GDT: Game 66: Pittsburgh Penguins vs Montreal Canadiens 3/2/19 7:00pm EST SN, TVA (HD), TSN 690

Status
Not open for further replies.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
WS1hlhT.jpg

mvRkGPn.jpg

XpqfnKE.jpg

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So is reilly simply a healthy scratch these days?
yeah. I haven't been watching, but I'd like to see if that second pair of Benn-Petry is better than Rielly-Petry. I liked Reilly's speed.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I don't like Benn anywhere but on the third pair. He can be very solid, but he's overexposed with Petry. The D should be:

Mete-Weber
Reilly-Petry
Kulak-Folin

With the potential of Kulak challenging Reilly. I think Kulak has been incredibly solid and I love his mix grit, mobility, and IQ.

Folin has a good tool set, and he takes pressure off of Weber with the physical element. He did a good job of clearing the crease against the rangers. If Folin can't hack it I would play Benn over him as the #6

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
This will be a tough test. The Penguins are desperate as well and have the experience of being in this type of pressure situation many times in the past. Crosby and Malkin scare me.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This one is complicated. Lots of dynamics at play. In order of importance for me, let's see....

1A. Carey Price stats. I want him to win the Vezina, so he can't let in a lot of goals
1B. Sidney Crosby stats. I want him to get as close to the Ross as possible - so he needs to score a lot of points
2A. I want Habs to make the playoffs. Can't really afford to lose 2 points
2B. I want Pens to also make the playoffs. Can't really afford to lose 2 points.

Here's my compromise.

1. Don't play Price
2. Have it go to OT
3. Have Crosby score 6 points in a 7-6 OT loss

Glass half full. I'm an optimist. In addition to being a compromise - i'll call this my prediction.

Habs win 7-6 in OT. Crosby scores 6 points. Book it?

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Price playing back 2 backs means Julien and the staff lost confidence in Niemi. That's where i think Bergevin missed out at the deadline. Kinkaid would have been a great acquisition imo. We could have also taken on Talbot's contract and get a pick since Edm needed to shred some sallary. I guess the price on Howard was to high. All the pts will be important and Niemi is always a big question mark.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
Price playing back 2 backs means Julien and the staff lost confidence in Niemi. That's where i think Bergevin missed out at the deadline. Kinkaid would have been a great acquisition imo. We could have also taken on Talbot's contract and get a pick since Edm needed to shred some sallary. I guess the price on Howard was to high. All the pts will be important and Niemi is always a big question mark.
I don’t agree - I think their confidence in Niemi is likely the same as it has been all year. The fact is this is a Saturday night game in Montreal against Crosby and co., a team challenging you for one of the wild card spots. Why the hell would you play your backup? Is Carey Price that much of a pansy that he needs the night off?

Definitely not. Got less to do with Niemi and more to do with Price.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
This one is complicated. Lots of dynamics at play. In order of importance for me, let's see....

1A. Carey Price stats. I want him to win the Vezina, so he can't let in a lot of goals
1B. Sidney Crosby stats. I want him to get as close to the Ross as possible - so he needs to score a lot of points
2A. I want Habs to make the playoffs. Can't really afford to lose 2 points
2B. I want Pens to also make the playoffs. Can't really afford to lose 2 points.

Here's my compromise.

1. Don't play Price
2. Have it go to OT
3. Have Crosby score 6 points in a 7-6 OT loss

Glass half full. I'm an optimist. In addition to being a compromise - i'll call this my prediction.

Habs win 7-6 in OT. Crosby scores 6 points. Book it?
If you can pull all that off, I'll wish you good luck with world domination, Lex Luthor.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
FYI. Price is playing tonight. Is what i was told.

Damn.

Now I gotta decide between rooting for Price having a shutout and Crosby scoring a ton of points.

Maybe if Pittsburgh does something insane like shoot 78 times on Price and he lets in 4 goals (4 Crosby Points) - it's the best of both worlds. his sv% goes up, and Crosby gets lots of points. Win-win?

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
I don’t agree - I think their confidence in Niemi is likely the same as it has been all year. The fact is this is a Saturday night game in Montreal against Crosby and co., a team challenging you for one of the wild card spots. Why the hell would you play your backup? Is Carey Price that much of a pansy that he needs the night off?

Thats what i think also, Price give them a way better chance to win the game, no matter if its Niemi/Kinkaid or Kudhobin your Backup and every game is pretty much a must win at this point of the season so give your team the best chance to win even if it means overplaying the top players.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010

Well i'll disagree with you with the fact that Niemi didnt get the start vs the mighty Red Wings on Tuesday. I'm not only talking about this weekend back to back. Niemi always got the starts on back to back and if the management would have faith in him he would have probably started last night.

I personally have 0 faith in Niemi so I dont blame them. I'm just surprise they didnt improve the backup position if indeed they have no faith in Niemi.

Reactions: Be a Hab and Tyson

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
If anyone thinks for one second that Neimi starts in the most important game of the year need to give their heads a shake.

Im not suggesting to put Niemi tonight. That would be so dumb. Im just stating the fact that if Niemi doesnt get the start in Det then where do you play him?
Habs have like 4 more b2b games. A better backup would give them a better chance of getting in the playoffs.

Reactions: zx81

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Another big one tonight. Looks like we might be getting DeSmith tonight, which could be nice.

And I'd also play Reilly over Kulak.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Im not suggesting to put Niemi tonight. That would be so dumb. Im just stating the fact that if Niemi doesnt get the start in Det then where do you play him?
Habs have like 4 more b2b games. A better backup would give them a better chance of getting in the playoffs.
Julien has pretty shown us that he no longer trusts Niemi. What surprises me is that Bergevin didn’t address it at the TDL. Lindgren has been pretty bad this year and McNiven has zero experience. Does not bode well.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Another big one tonight. Looks like we might be getting DeSmith tonight, which could be nice.

And I'd also play Reilly over Kulak.
Kulak is way better than Reilly from what I have seen, of course opinions are subjective. Reilly is simply not very good.
Kulak is +11 in 41 games which is impressive for a bottom pairing D. He also assisted on the GWG last night.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad