Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Lol 16M what the f***
It's another reason I have a hard time taking those charts seriously. No player would ask more than 14 right now. It'll get up to 16 one day when the cap goes up and a player wants to be paid more than McDavid, but that's not anytime soon.

The way I see it, Matthews will ask for 13+ and McDavid will demand 14+.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco

The point after this goal was just hilarious because it lasted for like 10 seconds.

He didn’t move at all, just kept the exact same expression and continued pointing. It was like his brain shut off, but his body knew that a good pass needed to be acknowledged.

Somewhere up there, Nate “The General” Guenin is smiling down on Mikko.

He’s not dead, he just has really bad seats.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

The point after this goal was just hilarious because it lasted for like 10 seconds.

He didn’t move at all, just kept the exact same expression and continued pointing. It was like his brain shut off, but his body knew that a good pass needed to be acknowledged.

I figured thats what it was. Mikko is hilarious.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It's another reason I have a hard time taking those charts seriously. No player would ask more than 14 right now. It'll get up to 16 one day when the cap goes up and a player wants to be paid more than McDavid, but that's not anytime soon.

The way I see it, Matthews will ask for 13+ and McDavid will demand 14+.

....Just because players dont ask/cant ask for it doesn't mean they aren't worth it. The best players in the league are underpaid relative to the on ice value the provide their clubs. That is just a fact.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
....Just because players dont ask/cant ask for it doesn't mean they aren't worth it. The best players in the league are underpaid relative to the on ice value the provide their clubs. That is just a fact.
If the ultimate goal is to win a Stanley Cup, I don't think any player is currently worth 16 million with the current cap ceiling. I would like to believe that general managers wouldn't pay that for them either.... But some of them are extremely stupid.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
If the ultimate goal is to win a Stanley Cup, I don't think any player is currently worth 16 million with the current cap ceiling. I would like to believe that general managers wouldn't pay that for them either.... But some of them are extremely stupid.
I agree on this. We see how much one high salary kills depth of the team(even Mack's contract is big and he is freaking good). NHL isn't NBA where few good players is enough to be competitive.

You need complete team or few elite individuals in different positions to win.

Reactions: sethro109

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Superstars in hockey are the most underpaid of the major sports; hockey, baseball, basketball, football, soccer. Without question.

Look at it like this.

Connor McDavid makes less than $2m more AAV than a TON of guys. I'd suggest he's worth double or triple what those other dudes are worth. From point totals to whatever, it's not close.

In other sports, the star QB... the 50 homerun guy... the star striker... they're making boatloads more than everybody else. Look at PSG with Ney, Messi, Mbappe making more than *every single Ligue 1 team put together*.

Like @Pierce Hawthorne said, just because they aren't asking for it doesn't mean they aren't worth it.

I believe Connor McDavid should be worth around $20m AAV.

I don’t know why we’re even debating this. The chart is saying Makar is vastly exceeding his contract value even now that he’s making bank. That’s a good thing.

What would Bobby Orr get in salary right now? That's a Makar comparable.

Forget Coffey because Makar controls the play on the defensive side more than he ever did.

Cale Makar is a PPG *defenseman* making under $10m AAV. That's insanity. He scores at a higher clip than forwards making more money than him. He's VASTLY underpaid.

All things considered(meaning there is NO comparable at his position in today's league[lol Fox/Karlsson]), I believe Cale Makar is worth around $15-$16m AAV.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Superstars in hockey are the most underpaid of the major sports; hockey, baseball, basketball, football, soccer. Without question.

Look at it like this.

Connor McDavid makes less than $2m more AAV than a TON of guys. I'd suggest he's worth double or triple what those other dudes are worth. From point totals to whatever, it's not close.

In other sports, the star QB... the 50 homerun guy... the star striker... they're making boatloads more than everybody else. Look at PSG with Ney, Messi, Mbappe making more than *every single Ligue 1 team put together*.

Like @Pierce Hawthorne said, just because they aren't asking for it doesn't mean they aren't worth it.

Forget Coffey because Makar controls the play on the defensive side more than he ever did.

Cale Makar is a PPG *defenseman* making under $10m AAV. That's insanity. He scores at a higher clip than forwards making more money than him. He's VASTLY underpaid.

All things considered(meaning there is NO comparable at his position in today's league[lol Fox/Karlsson]), I believe Cale Makar is worth around $15-$16m AAV.
Not even Patrick Mahomes makes 20% of his team's cap hit and he has the highest cap hit in the NFL. As long as the NHL salary cap is 83 million, no one is worth 16 million.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Look at it like this.

The NHL's biggest issues I think is off ice money earned imo. With the cap the way it is(at least for now) it does somewhat cap player salaries. But because of how awful the NHL is at marketing their players the endorsements they can potentially get is at a far bigger gap than salaries imo.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The NHL's biggest issues I think is off ice money earned imo. With the cap the way it is(at least for now) it does somewhat cap player salaries. But because of how awful the NHL is at marketing their players the endorsements they can potentially get is at a far bigger gap than salaries imo.
They should sell cocaine. 90% of them using anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad