GDT: Game #65 Montreal Canadiens @ San Jose SHARKS 7:00pm PST March 8, 2014 CSNCa KFox

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Two great things about this game:

1- Niemi was rock solid, nice to see the guy back in form and hopefully this is the start of his streak.

2- Nice to see Sharks pick the pockets of a backup goalie rather than the other way around.

3- PK was solid.

Not so great things:

1- PP was ugly and I thought not just the 1st period like TMac mentioned. It does not look like a PP I'd expect from a top team in the league.

2- Defense was better, but still had a few breakdowns. But if Niemi gets going, it is good enough to go deeper in the playoffs.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
On the PP, I'd like to see Demers and Burns swapped for Boyle and either Couture or Marleau. Can't get any worse and I agree other teams have figured out how to stop it and the Sharks haven't adjusted.

The PP zone entries still look horrific. Boyle made a couple pics poor decisions on it.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
On the PP, I'd like to see Demers and Burns swapped for Boyle and either Couture or Marleau. Can't get any worse and I agree other teams have figured out how to stop it and the Sharks haven't adjusted.

The PP zone entries still look horrific. Boyle made a couple pics poor decisions on it.

Not a bad idea, plus freeing up Couture or Marleau would give them a real center for the 2nd unit.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
In the third, sharks were 19-5 on faceoffs. Ended up 34-29 in their favor. Definitely kicked it up a notch or five in that third period

Admittedly, I stopped paying attention to the full faceoff stats in the third once the game was decided. I just remembered faceoffs being highlighted throughout the game and at one point the Sharks were like 40%

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I had a dream last night that there were American football Olympics and Wingels was the starting QB in the gold medal game against some other Olympic team, and he won. Strong WTF.

I'm impressed with his play so far. I remember the org saying he may need to step up and deliver a 20 goal season. While he hasn't quite done that, he still has time (theoretically) and a 40 point season for him is also very good.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not a bad idea, plus freeing up Couture or Marleau would give them a real center for the 2nd unit.

Marleau's the only guy that consistently does well on zone entries. I think you'd have to move off Couture if you really felt the need to move a second guy off. Certainly agree with Boyle getting off that unit. His decision making is just flat out horrible. He hesitates way too much and then flubs it anyway.

Marleau-Thornton-Burns
Pavelski-Demers

Torres-Couture-Wingels
Irwin-Braun

In actuality, that second unit is why I want Havlat in the lineup. He's the only guy that has made that unit look respectable.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Marleau-Thornton-Burns
Pavelski-Demers

Nieto-Couture-Havlat
Irwin-Boyle

Would actually do much better than the current units IMO

But they won't move Boyle off the first for obvious reasons

AstroDan

Stars, cars, guitars
Jan 29, 2009
NorCal
I would run the top two lines, as they are

Pav$-Jumbo-Burns

Boyle-Braun

Patty-Cootch-Neato

Demers-Irwin(?)

3rd (if needed)

Wingo-Shep/Desi-Torres
Back to boyle...

Can't be worse and after PP fails, the lines are still intact

If the 3rd or 4th line is beasting, let them start the PP as reward.
SJ has really good depth right now and I think the competition for PP time could help

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Had a great time at the game, thought I'd share a fun picture:

Sharkie came to visit my kid (the box owner paid for it as a surprise because he heard we were coming tonight):

Attachments

• sharkie.jpg
    sharkie.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 42

FSS

Aug 2, 2012
The PP kills me right now. There are times where they are cycling, passing, and moving beautifully...and we just have bad puck luck and don't score. Then there are times when it looks like the Keystone Cops are trying to gain the zone, and we end up dumping & chasing more than the '92 Sharks.

It's an absolutely bipolar PP, but with one thing in common...barely any goals to speak of lately.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
The PP kills me right now. There are times where they are cycling, passing, and moving beautifully...and we just have bad puck luck and don't score. Then there are times when it looks like the Keystone Cops are trying to gain the zone, and we end up dumping & chasing more than the '92 Sharks.

It's an absolutely bipolar PP, but with one thing in common...barely any goals to speak of lately.

I don't think their issues are when they're already set up in the offensive zone. Occasionally I see Pavs & Boyle make some bad passes or bad decisions in passing. Marleau will occasionally make the brainfart pass in the zone that gets intercepted for a clear but he's always been susceptible to that. I am glad that they aren't relying on Jumbo to hold the puck along the right half wall. They are moving their feet and position a lot more this season but ala, same results.

They do seem to have more issues coming through the neutral zone and zone entry and for that, I think Boyle is more to blame as the QB.

He's just been off all year - perhaps it is age that's affecting his decision making. He has just not been crisp in that area all season.

FSS

Aug 2, 2012
Absolutely agree, the main issue is gaining the zone, and how we're coming out of our own end & through the neutral zone...not once we've set up shop in the zone (we look damn good there).

Would love to see them at least experiment with a new Dman QB on the PP, at the very least it will send a wake up call to Boyle.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Absolutely agree, the main issue is gaining the zone, and how we're coming out of our own end & through the neutral zone...not once we've set up shop in the zone (we look damn good there).

Would love to see them at least experiment with a new Dman QB on the PP, at the very least it will send a wake up call to Boyle.

Yep, Demers & Pavs on 1st pair and Braun Boyle on 2nd pair should be given a shot. Can't be any worse.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
The problem with the powerplay is Dan Boyle.

Now I know what your going to say "It can't ALL be Boyle!" and that's true, but he is the primary issue. Here is why.

The 1st powerplay unit is almost totally designed around Boyle. He's the QB and the play goes through him and he's simply not all there still. Even as he's seemingly improving, there is going to be substantial lag before the rest of the group gains their confidence in him back and things start clicking. Hopefully that starts happening soon. Either the PP needs to be re-designed without Boyle being the key cog (which would take time and practice, which they really don't have at this point) or Boyle needs to start playing up to the level we are used to.

The 2nd unit is a problem simply because they have no chemistry yet and have not played together for a substantial period of time. This isn't Boyle's fault of course, but the primary unit is the one expected to score the most so it's tough to blame the 2nd units growing pains on the overall scoring woe's.

That said, if they were to re-design the PP units to solve this issue I would do this:

Marleau - Thornton - Burns
Pavelski - Demers

Sheppard - Couture - Wingels/Kennedy
Irwin - Boyle

Basically put strong possession players on the 1st pp unit and Demers as the QB and Pavelski as the trigger. Put Sheppard on the 2nd unit because of his strong board work and possession ability. He's going to get the puck for you and keep it. Irwin is your trigger, Boyle the QB, Wingels/Kennedy are there to shoot the puck whenever they touch it.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Pavs had a couple of questionable pass attempts in the last game which led to defensive zone clears. Those high to mid-zone turnovers up the middle can spell disaster with fast PKers. IMO he and Boyle need to simplify things a bit.

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
I remember seeing the board and it said like 72% faceoffs for MTL and couldnt believe it. The zone entry is just horrible with Boyle QB'ing. Boyle wont be taken off not until next year if he is still on the team since there is no time to practice (except the week before the playoffs start). But as many have said, it could be tweaked a bit with the others moving around.

Can you imagine how far ahead in the standings the Sharks would be if their PP was Top 5???

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Once it was 3-0 the Habs fan in front of me started cheering for Subban and thanking him for the Gold Medal whenever the faceoff was in front of us and PK was on the ice. I responded with a snarky comment about winning a gold medal from the press box. He turned around, smiled, and then started cheering for Marleau and Vlassic.

I love Habs fans.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Once it was 3-0 the Habs fan in front of me started cheering for Subban and thanking him for the Gold Medal whenever the faceoff was in front of us and PK was on the ice. I responded with a snarky comment about winning a gold medal from the press box. He turned around, smiled, and then started cheering for Marleau and Vlassic.

I love Habs fans.

So, some credit should be given to Subban for having no issue sitting in the pressbox. By all accounts he took it really. I understand that he is young, and that is expected of him...but he is the reigning Norris trophy winner. Frankly, players like Vlasic and Bouwmeester should have sat over Subban.

FSS

Aug 2, 2012
"Frankly, players like Vlasic and Bouwmeester should have sat over Subban."

Absolutely not. Defense (true defense) was way more important to Canada than an offensive defenseman like Subban...and don't think anyone should be Monday morning QB'ing a team that posted shutouts in the semis & finals.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Frankly, players like Vlasic and Bouwmeester should have sat over Subban.

I would love to hear your argument for this. Canada was a defensive force in the tournament and Vlasic was arguably their best Defensive D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad