GDT: Game #69 Sharks @ Rangers 3/16 1pm PT CSNCA

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That's more than a good game every once in a while. He's not elite at this point, but he's better than the average goalie.

He's 16th in GAA and 28th in save percentage. He's pretty much average as a starter. The rankings a previous poster put up where he's top 10 is largely team-based.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
He's 16th in GAA and 28th in save percentage. He's pretty much average as a starter. The rankings a previous poster put up where he's top 10 is largely team-based.

Actually he's 11th in GAA and tied (with Mike Smith and Cory Schnieder who most consider damn good goalies) for 19th in Sv% among qualified starters (i.e. ones that have actually played a significant enough number of games/minutes).

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

I honestly think he had some kind of nagging injury or something. He came off a vezina quality season, had a good start, then stunk consistently for months, then is back to vezina quality recently. It could be inconsistency, but he's been steadily getting better year after year since he entered the league and then all of the sudden the drop off. I hope I'm right, he keeps playing like this it will make our cup chances much better.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Actually he's 11th in GAA and tied (with Mike Smith and Cory Schnieder who most consider damn good goalies) for 19th in Sv% among qualified starters (i.e. ones that have actually played a significant enough number of games/minutes).

I assume you drew a line at 30 games?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I honestly think he had some kind of nagging injury or something. He came off a vezina quality season, had a good start, then stunk consistently for months, then is back to vezina quality recently. It could be inconsistency, but he's been steadily getting better year after year since he entered the league and then all of the sudden the drop off. I hope I'm right, he keeps playing like this it will make our cup chances much better.

He's been off his angles a lot this year so I doubt it. His game has just been off and it took him a long time to get it back together.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio

I don't even know because I didn't draw it. I'm not sure if they base it off of games played or minutes played or whatever. If you go to the NHL.com stats page and click on Save % leaders (instead of Save %) and GAA leaders (instead of just GAA) it give you the list of only qualified players. Same way I look at faceoff leaders instead of just the faceoffs page, to weed out guys who've only taken like 20 FOs

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He's been off his angles a lot this year so I doubt it. His game has just been off and it took him a long time to get it back together.

Some of it might've been the leg pad adjustment to start the season. That would mess with your angles a bit.

LocknessMonster*

Well he's getting hot coming into the end of the season so that's a great sign. I think the push from Stalock really got him back on his game.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Nemo haters crying right now. Sorry chumps.

This is extreme. Just because myself and others are critical of Niemi from time to time. Doesn't mean we don't want our team to win, I get the sarcasm i hope, but why would we cry if we win? . That is just silly. We just want to ride the hot hand and at the end of we all want nemo to succeed, it's the only way our team is going to go deep but calling some people chumps is unnecessary

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
LOL shots fired :sarcasm:
jason demers ‏@jasondemers5 4h
There's a new king of New York and he ain't swedish! #31isastud #suomi

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

I don't even know because I didn't draw it. I'm not sure if they base it off of games played or minutes played or whatever. If you go to the NHL.com stats page and click on Save % leaders (instead of Save %) and GAA leaders (instead of just GAA) it give you the list of only qualified players. Same way I look at faceoff leaders instead of just the faceoffs page, to weed out guys who've only taken like 20 FOs

i believe the cut off for nhl.com is 20 games. and it goes by games started not games played. hence why stalock is no where to be found on the list, he's played in 20 games, but only started 15.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
This is NOT good.. Once the sharks win 7 games they always go into extended slumps.... Hopefully we can get out of it before the playoffs.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Niemi played great yesterday like the one of the last several years where he was able to cover up defensive lapses all the time.

However, a season is not made with one game. He's been average throughout the season. Which Niemi we get in the playoffs will largely determine how far the Sharks go.

A lot of pressure is on this guy, and if he is a champion at heart, he will come through.

Of all the things I thought of when I started that thread before the season thinking this could be the year the Sharks make it to the finals, I did not foresee the lack-luster goalie situation.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
What makes you think Niemi is going to command a huge salary? DW let Nabakov walk due to that so I'm sure if Nemo is asking for 5+ that he will let him go. To be honest, I don't really care about this **** until the off season.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
What makes you think Niemi is going to command a huge salary? DW let Nabakov walk due to that so I'm sure if Nemo is asking for 5+ that he will let him go. To be honest, I don't really care about this **** until the off season.

yah, that would be the point, if he commands 5+ (really 6+ would be my break point) let him walk. That's exactly what I was getting at.

I didn't say trade him now, i said at some point before his contract expires, if he wants that kind of money. Obviously you care about it since you just responded unnecessarily to it.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
yah, that would be the point, if he commands 5+ (really 6+ would be my break point) let him walk. That's exactly what I was getting at.

I didn't say trade him now, i said at some point before his contract expires, if he wants that kind of money. Obviously you care about it since you just responded unnecessarily to it.

I don't even know when his contract expires. Haha.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Next year is the last year.

So if you follow DW's usual pattern of extending the UFA's the team really wants to keep the summer before they go to UFA, Niemi would be up this summer. Hence why people occasionally bring it up.

Makes sense.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Niemi played a great game. It seems like he and Stalock are pushing one another right now. That's a goid thing.

13 games left. Just please stay healthy (everyone, even the posters here :) )

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad