B-Game never mind their A-Game, so I'm not personally reading much into it (or really, any game these two teams have played this season because the only one where both teams showed up was skewed by dubious officiating).

Just came to say I'm looking forward to a playoff series with you guys, whether it's in the first round or the second.

I'd agree with that. The Flames were the recipients of WAY more odd man rushes than I've seen this team give up. I was also surprised at how easy life was for your Johnny G and Tkachuk line. In a playoff series, I would expect that they'd be contained a bit more than we saw tonight.

Overall, these teams appear to be well matched and the hockey is fun to watch. I'd personally love to see a playoff matchup between them.

KeithfromCanada

Mar 3, 2019
It was a 3-5 loss without the empty netter and after reviewing the goals again, I saw zero softies (not even their 2nd).

In practice, these were all high danger shots. Considering all the great saves Sub had, it would have been an insane night for any goalie to turn this into a win.

Players play differently in front of different goalies. In the two games I've seen with Subban in the nets, the team played much more offensive minded and gave up a lot more chances because of it. Not sure why they do this but it's human nature to either try and protect a goalie or turn it into a run and gun game to compensate for goals you expect the goalie to give up.

Reactions: Aurinko

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Players play differently in front of different goalies. In the two games I've seen with Subban in the nets, the team played much more offensive minded and gave up a lot more chances because of it. Not sure why they do this but it's human nature to either try and protect a goalie or turn it into a run and gun game to compensate for goals you expect the goalie to give up.

You are 100% right on this.

I didn't want to consider it that far, I speculating more with the shot quality.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I find we tend to play more offensive minded and give up more chances at the end of a b2b, which is why MAF should play those games. Florida game felt like one of those in that sense.

Reactions: IceNeophyte

CBJ VGK

May 19, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Was really surprised Subban didn't play @ Vancouver and Fleury @ Calgary, seeing how we dismantled the Canucks a week ago at T-Mobile and Calgary was going to be the far tougher game.

Not saying last night's outcome would have been different, but Subban was very slow on several goals to the far side. He just doesn't seem to have the anticipation that MAF does in those situations.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Was really surprised Subban didn't play @ Vancouver and Fleury @ Calgary, seeing how we dismantled the Canucks a week ago at T-Mobile and Calgary was going to be the far tougher game.

Not saying last night's outcome would have been different, but Subban was very slow on several goals to the far side. He just doesn't seem to have the anticipation that MAF does in those situations.
Reversing the starts was likely the right move in a vacuum. However, given the emergency call up and the Fleury pregnancy scenario, it leads me to believe that they knew there was a chance that Mrs. Fleury was going to be delivering soon and wanted to get the Fleury game in ASAP so Subban wasn't going B2B (or going Subban/Emergency Call Up Legace vs Calgary) if the time came and MAF had to leave the trip.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

CBJ VGK

May 19, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Reversing the starts was likely the right move in a vacuum. However, given the emergency call up and the Fleury pregnancy scenario, it leads me to believe that they knew there was a chance that Mrs. Fleury was going to be delivering soon and wanted to get the Fleury game in ASAP so Subban wasn't going B2B (or going Subban/Emergency Call Up Legace vs Calgary) if the time came and MAF had to leave the trip.
I agree. That is probably what precipitated the decision.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Team needs a better backup next season. Problem is i don't know if they will be able to afford one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad