Pre-Game Talk: GAME 62 - 8:08 PM - THE BEAR returns to Portage and Main - NESN, ESPN+, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1647577665426.png

1647577805886.png

1647577864066.png

1647577927222.png

The Boston Bruins struggled to hold the fort in their last game without injured captain Patrice Bergeron.

The Bruins will be without the four-time Selke Trophy recipient for at least another contest on Friday when they continue their four-game road trip against the Winnipeg Jets.

Bergeron returned to Boston prior to the team's 4-2 setback to the Minnesota Wild on Wednesday. The 36-year-old is dealing with the re-emergence of a previous arm injury that is at risk of infection, Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said.

In Bergeron's absence, Tomas Nosek was promoted to the top line with Brad Marchand and Jake DeBrusk and won 12 of 16 faceoffs versus the Wild. Jack Studnicka could assume Nosek's spot after being unable to play Wednesday following a late recall from Providence of the American Hockey League.

"You can't replace him, but I thought Nosek did a good job in the faceoff circle for sure," Cassidy said after the team saw its three-game winning streak come to a halt. "We won some draws, won one with the goalie out 6-on-5, that's one we rely on 'Bergy' for."

David Pastrnak was held off the scoresheet for the fourth time in six games on Wednesday. Pastrnak, who leads the team in goals (33) and points (61), scored the go-ahead goal early in the third period of a 3-2 win vs. Winnipeg on Jan. 22.

Marchand set up that power-play goal for Pastrnak against the Jets. The pesky Marchand moved within two points of his teammate for the club lead after scoring with the man advantage early in the second period on Wednesday.

"It's nice to get one, especially with 'Bergy' being out," Marchand said after scoring his first goal since tallying twice on Feb. 26. "That point of the game, it was nice, but unfortunately we didn't close it out and that's all that matters at the end of the day is if you get the points."

The Jets have been earning points of late. Winnipeg improved to 6-2-1 in its past nine games following a 7-3 victory over Vegas on Tuesday.

Kyle Connor extended his goal-scoring streak to five games and added a pair of assists against the Golden Knights. His team-leading 38 goals are tied for his career high set in 2019-20, while his 72 points are one shy of his career best.

"Unbelievable. He's one of the premier goal scorers in the league," Jets center Adam Lowry said. "... He's a guy that can score in a variety of ways. He's so quick, his release is so deceptive, and he just finds the areas and the puck just seems to find him. He can beat you. He doesn't need a lot of time, he doesn't need a lot of space. He's hot right now and hopefully that continues."

Captain Blake Wheeler, who leads the team in assists (36), carries a five-game point streak (two goals, five assists) into a tilt versus his former team. He played parts of his first three NHL seasons in Boston.

"We just gotta keep winning, just keep playing," Wheeler said. "There's so much hockey left to play, it doesn't matter. It's good to be playing meaningful games, meaningful hockey. We just gotta try to keep winning games."

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I don't follow the West standings much, and when I checked a few weeks back, Winnipeg looked to be headed for a DNQ.

That may still come to pass, but they are now 4 points behind Vegas for the second wildcard, with 2 games in hand (3 teams to jump, though).

Bruins need to be better on face-offs and clearing the zone. I know players today are coached to never willfully give up possession, but so many of the back-breaking goals they surrender could have been prevented by simply chipping the puck out and forcing their opponent to regain entry.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Jesus. Hellebuyck looks terrible this year basing it off the numbers. What the hell went wrong with Winnipeg?

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Jesus. Hellebuyck looks terrible this year basing it off the numbers. What the hell went wrong with Winnipeg?

Hellebuyck must love playing a ton of games because he does it year after year. But I wonder if it's starting to catch up with him. The Jets' backup in Comrie is inexperienced but he's actually playing pretty well this year - 10 starts, .920 SV%, 2.34 GAA, 7-2-1 record. But they still refuse to give him more games despite the clear signs that Hellebuyck is struggling a bit. Couple the issues in net with a defense that's just average and a forward group that's not scoring as much as it should, and they're a team that's not quite where they should be.

Key to beating them for the Bs is to keep things tight on D, and try and build enough offensive pressure to pot at least a couple of goals despite Bergy's absence. I hope we see Studnicka center Marchy and Jake. Give him the opportunity and see what happens. The Hall-Haula-Pasta line has to bring it here and probably has to score at least 1 if the Bruins want the 2 points.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I'm glad this is the last late game on the schedule. I definitely don't miss the NBC late starts but TNT is the worst commentary I have ever had to listen to. They were brutal during the last game, I mean 5-10 minutes on suit talk alone while the play is going on. WHO CARES????

Anyway, let's start a new winning streak and then hopefully Bergy will be back for the next game.

GO BRUINS!!!!!!

Reactions: BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

That's what I'd like to know. The past few years they've been quite successful but this year is a dumpster fire for them.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I'm glad this is the last late game on the schedule. I definitely don't miss the NBC late starts but TNT is the worst commentary I have ever had to listen to. They were brutal during the last game, I mean 5-10 minutes on suit talk alone while the play is going on. WHO CARES????

Anyway, let's start a new winning streak and then hopefully Bergy will be back for the next game.

GO BRUINS!!!!!!

It's the Eddie Olczyk effect. The guy is dreadful. Otherwise I've genuinely liked the TNT product thus far

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
It's the Eddie Olczyk effect. The guy is dreadful. Otherwise I've genuinely liked the TNT product thus far
Video and sound wise is good on TNT, but the announcers and the in between period segments are cringe worthy at best. Too many cooks in the kitchen, and they all want to be head chef, so they speak over each other on constant.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Video and sound wise is good on TNT, but the announcers and the in between period segments are cringe worthy at best. Too many cooks in the kitchen, and they all want to be head chef, so they speak over each other on constant.
I don’t disagree entirely. But they’re having fun in studio. I don’t watch intermission reports for 18 minutes of numbers. I like that they do gag segments and rag on each other. TNT has been very successful with their nba halftime/pre/post because the guys have huge personalities, and they’re allowed to show it

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Unless DeBrusk has been explicitly told that he won't be getting moved before the deadline, I wonder what his effort level will be like tonight. I doubt he risks getting injured. Could it be another no-show from Jake tonight?

Reactions: lopey and BMC

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
"Kyle Connor extended his goal-scoring streak to five games and added a pair of assists against the Golden Knights. His team-leading 38 goals are tied for his career high set in 2019-20, while his 72 points are one shy of his career best."

Reactions: lopey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad