Laval Rocket: Game 67 @ Belleville Senators (Laval Loses 4-1)

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Primeau had a very good development curve before this season. And he was put into really awful situations with a depleted Habs team. It probably broke his confidence this year.

I prefer to wait and see if he can rebound next year, before branding him as a bad goalie after just one bad year as such a young player.
The habs used to do well developing goalies. Lately they’ve been breaking them, Lindgren, Condon, McNiven, Primeau, they’ve all regressed once they got close to the NHL.

Reactions: Tyson

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
The habs used to do well developing goalies. Lately they’ve been breaking them, Lindgren, Condon, McNiven, Primeau, they’ve all regressed once they got close to the NHL.
You can partially thank Mr. Price and his injuries as well as the massive contract MB gave him, which makes finding a quality backup challenging. They got lucky with Allen, but everytime Price goes down, they have to call someone up whether they're ready or not.
Sure an argument can be made that they were put into action too soon, but I think it has more to do with crappy choices. Out of the goalies you mentioned, Primeau is the only one drafted and he was a 7th rounder.The rest were free agents. I think the bottom line is, none are/were nhl goalies from the start. I agree development was an issue too though.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
One other thing, is they've relied too heavily on Price and haven't focused on drafting the heir apparent. They haven't really drafted any goalies higher than the 5th round (aside from Fucale who was an over rated goalie and I feel was poorly scouted). Price may have been the last time they drafted a potential "blue chip" goalie. Of course, later round goalies do work out, but this argument has been made before, and I believe nhl starters tend to be guys drafted higher than the 3rd round.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Primeau had a very good development curve before this season. And he was put into really awful situations with a depleted Habs team. It probably broke his confidence this year.

I prefer to wait and see if he can rebound next year, before branding him as a bad goalie after just one bad year as such a young player.
Honestly, I was making the argument against him last year. His numbers looked a lot better than his on ice performance. Laval outplayed their opponents almost every night last year, but on a lot of occasions, Primeau was clearly outplayed by the opposing goalie. Most nights, he didn't face a lot of shots, but still was mediocre. Laval was not winning because of him. He's a 7th rounder for a reason.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Honestly, I was making the argument against him last year. His numbers looked a lot better than his on ice performance. Laval outplayed their opponents almost every night last year, but on a lot of occasions, Primeau was clearly outplayed by the opposing goalie. Most nights, he didn't face a lot of shots, but still was mediocre. Laval was not winning because of him. He's a 7th rounder for a reason.

Saros 4th round
Kuemper 6th round
Bobrovsky Undrafted
Shesterkin 4th round
Andersen 7th round (re-drafted 3rd round)
Talbot Undrafted
Hellebuyck 5th round
Husso 4th round
Ullmark 6th round
Swayman 4th round
Petersen 5th round
Forsberg 7th round
Reimer 4th round
Grubauer 4th round

Being a 7th rounder means nothing.

Reactions: WatchfulElm

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Last night was Laval's first regulation loss since April 2nd, when they lost to Abbotsford.

They went on a 7-game point streak, where they went 6-0-1, picking up 13 pts out of 14.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Saros 4th round
Kuemper 6th round
Bobrovsky Undrafted
Shesterkin 4th round
Andersen 7th round (re-drafted 3rd round)
Talbot Undrafted
Hellebuyck 5th round
Husso 4th round
Ullmark 6th round
Swayman 4th round
Petersen 5th round
Forsberg 7th round
Reimer 4th round
Grubauer 4th round

Being a 7th rounder means nothing.
As I said, it happens. What about the other 20 starters?

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021

None of these guys, except Primeau, had much pedigree to become more than they were. Condon especially beat the odds and played NHL for a few years afterwards. He should be happy by the opportunity he got in Montreal.

Primeau is the first one where i feel the organization really faltered in gicing him the best environment to succeed. Now, it's on him to rebuild his confidence.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
As I said, it happens. What about the other 20 starters?
Wether Primeau was a 1st rounder or a 7th rounder makes no difference, he simply is not the goalie of the future for this team.
This game should have gone into OT tied at 1, instead he gives up two soft goals and that was the difference. Laval doubled up the shots but Sogaard stood on his head like good goalies should.

Reactions: schwang26

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
None of these guys, except Primeau, had much pedigree to become more than they were. Condon especially beat the odds and played NHL for a few years afterwards. He should be happy by the opportunity he got in Montreal.

Primeau is the first one where i feel the organization really faltered in gicing him the best environment to succeed. Now, it's on him to rebuild his confidence.
How did the organization falter? By giving him some NHL games?

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
One other thing, is they've relied too heavily on Price and haven't focused on drafting the heir apparent. They haven't really drafted any goalies higher than the 5th round (aside from Fucale who was an over rated goalie and I feel was poorly scouted). Price may have been the last time they drafted a potential "blue chip" goalie. Of course, later round goalies do work out, but this argument has been made before, and I believe nhl starters tend to be guys drafted higher than the 3rd round.
That's not necessarily bad. It would be better if they hadn't missed on so many non-goalie picks, but there is only so much space for a goalie if you have someone signed for years at 10.5 million. They've needed a good backup for years, but you don't need to draft a backup.

They have had a bunch of interesting guys in the pipeline. Even now Dichow and Dobes look good, they just haven't succeeded in getting any of them to the NHL, a bit like most of their non-goalie picks the last while.

I think Fucale was one of Bergevin's TSN choices.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
How did the organization falter? By giving him some NHL games?

Confidence is an overwhelmingly big part of goaltending. The moment you start second guessing yourself is the moment where you lose that millisecond required to make the save.

Throwing him in an terrible situation shattered his confidence.

Hughes/Gorton saw that and traded for Hammond.

Reactions: montreal

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Confidence is an overwhelmingly big part of goaltending. The moment you start second guessing yourself is the moment where you lose that millisecond required to make the save.

Throwing him in an terrible situation shattered his confidence.

Hughes/Gorton saw that and traded for Hammond.
Fair point but it may appear that he is to fragile mentally to ever play in this market.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Wether Primeau was a 1st rounder or a 7th rounder makes no difference, he simply is not the goalie of the future for this team.
This game should have gone into OT tied at 1, instead he gives up two soft goals and that was the difference. Laval doubled up the shots but Sogaard stood on his head like good goalies should.
Honestly, I thought all 3 goals were stoppable. The first one was stick side, AGAIN! He let's in a lot from the side.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Primeau and Norlinder have quickly become underrated around here. Both are very young, this year has been a write-off for both of them and they will have chances to turn their careers around next year.

A full year in the AHL for Primeau, and a full year in the AHL or Sweden next year for Norlinder will both help them significantly.

Reactions: montreal

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
That's not necessarily bad. It would be better if they hadn't missed on so many non-goalie picks, but there is only so much space for a goalie if you have someone signed for years at 10.5 million. They've needed a good backup for years, but you don't need to draft a backup.

They have had a bunch of interesting guys in the pipeline. Even now Dichow and Dobes look good, they just haven't succeeded in getting any of them to the NHL, a bit like most of their non-goalie picks the last while.

I think Fucale was one of Bergevin's TSN choices.
That's like I said though. You tie up 10.5 in one goalie. Makes it hard to sign a quality backup. Then, when that goalie goes down, you're scrambling for a replacement. Aside from the playoffs last year, Price has been inconsistent and has had one issue or another. If they have to keep him for whatever reason, that severely restricts their freedom when he inevitably goes down again. I'm in the minority maybe but I think they need to resign Monty because they have no other goalies coming in the near future probably for years. And Primeau ain't one of them imo.

Reactions: dcyhabs

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Primeau and Norlinder have quickly become underrated around here. Both are very young, this year has been a write-off for both of them and they will have chances to turn their careers around next year.

A full year in the AHL for Primeau, and a full year in the AHL or Sweden next year for Norlinder will both help them significantly.
They're still young, but I have to disagree. I don't see either cracking the NHL. I hope I'm wrong.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
So I looked at the roster and have to wonder what was the purpose/intent of signing Condotta as it appears he has been a healthy scratch,a lark? Don't understand the wisdom of the signing if he can't cut it in the AHL,cause for concern going forward?:dunno:

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Had Norlinder stayed in Laval he would probably be a regular in Montreal right now. Bad decision on his part.
Maybe, but is it because he'd be good enough, or because the Habs have so many holes?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Maybe, but is it because he'd be good enough, or because the Habs have so many holes?
I think playing 40 games in Laval would have at least help acclimate him to North America style hockey. Would he have been good enough? Great question.
Alot of people don't know that he was passed over by every team through 7 rounds in his draft year.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
So I looked at the roster and have to wonder what was the purpose/intent of signing Condotta as it appears he has been a healthy scratch,a lark? Don't understand the wisdom of the signing if he can't cut it in the AHL,cause for concern going forward?:dunno:
I think Houle needs to clinch a playoff spot first and foremost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad