GDT: Game #70 - 3/15 9 PM - B's try to extinguish Flames | NESN. SN, WBZ-FM 98.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Calgary Flames have been the talk of the NHL lately and for good reason. Their winning streak is now at 10 after a 4-3 shootout victory over Sidney Crosby and the defending champions from Pittsburgh.

The Flames have now moved into second in the Pacific Division, tied with the Anaheim Ducks at 82 points. The 10 wins tie a franchise record that’s stood for 38 years, when the team was still based in Atlanta.

The Flames are now the fourth team this season to have a 10-game winning streak. The Flyers had a 10-gamer split between November and December. The Minnesota Wild won 12 in a row in December. And the Columbus Blue Jackets had 16 in a row from Nov. 29 to Jan. 3.

The Flames will look to set a new franchise record with their 11th win when they host the Boston Bruins on Wednesday. At this point, is there any reason to think they won't do it?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/five-things-learned-nhl-flames-cant-stopped/

23C97oZ.jpg

4JAMAyk.jpg
NEp9Wyl.jpg

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Dobby will be in net which IMO is the best option. Save Tuukka for Edmonton...and you never know, Dobby may just break the streak - it has to end eventually.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I'd lean a little more towards playing Rask here, but it's a close call. Calgary's overall a marginally better team who might be trying to play out of their minds tomorrow...so you'd want Rask there to try to win both games.

Also, it gives you a "second chance" option: let's say Rask stinks up the first period and gets pulled. You play Khudobin the rest of the game, and if Rask's head is on straight the next day, you can play Rask in Edmonton.

Playing Khudobin here and Rask in Edmonton is a slightly more conservative option: you're probably not going to win both games as often, but you're also probably not going to lose both games as often as you would if you flip the two.

I'd also like Rask here because it gives him a lot of rest before our next two games. It at least opens the door a little wider for Rask playing back-to-back against Toronto and Ottawa.

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal
So the Flames are red hot and we're playing Dobby against them? And the Oilers are trending down and we're going to play Rask against them? I find that surprising and I disagree with the decision. That's exactly what the Habs did the other day : they sent Montoya to the wolves to protect Price and then sent Price against the weaker Oilers team. We're paying top dollars for a premium goaltender, I want to see him play the best teams.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
So the Flames are red hot and we're playing Dobby against them? And the Oilers are trending down and we're going to play Rask against them? I find that surprising and I disagree with the decision. That's exactly what the Habs did the other day : they sent Montoya to the wolves to protect Price and then sent Price against the weaker Oilers team. We're paying top dollars for a premium goaltender, I want to see him play the best teams.

Most here are saying they would be happy with a split in Alberta....why not do it? Habs did not have back to back either. Two points is valuable. I agree with Cassidy.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Bruins have a chance to make a statement that they are not just a bubble team but a group that could make some noise in the playoffs.

I think they will come out of Alberta with 3 points.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
I'd lean a little more towards playing Rask here, but it's a close call. Calgary's overall a marginally better team who might be trying to play out of their minds tomorrow...so you'd want Rask there to try to win both games.

Also, it gives you a "second chance" option: let's say Rask stinks up the first period and gets pulled. You play Khudobin the rest of the game, and if Rask's head is on straight the next day, you can play Rask in Edmonton.

Playing Khudobin here and Rask in Edmonton is a slightly more conservative option: you're probably not going to win both games as often, but you're also probably not going to lose both games as often as you would if you flip the two.

I'd also like Rask here because it gives him a lot of rest before our next two games. It at least opens the door a little wider for Rask playing back-to-back against Toronto and Ottawa.

Good call by Cassidy on this one. I say it his because I will be at the Oilers game Thursday and would rather see Rask, selfish I know, but that's me. Not sure how many Bruins game I have been to live but they have only ever lost once, 6-1 to the Jets (their first tour in the NHL). I have seen them in Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton and Boston, so hoping the trend continues. The lose to Winnipeg was Rejean Lemilins last game as a Bruin.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I get why Calgary is favored tomorrow night; ten wins is no joke. But I mean, Boston's no chopped liver....the B's aren't a lottery pick kind of team right now, so I don't know why anyone would think they are just gonna get bulled over..

And plus, Marchy's hot. I'm hoping the BergyMarchyBackes line just wears the Flames out, and even if they don't score, one of the other three lines will do it for them.

I don't think Dobby' as bad as his record's shown. At least, i'm hoping not. He's done much better lately.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

Rask didn't have the greatest game in the world last night despite some nice saves in the 3rd . I think he could use an extra day to clear his head .

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal
Most here are saying they would be happy with a split in Alberta....why not do it? Habs did not have back to back either. Two points is valuable. I agree with Cassidy.

I don't personally agree with going for a split. The Bruins are on a roll and coming back with 3 road wins, including one against the hottest team in the NHL, would be huge. Confidence level would be at its peak for the playoffs.

Habs did not have back to back and yet decided to play Montoya. They'll come up with any excuse for why it was so but they are really just protecting Price. Just like when they decided to leave Montoya in net for 10 goals against Columbus and also went back with Montoya the next time they played Columbus.

I hope that the reason why the Bruins are playing Dobby against the Flames isn't to protect Rask. It's a winnable game and Bruins should go for it.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I feel oddly confident, like the flames have won 10 in a row but I don't think their roster is better than ours, should be a fun game.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Rask didn't have the greatest game in the world last night despite some nice saves in the 3rd . I think he could use an extra day to clear his head .

Excellent argument. Frankly, I don't think there's a right or a wrong answer in how you split the back-to-back...IMO, the only wrong answer would be pushing Rask for both games. (Well, okay, pushing Dobby for both would be even more wrong...) I was one of Claude's biggest supporters, but I'm kind of happy he's gone now, because I'd worry he'd be rolling Rask until we clinch.

Rask did manage to get his stuff together by the end of the game last night...and I'm glad he did, because the last goal the Canucks got is exactly the kind of goal that can mess with a goalie's mind. Maybe he's better, or maybe Cassidy

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Good call starting Dobby, he'll play well.

Rask has great record vs Flames..CLAUDE tried this last year vs Flames in Calgary (I was there)and they lit up the backup fast .I rather Dobby vs Oilers when team most likely tired on 2nd half of a back to back and odds of winning longer.Hate sitting Rask vs a team he owns.

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bruins will start Anton Khudobin in goal vs. Calgary

Anton Khudobin will face a stiff challenge on Wednesday. The Bruins backup goalie, who will start against Calgary, will try to stop the Flames from setting a franchise record by winning their 11th straight game. Khudobin stopped 15 of 17 shots in his last start, a 3-2 win over New Jersey on March 4.

Calgary, featuring a roster with ex-Bruins Dougie Hamilton, Dennis Wideman, and Matt Bartkowski, along with former Boston College dynamo Johnny Gaudreau, is rolling toward the playoffs. The Bruins, meanwhile, are doing their best to keep pace with Montreal and Ottawa while staying ahead of Toronto.

“They’ve got good pace to their game. Hopefully it brings out the best in ours, because I like those games,†said coach Bruce Cassidy. “I’m actually looking forward to the game. It should be a good one. A team you don’t see that often. But they’re going the way we’re going. It should be a good challenge.â€

By giving Khudobin the start against Calgary, Tuukka Rask will have two days of rest before playing Edmonton on Thursday. Rask will then be in line to start against Toronto on Monday.

Ryan Spooner (concussion) was one of eight skaters to participate in an optional skate Tuesday. Spooner could return to the lineup against the Flames after missing the last three games. Cassidy said he’s not certain who would come out if Spooner is ready to play.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I remember during a terrible start to the season, there was a thread on the main board suggesting the Flames had already tuned out Glen Gulutzan and he probably wouldn't last ten games.

Now he's likely in the conversation for the Jack Adams.

I remember when Matt Baahtkowski (loved hearing Brickley say his name!) was the whipping boy around here. Now we get to watch him play for someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia