Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2020-3-3_1-53-12.png

upload_2020-3-3_1-54-11.png

The Boston Bruins are sitting atop the NHL standings as the league's best team with 16 games remaining in their regular season, and they have a big test in the Sunshine State on Tuesday.

Boston (41-13-12, 94 points) will need high-scoring right wing David Pastrnak to be on top of his game it travels to face the Tampa Bay Lightning, who own the Eastern Conference's second-best record (41-19-5, 87 points) and have had their share of highs and lows over the last few weeks.

The 23-year-old Pastrnak was named the league's Third Star of the Month for February on Sunday. He led the Bruins and was tied for fourth in the NHL in scoring -- totaling 19 points (10 goals, nine assists) -- as his club posted an 11-3-0 mark.

It is the third meeting this season between the Atlantic Division leaders, the second in downtown Tampa at Amalie Arena.

Boston has been perched at the top of the division since the outset, riding a 20-3-5 start to the season that carried the Bruins into early December.

Boston's defensive play led to offensive output in Saturday's 4-0 road win over the New York Islanders.

"When you play solid defensively, you get more chances offensively not only for us, but for the forwards," said Bruins defenseman Torey Krug. "You get the puck in the right spot and you push it up to the forwards, and then you're able to be the second wave of attack."

Meanwhile, the Lightning -- last season's Presidents' Trophy winners -- left the gate slowly and slipped to a 14-11-3 mark after a 5-1 home loss against the New York Islanders on Dec. 9. Tampa Bay regained last year's form by using lengthy winning and point streaks, mainly on home ice.

Tampa Bay's Saturday opened with bad news but closed with a 4-3 matinee win over the visiting Calgary Flames.

The organization announced before the contest that Steven Stamkos, the club's captain and top center, would have surgery Monday on a core muscle and will be sidelined for six to eight weeks.

The timeline has Stamkos, 30, rehabbing into the beginning of April and possibly returning during the opening round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

"You are not going to replace him, he's one of the best in the world at what he does, so we're taking some goals out of the lineup for us, and it's up to us as coaches to put guys in positions where they could succeed," Lightning coach Jon Cooper said after beating Calgary. "Tonight was a good step in that regard, but we just have to keep plugging away here until he gets back."

The second-place Lightning are 2-0-0 against the Bruins, and Stamkos decided the outcome in both matches.

They won Oct. 17 in Boston behind goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy's four shootout saves and Stamkos' game-winner -- the only goal in the extra session -- in a 4-3 win. Tampa Bay notched the other victory at home on Dec. 12 when the Markham, Ontario, native tallied twice, including another winning goal, in a 3-2 win.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Thanks Fenway!

Ah the big one. Two of the top five teams in the league, the heavyweights of their Division, going head to head at the business end of the season, twice. Pasta vs Kucherov, Hedman vs McAvoy, and arguably two of the top three or four Vezina candidates Rask and Vasilevskiy. Doesn't get much better than this before April.

Stamkos is a big out for Tampa but not insurmountable, and he hasn't been having quite as dominant a season as his last couple. In a way the timing of the injury, while not ideal, at least is useful in giving them time to get used to playing without him before first round of the playoffs begin.

Great measuring stick opportunity for the Bruins at a good time. If they can split the points with the Bolts over the two games I'd be content with that, and I think they would be too. Doesn't hurt to aim for a win in enemy territory first up though. It's a good chance too for Kase and Ritchie to see more of the kind of thing they'll be up against in the postseason in the East.

I think both teams will be seeking a little bit of a psychological advantage ahead of what's possibly to come, so looking forward to a good hard game. Expect to see Boston introduce Tampa to the harder edge they've been developing since they last met, playing a fast, physical game and looking to take the initiative and space away from their opponent. Go get 'em Bruins!

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Looking forward to this game. Travelling down to Boston for the return match on Saturday.
1st one in on the thread... let's go Bruins!
Watch the weather they threatening some type of storm Saturday
Not sure when you planning to drive down

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
I'll be going to the game Saturday, which means with my luck they'll blow out Tampa tonight and then shit the bed this weekend.

Except now that you posted this, the opposite will happen.
But, not that I posted that, it will reverse to what you predicted
Unless..

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Thanks Fenway!

Ah the big one. Two of the top five teams in the league, the heavyweights of their Division, going head to head at the business end of the season, twice. Pasta vs Kucherov, Hedman vs McAvoy, and arguably two of the top three or four Vezina candidates Rask and Vasilevskiy. Doesn't get much better than this before April.

Stamkos is a big out for Tampa but not insurmountable, and he hasn't been having quite as dominant a season as his last couple. In a way the timing of the injury, while not ideal, at least is useful in giving them time to get used to playing without him before first round of the playoffs begin.

Great measuring stick opportunity for the Bruins at a good time. If they can split the points with the Bolts over the two games I'd be content with that, and I think they would be too. Doesn't hurt to aim for a win in enemy territory first up though. It's a good chance too for Kase and Ritchie to see more of the kind of thing they'll be up against in the postseason in the East.

I think both teams will be seeking a little bit of a psychological advantage ahead of what's possibly to come, so looking forward to a good hard game. Expect to see Boston introduce Tampa to the harder edge they've been developing since they last met, playing a fast, physical game and looking to take the initiative and space away from their opponent. Go get 'em Bruins!
I agree with Stamkos being out might not be that big of deal because Tampa got so much talent however in these regular season games he’s always scoring on us against that side wall with his one timer or being in the middle. It might factor into the division and seeding wise. But some people say it’s all meaningless its only matters what you do starting next month. I understand it some. But some of it I don’t agree on but that my opinion.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Looking forward to this one.

Been a long week already and yet its only Tuesday!

Go Bs!

Reactions: Ladyfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad