GDT: Game 70: Columbus @ Boston | 7 PM EST

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Off topic but I am curious
Would you trade the lower number 1 pick this year for an upgrade on defense?
I’ll hang up and listen

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Well poop… bummer of an ending.

Interested to see if anything happens with 63. Guessing fine at most.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Off topic but I am curious
Would you trade the lower number 1 pick this year for an upgrade on defense?
I’ll hang up and listen
Depending who it is, yeah
so who might you think would be a trade partner or a target
And please if you want to move this to another thread go right ahead
I’m too tired to figure it out

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I really do think that Jarmo and company know this team is soft. However the plan is to figure out which “skilled” players are worth keeping/developing and which ones aren’t. This was always a rebuild/reset/re-whatever you want to call it year, this offseason will be a time to adjust the plan and get some grit in here. As evidenced earlier, jarmo knew this was going to be an issue with this team. Which is why he wanted Rinaldo to be a policeman for both the kids in the minors and up here when needed.

Grit is so much easier to acquire than skill is. Even if both are important. If we can get the skill positions taken care of, we can then start investing in the grit and toughness.

Remember when we beat Tampa, called them soft, and they went out and got Maroon and other bigger dudes to make them bigger and stronger? That’s the plan I believe jarmo is trying to go for.

I don't like that order of operations. There is never a time where you want your team to be short on grit/strength. I understand the need to sort out your skill players but that doesn't require the use of every spare roster spot on the team. The ease of acquiring grit doesn't mean you should do it last - water is cheap but you still need to drink it.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't like that order of operations. There is never a time where you want your team to be short on grit/strength. I understand the need to sort out your skill players but that doesn't require the use of every spare roster spot on the team. The ease of acquiring grit doesn't mean you should do it last - water is cheap but you still need to drink it.
Tampa did it. Toronto did it. Florida did it. Why not us?

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
"When Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen gets to work this summer on the next stages of the “restart,” an emphasis must be placed on adding two or three players — yes, that many — who can stand up to the toughest players across the league." - Portzline
This is kinda a semantics thing but I think adding 2 guys like that would be plenty. Then the Peeke, Boone, Kuraly ensemble can be the "secondary" tough guys.

Reactions: majormajor

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
It's funny to remember that this is the guy that folks thought was close to done in this league and we ought to unload. He's one of the fastest players out there! Also 30 points so far in 2022.
And props to him. He really turned his season around in the fly after a year off. I would have never guessed he could get to this level with how poorly he started. What he's done this year is not easy.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Tampa did it. Toronto did it. Florida did it. Why not us?
Yeah, it doesn’t do a lot of good when your evaluating all the young talent , to take them out for a guy that only brings fighting and physicality. I think that’s the last piece you start to add
Doesn't do any good to have their head smashed like a bug on the windshield either.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Yeah, it doesn’t do a lot of good when your evaluating all the young talent , to take them out for a guy that only brings fighting and physicality. I think that’s the last piece you start to add
I don’t like that we get pushed around either but I don’t think we necessarily have to take out the Chinakhov’s, Sillinger’s, and bemstroms on the team to do it. Their development is more important especially right now

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Doesn't do any good to have their head smashed like a bug on the windshield either.
This is a relatively new complaint on this board. Nobody was complaining much prior to the first Minnesota game.

It’s an issue. A big issue. But it’s not like we’ve been getting abused all season. Most teams are just as soft as we are

Reactions: LJ7

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I'm still more worried about the team defense. Hopefully the FO can get two birds stoned at once with a few tough guys who do well defensively.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This is a relatively new complaint on this board. Nobody was complaining much prior to the first Minnesota game.

It’s an issue. A big issue. But it’s not like we’ve been getting abused all season. Most teams are just as soft as we are
I've been talking about it the whole time, and I think we're softer than most teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad