Pre-Game Talk: Game 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Our best game of the series. 3/3 on the PP and a defensive masterclass.

It's what I hope for at least. We are the better team so go out there and prove it. Leave no doubt. A perfect game for McDavid to go off and put up 5 points.

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
Cucks are going to take risks, counter that with the speed and skill. Same as game 6. Some are already making excuses cuz no Demko.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Seems finally that the Oilers are getting some bounces. The Hyman goal, that sort of thing just wasn't happening. Or Booch seeing eye puck or Kane seeing eye puck. Earlier in series Silovs was making serial saves where he didn't even see the puck. It just hitting him.

But hockey can be really strange like that. Nucks have had a lot of puck fortune throughout season and playoffs. Seems to be drying up and their goalie is tired.

people haven't commented but Nucks are in the uncomfortable position of having played one goalie for so long, and now he's exhausted and they are kind of stuck because nobody else is game sharp. Do they change it up? That would be a big balls decision.

Thing is goaltending probably square off now. Nucks no longer getting that advantage. Oilers skill should be able to take this. We have several players going. With Nucks its only been Boeser and Miller really.
Tocchet flat out ruled out demko as he hasn't played in weeks and hasn't even been attending practices.

At this point they have to go with silovs. Finally their luck seems to be turning.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Historically, this type of situation doesn't favour the Oilers. I remember a few times in a game 6 where we played well and blew out the opposition in a do or die game, and then lost game 7 in their rink. Carolina,San Jose, Anaheim, are a few examples. Really, yesterday's result was obviously needed, but without winning tomorrow night, it really means absolutely nothing. You'd have to think the Canucks are going to pour it on from the opening whistle and we will need to withstand the onslaught. They basically had their "rest" last game, and it's going to be tough. Skinner will need to make every save he has too and then a few more. Nurse has keep his head out of his ass and make the simple plays and FOCUS all the time. McDavid and Drai need to pull out all the stops and play some defence as well. No mind cramps from Bouch. No overly aggressive penalties for Kane. Foegele and McLeod to actually Do Something rather than skate around real fast. And win the fair share of faceoffs!

Nice to see Charles Nelson Reilly in his day job, bringing the cup in along with Zeigler.:D

I understand and appreciate the skepticism, but I don't really buy that it matters much when the team is entirely different personnel. The only game 7s in the McDrai era are Anaheim (only a handful of players around from then, McDrai, Nurse, Nuge...anyone else?) that they lost (vs an experienced playoff team, not greenies like Vancouver) and the LA one (more of that same roster) that they won. If we're going to hand wring about the situations where no player was on that same roster, the last game 7 Vancouver played at home was the infamous game 7 loss to Boston in the finals in 2011. They also dropped multiple leads that series, so there would be a (silly) narrative for those players to worry about as well.

The Oilers will have to play their A game, and there is no momentum game to game, but the Canucks have also played one more game in the playoffs, more travel, and less rest. Could be that they are getting tired (it looked like it). Lack of energy from the Oilers game 5 was a lot to do with the illness sweeping through the room (Ekholm is still sick). Game could go either way but the Canucks likely regret letting this drag out and it could be a bridge too far at this point. Let's hope so

Reactions: Not Canada Drai

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Tocchet flat out ruled out demko as he hasn't played in weeks and hasn't even been attending practices.

At this point they have to go with silovs. Finally their luck seems to be turning.
I wouldn’t take that to bank until the puck drops and we see who actually is in the net. Lots of subterfuge happens in the play offs. You never know, he could miraculously rise from the dead and be their starter.

That said, it would be even more ballsy than playing Skinner in GM 6, to see Demko in the pipes of a game 7. He hasn’t had game action for 2 weeks and I don’t know if he’s had a full practice even.

I just wont believe anything said about injuries or playing status when it comes to the playoffs.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
RNH - McD - Hyman
Holloway - Drai - Kane
McLeod - Henrique - Foegele
Janmark - Carrick - Brown

Please.

A small part of me would scratch McLeod or Foegele for Henrique. More so McLeod, cause he drives me nuts when he's out there. Then Gagner is in for Ryan.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Honestly - there's part of me that thinks getting Perry back in the lineup for game 7 would be good.

Guys got 10 game sevens played in his career and has 9 points in those 10 games.

I'd consider taking Foegele out for him.

Hopefully Henrique is good to go too.

I thought of that as well. But Perry will need to be stapled on the fourth line and nothing more.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I’m not looking to stir shit up. Or at least I'm not meaning to. I did have to get dental floss out of my dogs ass though.

Sorry I get what you are saying. You have a point that there have been some eerily similar situations in the past that didn’t turn out great. I’m just saying in general the Canucks have failed in big pressure scenarios more than the Oilers.

So I guess you are correct in a way I’ll back down. I watched the game with about 6 Canuck fans last night. I think I’m still in defence mode.
No prob. Yah, that's kind of what I'm saying is that it's just eerily creepily similar to playoff situations gone by, except hopefully, this one writes it's own story and turns out the way we all want it to.

Same with what happened in a game 7 eight years ago or eighteen years ago, none of it matters. ;)
Just bringing up an eerily weird same type of situation from some past similar situations, not saying it matters. BTW, You forgot to post how many Monday night games the Canucks have won this year.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I understand and appreciate the skepticism, but I don't really buy that it matters much when the team is entirely different personnel. The only game 7s in the McDrai era are Anaheim (only a handful of players around from then, McDrai, Nurse, Nuge...anyone else?) that they lost (vs an experienced playoff team, not greenies like Vancouver) and the LA one (more of that same roster) that they won. If we're going to hand wring about the situations where no player was on that same roster, the last game 7 Vancouver played at home was the infamous game 7 loss to Boston in the finals in 2011. They also dropped multiple leads that series, so there would be a (silly) narrative for those players to worry about as well.

The Oilers will have to play their A game, and there is no momentum game to game, but the Canucks have also played one more game in the playoffs, more travel, and less rest. Could be that they are getting tired (it looked like it). Lack of energy from the Oilers game 5 was a lot to do with the illness sweeping through the room (Ekholm is still sick). Game could go either way but the Canucks likely regret letting this drag out and it could be a bridge too far at this point. Let's hope so
No skepticism intended. My point was more to the fact that the great result of last night is really meaningless without another positive result tomorrow, and it's been painfully shown to us in the past. . And as the playoffs continuously show, momentum is extremely tough to keep going. Each game seems to be on it's own merit from the starting whistle, regardless of what happened the games before, and even periods can be wildly different from each other within a game. Going to be one roller coaster ride tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

He’s been practicing and practicing harder and harder. I have a feeling Demko starts and Tochett is playing mind games (or trying to)

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
We taking this in 7 and the Oilers need all the fan support they can muster to make
It happen.

Hopefully this Pregame isn’t the cesspool of negativity that the other one was. But the serial doomers as usual disappear after a W and only participate when their favorite subject of shitting on everything Oilers arises again.
well said

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Already nervous about tomorrow..need a repeat performance of Game 6
The only way the Nucks have won is because the Oilers beat themselves
Game 1 they couldn’t hold a 4-1 lead..inexcusable
Game 3 Skinner can’t make a big save..Nucks barely hang on for the win
Game 5 Bouchard coughs up the puck on the tying goal and McDavid loses Miller with 30 seconds to go
Everything is saying Nucks win Game 7 but flip the script
These are legacy games for McDavid and Drai

Prove that tomorrow and f***ing win

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
We aren't going to lay an egg tomorrow, right? This play well 1 night, shit the bed the next is going to stop, right?!?!
Oilers have only shit the bed in game 5. Their game 1 wasn't great, but they got bounces and pissed it away on weak goals against. Vancouver was fortunate to win a game in games 2-4 where the Oilers dominated every aspect of each of those games except goaltending.

Skinner looked a bit shaky to start last night, but got himself dialled in as the game went on. Hopefully that carries over to tomorrow.

Reactions: Oilhawks

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
20622FEF-BC37-49DC-8213-318369271BD4.gif

6AFFC01E-8ACC-46DA-9664-00ED4FAFD974.gif

F34A61A0-E7E5-40DB-801F-9ACE8ABABEAC.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad