GDT: Game 65: Sharks @ Penguins 4:00pm NBCSCA

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I still don't understand the Pittsburgh conditional draft pick part of this trade. If they are 11 and worse, the pick is this year and if they are 10 and better, it can be waived to next year? I think the important thing is to keep the pace to get last, especially since Chicago finally won a game the other night. Sunday's game is going to be something else.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I still don't understand the Pittsburgh conditional draft pick part of this trade. If they are 11 and worse, the pick is this year and if they are 10 and better, it can be waived to next year? I think the important thing is to keep the pace to get last, especially since Chicago finally won a game the other night. Sunday's game is going to be something else.
I'm not sure what's not to understand?

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Did I have it right? It's top 10 protected? So we're rooting for Pittsburgh to lose out right and then get the pick next year?
It's top 10 protected. They get to decide AFTER the lottery.

If PIT finishes 11 or 12 and wins the lottery and gets pick 1 or 2, they can choose to keep it, or choose to give it to us and we get their 2025 unprotected.

If they finish bottom 10, same deal except they get to choose no matter what, after the lottery.

In the scenario where they win 1 or 2OA, they almost certainly keep the pick, "retool" in the offseason, maybe even resign Guentzel, and likely do not finish quite so badly next year. Maybe it'll be a 10-20 pick.

If they finish 9 or 10, I guess it depends on whether they think they can flip the player for a "win now" asset, because they can't trade the pick if they keep it.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad