GDT: Game 70: Avs @ Jets | Saturday, March 12th, 5pm MT | Turtle Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Why are you worrying? They're committed to a deep AHL/farm system just like Tampa has, and they'll build it through the draft. They said so, so it's true.

Duh, TV. ;)

You can own the farm and plant as many seeds as possible, but if you don't know how to develop and harvest the crops, you still end up having to go buy your dinner.

Sadly I think our farmers have not had green thumbs in over a decade.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Do these players (edit: and of course coaches) ever learn? Such an important game and they just piss away a 2:0 lead again. Avs under Roy are the biggest chokers.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
On the bright Side EJ is back, maybe Roy goes back to the drawing board with some of his line combinations after the loss, trying to stay optimistic here.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Doesn't seem like they're bothering to call anyone up, even the bottom 6 guys have their job secure with no risk of being scratched unless they get injured.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
What did Redmond do that was so bad on that 3rd goal? Comeau flubbed the pass. And then Comeau basically tried to smack the puck away from Redmond who had got to the loose puck first, which tied them up and allowed the defender to come in and poke the puck away from both of them.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
12 games left, one against Minny. There is plenty of hope.
Do we really want to see this team in the playoffs, though? I found it difficult enough to watch them not give a crap in the playoff games in Saint Paul two years ago, and this year's team seems to have even less heart.

I think it's better for them to miss the playoffs, get a coach who can get them to work and to play smart, modern hockey and to start fresh next year.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Do we really want to see this team in the playoffs, though? I found it difficult enough to watch them not give a crap in the playoff games in Saint Paul two years ago, and this year's team seems to have even less heart.

I think it's better for them to miss the playoffs, get a coach who can get them to work and to play smart, modern hockey and to start fresh next year.

I want to see this team in the playoffs more than anything. I wouldn't expect much but that type of excitement is why I'm a hockey fan. I honestly don't think the Avs have as good a team as Minny but yet somehow we're still neck and neck with them.

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
I want to see this team in the playoffs more than anything. I wouldn't expect much but that type of excitement is why I'm a hockey fan. I honestly don't think the Avs have as good a team as Minny but yet somehow we're still neck and neck with them.

Took me awhile to accept, but Minny is a better team. I think the guys pushed hard for the playoff, they just may miss it because lack of talent.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015

The key word here is "work". Simply put, the Avs don't have enough character guys willing to do the unpleasant, 200-foot grunt work nescessary to consistently put away opponents who don't just throw in the towel when trailing after 2 periods. And once the other team starts their push in the 3rd period, the Avs predictably fold like a tent in a gale force wind. It's funny actually, if it wasn't so pathetic.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I know we just lost, which means we're the worst team ever and we'll never win anything with this core, but you guys massively over-rate the Wild. That team sucks every bit as much as we do.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I know we just lost, which means we're the worst team ever and we'll never win anything with this core, but you guys massively over-rate the Wild. That team sucks every bit as much as we do.

Yeah, you're probably right. It does seem like a "who wants it less" sort of thing here...

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007

I do not like many of their players, and find them to be quite over rated individually. Aside from Parise and Suter obviously. But they play as a unit when they are on the ice. It has been too long since the Avs played like a team with cohesion, and like they could control the game. There is lots of reliance on individual skill and one man plays for them to see success. It just isn't going to work. It was different when you had Sakic and Forsberg, who could will their teams to win. The Avs don't have those players. There isn't as much separation in the top players of the league anymore.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I do not like many of their players, and find them to be quite over rated individually. Aside from Parise and Suter obviously. But they play as a unit when they are on the ice. It has been too long since the Avs played like a team with cohesion, and like they could control the game. There is lots of reliance on individual skill and one man plays for them to see success. It just isn't going to work. It was different when you had Sakic and Forsberg, who could will their teams to win. The Avs don't have those players. There isn't as much separation in the top players of the league anymore.

Serious question. Do you watch the Wild much when they're not playing against us? Cause sure, they do play as a cohesive unit...when facing us; but that's not the norm.

...nevermind that we played like a team with cohesion, who could control the game, in our very last match against the Ducks...

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What did Redmond do that was so bad on that 3rd goal? Comeau flubbed the pass. And then Comeau basically tried to smack the puck away from Redmond who had got to the loose puck first, which tied them up and allowed the defender to come in and poke the puck away from both of them.

He sent a grenade into Comeau's feet, and then when it bounced back to him, he tried to dangle around Kosmachuk standing still, instead of just chipping it to a safe area, so he didn't risk a turnover in the neutral zone, and possible 2 on 1.

He played it like it was the first period of a pre-season game, not the 3rd period with the season on the line. That's the game management failures this team (most notably the defenseman) can't seem too fully grasp.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Anybody know what Rycroft said last night?

I saw the 2nd intermission where he said that Avs let the Jets back in the game with the three straight power plays, but it was still in Avs control. I wonder if he was extremely frustrated after seeing that third.

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
Yeah, the Wild are just as bad as we are and their leadership group is terrible. They just always play well against us and we have a mental block for some reason whenever there's a matchup with Minny.

If the Avs would have just held on first game of the season, they'd have a 4 point cushion.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
He sent a grenade into Comeau's feet, and then when it bounced back to him, he tried to dangle around Kosmachuk standing still, instead of just chipping it to a safe area, so he didn't risk a turnover in the neutral zone, and possible 2 on 1.

He played it like it was the first period of a pre-season game, not the 3rd period with the season on the line. That's the game management failures this team (most notably the defenseman) can't seem too fully grasp.

A grenade? That was a controllable pass. Comeau had his stick right there in front of his feet. He should have got that pass. He just had to move his stick back a few inches, but he thought he could be corral it with his feet.

He didn't have time to try anything. He had to hesitate for a split second because Comeau's leg was right in front of the puck. Then as soon as Comeau spun out of the way he swatted his stick at the puck, literally blocking Redmond's pass/chip at the point of contact with the puck. In slow motion you can even see Redmond's stick flex against the ice as he starts his passing/chip motion. All Comeau had to do was leave the puck alone and the puck is being passed or chipped down the ice before Kosmachuk has time to get into the play.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
A grenade? That was a controllable pass. Comeau had his stick right there in front of his feet. He should have got that pass. He just had to move his stick back a few inches, but he thought he could be corral it with his feet.

He didn't have time to try anything. He had to hesitate for a split second because Comeau's leg was right in front of the puck. Then as soon as Comeau spun out of the way he swatted his stick at the puck, literally blocking Redmond's pass/chip at the point of contact with the puck. In slow motion you can even see Redmond's stick flex against the ice as he starts his passing/chip motion. All Comeau had to do was leave the puck alone and the puck is being passed or chipped down the ice before Kosmachuk has time to get into the play.

Controlling a rocket pass like that on the tip of your backhand is a lot harder than you think. Not everyone has Matt Duchene's abilty to handle bad passes.

Tie game in the 3rd he tried to make an aggressive step up on a puck, then made a bad pass, then compounded the problem again by stepping further into the neutral zone aggressively to play the puck instead of moving back in position to defend, and it still didn't work out. It's what Roy has been preaching about game management, and picking your spots.

Comeau's reaction afterward just trying to find a loose puck before it gets turned over in the neutral zone is exactly why you don't step up and slap pass a puck in your teammates feet in the first place. It leads to all kinds of problems. It was a rookie defensive play.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Controlling a rocket pass like that on the tip of your backhand is a lot harder than you think. Not everyone has Matt Duchene's abilty to handle bad passes.

Tie game in the 3rd he tried to make an aggressive step up on a puck, then made a bad pass, then compounded the problem again by stepping further into the neutral zone aggressively to play the puck instead of moving back in position to defend, and it still didn't work out. It's what Roy has been preaching about game management, and picking your spots.

Comeau's reaction afterward just trying to find a loose puck before it gets turned over in the neutral zone is exactly why you don't step up and slap pass a puck in your teammates feet in the first place. It leads to all kinds of problems. It was a rookie defensive play.

Everyone knows how I feel about Blake but even if I could say something bad about him on that play I really cant. It was a dumb pass to the feet of Comeau by a dumb hockey player in Zach Redmond. All Redmond needed to do on that play was a soft chip off the boards so Comeau could skate into the puck. He does that and there would be no issue. Even if the Jets defender were to chip it back out immediately Redmond would be in position for an attack. When Roy talks about managing the puck late in a game I think this is the **** he's talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad