Post-Game Talk: GAME 69 - BRUINS 6 Sons of Gritty 5

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I didn't catch the game other than the Youtube highlight package.

But name a better PTO signing than Danton Heinen. Not just in Bruins history. But NHL history. Because the vast majority of PTOs never even get offered contracts, let alone make the team AND have a real positive impact. He's on almost half a PPG pace, kill penalties, plays both wings, compliments whichever line he has been on.

Just an absolute steal in a salary cap system you would have to think there is some way to bring him back at a reasonable number/term. He was in hockey purgatory 6 months ago hopefully both parties can see that this arrangement just works.

SIDENOTE: Jake Debrusk looks like a completely different player post-deadline.
Heinen and Geekie both could win 7th player of the year award.

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
I still have nightmares about taking frozen orange balls to the inside of my thigh. (Not a euphemism) stupidest thing. Road hockey goalie when it was 10-20 below on compact snow with those balls near guaranteed someone was crying and limping home under the street lamps.
Geekie's goal was a street hockey kids dream, like Ralphie and the Red Ryder BB gun. Big slapper high to the far side snapping back off the strings. Only problem was whoever got stuck in goal would yell "No Slappers" right away. But every so often the temptation was just too great. The goal would be waved off and the kid in goal would quit.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Tough year to pick a 7th Player award winner.
I guess I will go Heinen (my wife did) since he's not
only an amazing bargain, a shocker actually and that he
really REALLY wanted to be here IMHO. He probably
could have caught on with another team but wanted to be
a Bruin more than most so he stuck it out for a couple of months
and got his second chance. Good for him!

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
It’s ok.

My sense of humor hits with like 43% of people.
More than DKH’s.

Thank you for taking these. Someday I’ll make my way down from Ontario and see a game there.

Maybe when our Monopoly money is closer to par again lol.

In the meantime I live vicariously through the tv and your rink side photos.

Edit and Ladyfans. Hers too!!
Fly Porter from the Island airport. It’s effortless.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Congratulations to Andrew Peeke on scoring his first point as a Bruin! :clap:
Peake and Wotherspoon remind me just a little of Rick Smith and Gary Doak, when they returned to da Broons in the late 70s. They formed a very solid 3rd pair for 4 seasons (76-77 to 79-80); they kept their game simple and didn't try to play beyond their ability. They were plus players each of those 4 seasons.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
I want to see more of Geekie in the Bergeron Bumper position on the PP or as the Pasta one timer on PP2. His shot is a weapon.
It is when he has time to load up, but it usually takes him a week and a half to get it away!

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Iginla is pure class. I know people in Cowtown who had similar experiences and talked about how nice of a guy he is. I ran into him years ago when he was still a kid (early 20s) and even then he was just smiling and talking to whoever. Just a good person. Then would go out on the ice and dominate.
After Calgary screwing up so badly in the mid 90s, they needed him. (Woulda been an all time team if they didn’t...) and he gave them The Red Mile. Was crazy. I flew out there for that. Wow.
But wish.

Nice we have the same three. As much as I loved Leetch, the other guys from back in the day were Iafrate, Propp, and wishing they held onto Secord.
You should see his son Tij on Kelowna Rockets…already over 100 points!

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I didn't catch the game other than the Youtube highlight package.

But name a better PTO signing than Danton Heinen. Not just in Bruins history. But NHL history. Because the vast majority of PTOs never even get offered contracts, let alone make the team AND have a real positive impact. He's on almost half a PPG pace, kill penalties, plays both wings, compliments whichever line he has been on.

Just an absolute steal in a salary cap system you would have to think there is some way to bring him back at a reasonable number/term. He was in hockey purgatory 6 months ago hopefully both parties can see that this arrangement just works.

SIDENOTE: Jake Debrusk looks like a completely different player post-deadline.

I think a large part of the reason why Heinen is such a standout PTO is it was really odd he had to resort to one in the first place. Guy was a pretty well-established bottom 6 forward who'd had a perfectly respectable 33-point +6 season just 12 months ago. Then he goes and has a bit of a down year but to me it still wasn't terrible and still better than quite a few guys tootling around on 4th lines. But the Pens cut ties anyway and at the prime age of 28 suddenly no-one else wants him.

Bizarre. As a player Heinen has his flaws, but every depth guy does, and even if he was asking for too much money at first you'd think surely his price would have come down as the offers failed to materialize. So it does rather baffle me why he wasn't conventionally signed somewhere. Great for the Bruins though, we are fortunate, and astute, to have him.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
I think a large part of the reason why Heinen is such a standout PTO is it was really odd he had to resort to one in the first place. Guy was a pretty well-established bottom 6 forward who'd had a perfectly respectable 33-point +6 season just 12 months ago. Then he goes and has a bit of a down year but to me it still wasn't terrible and still better than quite a few guys tootling around on 4th lines. But the Pens cut ties anyway and at the prime age of 28 suddenly no-one else wants him.

Bizarre. As a player Heinen has his flaws, but every depth guy does, and even if he was asking for too much money at first you'd think surely his price would have come down as the offers failed to materialize. So it does rather baffle me why he wasn't conventionally signed somewhere. Great for the Bruins though, we are fortunate, and astute, to have him.
Pittsburgh also did not protect Fleury in the expansion draft and he went on to help take Vegas to a Cup. Not the wisest of moves.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Well said. Knowing what we know now, makes him being available for a PTO even more bizarre 32 GMs you'd have to think at least a couple saw value in his versatility and experience but the offers didn't seem to be there. Even Sweeney wanted to see how camp shook out.

One thing about Heinen up until this year he was never used much (if at all) to kill penalties. Which I always found strange as you look at his skill-set (positioning, anticipation, good stick) and you'd think it screams PK but until his reuniting with Monty other coaches didn't use him in that roll.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Well said. Knowing what we know now, makes him being available for a PTO even more bizarre 32 GMs you'd have to think at least a couple saw value in his versatility and experience but the offers didn't seem to be there. Even Sweeney wanted to see how camp shook out.

One thing about Heinen up until this year he was never used much (if at all) to kill penalties. Which I always found strange as you look at his skill-set (positioning, anticipation, good stick) and you'd think it screams PK but until his reuniting with Monty other coaches didn't use him in that roll.

I heard a rumor that the Wild had offered him a contract during the summer but Heinen turned it down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad