GDT: Game 70 | CBJ @ WSH | End of the Road Trip | 7 PM EST

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't know if it's worth the two points in the standings but there were a lot of things tonight that could give hope going into next year. Whoever we draft (and they'll be a great talent) that's still only one player. We have a lot of young talents to develop already on the team.

Two more assists for KJ.

Laine 4 assists in 2 games at center.

Boqvist is a serious marksman.

Heck even Bemmer and Foudy have been scoring lately. They might figure into next year's lineup, and if not we can get a little something for them.
Only 3. 4 was in 6:5.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Only 3. 4 was in 6:5.

True it wasn't center specific, but neither is it when McDavid gets an assist on the powerplay. Let's just say 4 assists in the two games where he's played center.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I don't know if it's worth the two points in the standings but there were a lot of things tonight that could give hope going into next year. Whoever we draft (and they'll be a great talent) that's still only one player. We have a lot of young talents to develop already on the team.

Two more assists for KJ.

Laine 4 assists in 2 games at center.

Boqvist is a serious marksman.

Heck even Bemmer and Foudy have been scoring lately. They might figure into next year's lineup, and if not we can get a little something for them.
I think in the case of 19 and 52, it might help them knowing they won’t be scratched after a bad game. Nobody is here to replace them, so they can play worry free.

Reactions: LJ7 and VT

614 CBJ

Jul 12, 2022
Raleigh, NC
Laine at center quickly turned from what to hell to very intriguing

surprised to see he was 5/9 in faceoffs....needs to keep working with Kuraly though

Reactions: I3LI3

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He took 9 faceoffs guys. I don’t think this center project is actually him playing it full time

Reactions: thebus88

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
That’s good. I’d hate for people to think he’s a 1C in the making.

Why?

Unless we find an adequate 1 C from the open market, someone needs to play that position next season because the younger guys aren't physically ready. Laine needs to work hard on faceoffs, and get more repeats as C to get the positioning right but there's no reason he couldn't fill that spot.

As we can see, there's much more options on wings than centers. As he shows he can do that job, we're not going to be in a position to use him as winger next season. Center is teams weakness and this can help in that until the youth grows

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

It's not like people have been anointing him as the franchise #1C, it's a guy playing a completely new position for him in a rather sheltered role, and doing pretty well with it, there's not much you can conclude from 30 minutes of hockey like that. Why not just enjoy his relative success this far and see where it goes?

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
He took 9 faceoffs guys. I don’t think this center project is actually him playing it full time
Who knows what comes out of the experiment, but I don't think you can make a conclusion of the longevity of this center project based on that he only took 9 faceoffs in a single game. For sure they know he has a lot of work to do with faceoffs so that's why the coach gives their line more rolling starts, even if he now won most of the faceoffs.

Still 5 out of 9 is pretty nice compared to 3 out of 18 or something he had in the first, so I guess it's easy to believe that he is really putting his training effort on faceoffs right now.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think everyone is aware of that.

What are the reasons you think Laine won't be able to become a 1C? Or won't be able to play center effectively, if that's what you're thinking?

I honestly can't tell. I think he might not have enough quickness to run transition but I'm not sure, and there can be a lot of passing involved in transition that he might be good at, I'm just going to wait and see how it goes.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
:amazed::banghead::headache:

A quintessential late season win in the most Jackets way. Give up 6 goals and win. Oy!

Credit to them for not actually tanking and continuing to play to win.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Why?

Unless we find an adequate 1 C from the open market, someone needs to play that position next season because the younger guys aren't physically ready. Laine needs to work hard on faceoffs, and get more repeats as C to get the positioning right but there's no reason he couldn't fill that spot.

As we can see, there's much more options on wings than centers. As he shows he can do that job, we're not going to be in a position to use him as winger next season. Center is teams weakness and this can help in that until the youth grows
I was hoping we’d draft our future 1C this year.
It's not like people have been anointing him as the franchise #1C, it's a guy playing a completely new position for him in a rather sheltered role, and doing pretty well with it, there's not much you can conclude from 30 minutes of hockey like that. Why not just enjoy his relative success this far and see where it goes?
I agree. Admittedly, I was just salty because of us winning last night. His analytical numbers are actually looking pretty good, but I more point to Gaudreau for that. So who knows.
Who knows what comes out of the experiment, but I don't think you can make a conclusion of the longevity of this center project based on that he only took 9 faceoffs in a single game. For sure they know he has a lot of work to do with faceoffs so that's why the coach gives their line more rolling starts, even if he now won most of the faceoffs.

Still 5 out of 9 is pretty nice compared to 3 out of 18 or something he had in the first, so I guess it's easy to believe that he is really putting his training effort on faceoffs right now.
Yeah, and admittedly faceoffs don’t make or break a center. If I recall, PLD was awful at faceoffs too when he was younger. As was Johansen. As was Wennberg. It takes time to get good at it, even if you’re a natural center man.

Again, I was just salty last night so I apologize to all

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I think in the case of 19 and 52, it might help them knowing they won’t be scratched after a bad game. Nobody is here to replace them, so they can play worry free.
HAHAHAHAHAHA YOU THOUGHT!

Forgot Larsen will scratch him after a good game. Forever the whipping boy. Same statline as Nyquist, but thought to be Corey Tropp.

Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad