Post-Game Talk: Game 69: Slicks at Kraken (1pm)

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Agreed. You simply can’t give up a goal a minute into the first and second periods and not have it deflate the bench. I’m not absolving the forwards or the D, but neither Grubauer or Jones inspires confidence that they can do the job consistently.
“Consistently” being the key word.
McDavid’s goal was so incredibly weak. Just annoying.

Jones always looks so stiff in the net and doesn’t track very well. Grubauer can have better stretches of good play but it doesn’t last long. Have more faith in him than Jones.

The fact this team has overcome this goaltending somehow is incredible.

Reactions: Kevinsane and kihei

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
If there was a time for the vets in the team to step up, now is it. Maybe have a players only meeting.

Maybe one or two of them could also fix the defensive structure issues?
giphy.gif

Reactions: Kat Predator

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Maybe one or two of them could also fix the defensive structure issues?
giphy.gif
I just want to make the play offs. That's all, even as wc2. Just feels an important milestone for the franchise. Can worry about the rest next season or the following for the contending part. It's annoying, we are possibly ahead of schedule based on preseason expectations but I'll be pissed if we miss out on the play offs.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I just want to make the play offs. That's all, even as wc2. Just feels an important milestone for the franchise. Can worry about the rest next season or the following for the contending part. It's annoying, we are possibly ahead of schedule based on preseason expectations but I'll be pissed if we miss out on the play offs.

indeed. I think the initial expectations have evolved over the season. It's been a REAL rollercoaster. FAR exceeding expectations then regressing to a degree that it's almost offset the first half results. YUCK! It really has been since Burakovsky has been missing.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
indeed. I think the initial expectations have evolved over the season. It's been a REAL rollercoaster. FAR exceeding expectations then regressing to a degree that it's almost offset the first half results. YUCK! It really has been since Burakovsky has been missing.
I can understand the lack of scoring without Bura but the team defense as a whole? I don't know.

One of the things to look at this off-season is improving our 2C. I know Wright MAY eventually step into that role, but Wennberg is not a 2C. He is a high-end 3C. So is Gourde. Beniers has been solid this season but again, he is not quite ready for a full season as the 1C. Not that I am complaining about him, far from it, but needs more time.

Another move could be trying to see if we can get an upgrade on Oleksiak. Dunn-Larsson may not be a high-end top-pairing, but they are still good enough. Schultz-Oleksiak or Borgen-Oleksiak is not a great 2nd pairing.

And then there is coaching. The lackluster PP and the bipolar PK has been a problem from the start. The team needs to do the most to make the playoffs this season because I don't expect a start like this next season. Not trying to be pessimistic, but unless some of our ELC guys step up and make massive contributions right off the bat, I expect us to regress next season. In my mind, a coaching change may be the best way to improve the team next season.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I can understand the lack of scoring without Bura but the team defense as a whole? I don't know.

One of the things to look at this off-season is improving our 2C. I know Wright MAY eventually step into that role, but Wennberg is not a 2C. He is a high-end 3C. So is Gourde. Beniers has been solid this season but again, he is not quite ready for a full season as the 1C. Not that I am complaining about him, far from it, but needs more time.

Another move could be trying to see if we can get an upgrade on Oleksiak. Dunn-Larsson may not be a high-end top-pairing, but they are still good enough. Schultz-Oleksiak or Borgen-Oleksiak is not a great 2nd pairing.

And then there is coaching. The lackluster PP and the bipolar PK has been a problem from the start. The team needs to do the most to make the playoffs this season because I don't expect a start like this next season. Not trying to be pessimistic, but unless some of our ELC guys step up and make massive contributions right off the bat, I expect us to regress next season. In my mind, a coaching change may be the best way to improve the team next season.
The sky high sh% numbers will almost certainly come back to Earth. (They already are.) That will mean we can't be giving up 4 goals a game and win with 5 goals for, obviously. To continue to win, we'll have to improve the defense.

Hakstol does seem to like an aggressive, offense first style of play. That may not really lend itself well to improving the team defense. I don't think his stint in Philly showed much defensively either. On the other hand, if we make the playoffs, I can't see GMRF firing Hakstol.

It's going to take time to build through the draft, which is what GMRF is going to do. I'm not really expecting him to throw money at big name UFAs or blockbuster deals. :dunno:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The sky high sh% numbers will almost certainly come back to Earth. (They already are.) That will mean we can't be giving up 4 goals a game and win with 5 goals for, obviously. To continue to win, we'll have to improve the defense.
Absolutely. With the goal support having dried up we need better goaltending and defense. Jones has fallen off a cliff but Gru has been pretty good off-late. Really comes down to the skaters for this last stretch.
Hakstol does seem to like an aggressive, offense first style of play. That may not really lend itself well to improving the team defense. I don't think his stint in Philly showed much defensively either. On the other hand, if we make the playoffs, I can't see GMRF firing Hakstol.
Agreed. Hakstol is not going to get fired if we make the playoffs. But my concern goes past this season where I see us regress and be worse than we are this season. His style is fun to watch WHEN the team is scoring goals. But when that dried up, we have been on the losing end more often.
It's going to take time to build through the draft, which is what GMRF is going to do. I'm not really expecting him to throw money at big name UFAs or blockbuster deals. :dunno:
After re-signing Dunn and Borgen we will have close to 11M to play with.

McCann-Beniers-Eberle
Schwartz-Wennberg-Bura
Tolvy-Gourde-Bjorkstrand
Tanev-?-?

Dunn-Larsson
Schultz-Oleksiak
Megna-Borgen

Grubauer

Maybe upgrade one position? In my mind that 2nd D pairing or the 2C position could use an upgrade with the cap space available.

And while I understand building through the draft is what we need to do, not improving the team at all (coaching or players) next season could end up being a decent sized step backwards if the team continues to play the way they have.

Reactions: Kat Predator

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Yeah, we're not going to keep on shooting the lights out and at a percentage that's way above everyone else in this league.

Unless we're able to work on a few structural things, limit high danger chances and get better goaltending, we'll be in a bit of trouble next season.

I guess that's whay "success isn't linear" in the NHL and why it wouldn't be a surprise to make the playoffs this year and end up with a top ten pick next year.

Though, that's something we can look at/discuss next season(starting this summer) and is part of the excitement about having a team.
Also, Francis did manage to improve the offense last offseason, so let's see what he can do this summer.

And well, if we do end up drafting in the top ten next year, at least it seems to be a draft with a couple of interesting defenseman.
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad