GDT: Game 69 (Nice): Columbus @ Boston | 7 PM EST

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Some observations of the game last night - transitioning from own zone was bad all night, and a large part of it was because of bad first passes from D. Several times there was a wide open winger ready to go and make the next play, but the pass would come behind them or way too front and instead of an easy play you got a puck battle by the boards at your hands. And they just won no battles last night.

Laine was struggling all night, just didn't look sharp and often one step behind, not much going his way. Also the current D and C mean way too often you have him doing things in the D zone you don't want him to be doing. Once you have him out of his comfort zone down low chasing pucks, you're in trouble.

Let's be realistic though, as it is, you have
Laine-Roslovic-Voracek & Gavrikov-Peeke going against
DeBrusk-Bergeron-Marchand & Lindholm-McAvoy
how do you really expect them to do? And it's not much better with the 2nd line. The top6 are hard matched during the best of times and without Werenski & Jenner it's a disaster waiting to happen unless everyone is playing their absolute best and last night that was not the case.

Perhaps somewhat oddly I miss Domi, it's hard to say with Jenner & Werenski out but it seems to me the team might miss him too, for all the crap that goes his way, he really seemed well liked and a positive influence, the vibe just hasn't been the same since. Could be just being a seller at TDL as well, I guess that really drives the point home you are not going anywhere this year and the harsh reality sits in, taking all the wind out of your sails.
Honestly I think it’s just the fact they are trying to play Roslovic at C. He’s just not cut out for it

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

This is the perfect representation of why I don’t like Portzline.

Why does the CBJ seem to be infatuated by pulling the goalie when we don’t have possession of the puck? That’s on the coach right?

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
This year was such a disaster. It really should have been a tank year. Now we’re in no man’s land with a bunch of misfits.
Should have been a tank year? Disagreed. Now if you also think Werenski and Jenner shouldn't have been re-signed and Laine isn't worth keeping then I guess that's a position that makes sense even if I disagree with it. Deliberately tanking usually doesn't work and is extremely risky.

No man's land? TBD. I guess that's where we are this year but that's more of a thing you judge over years.

A bunch of misfits? Yes. Not the entire roster but a handful.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Perhaps somewhat oddly I miss Domi, it's hard to say with Jenner & Werenski out but it seems to me the team might miss him too, for all the crap that goes his way, he really seemed well liked and a positive influence, the vibe just hasn't been the same since. Could be just being a seller at TDL as well, I guess that really drives the point home you are not going anywhere this year and the harsh reality sits in, taking all the wind out of your sails.
I think missing Jenner and Werenski hurts the team more currently. Werenski especially, the last few games have really hammered home just why he plays so many minutes. It's why I want Chychrun so badly because if we can have him or Z on the ice ~75% of the time it could seriously help this team. And in crunch time put them both on the ice for crucial shifts if we don't get a good RD for either. That's another convo for another thread though.

The bottom 6 is doing better lately after Domi was traded - not saying he held them back just saying losing him didn't really hurt them. Maybe being a seller was a reality check though, or even simpler just a quick look at the standings can be one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad