GDT: Game 61: Seattle (33-21-6) @ Detroit (28-24-8); 4:00PM PST

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Needed win! But not looking good right now on the D and Goaltending. Making playoffs would be nice for the city but would almost prefer not if playing like this. Put some pressure on making needed changes going forward.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Needed win! But not looking good right now on the D and Goaltending. Making playoffs would be nice for the city but would almost prefer not if playing like this. Put some pressure on making needed changes going forward.
If this was NOT a new franchise I would absolutely be all about us missing the playoffs and getting higher picks. But it is a rare opportunity to make the playoffs in just a second season even though I am fairly certain its a 1st round exit.

However, I just don't know what needs to be done here. This team plays bipolar and their PP is atrocious. Things that have remain unchanged from last season. We are trying to outscore teams to win games when other teams start scoring and completely lose all defensive discipline.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
If this was NOT a new franchise I would absolutely be all about us missing the playoffs and getting higher picks. But it is a rare opportunity to make the playoffs in just a second season even though I am fairly certain its a 1st round exit.

However, I just don't know what needs to be done here. This team plays bipolar and their PP is atrocious. Things that have remain unchanged from last season. We are trying to outscore teams to win games when other teams start scoring and completely lose all defensive discipline.
Agree 100% that making the playoffs is important for the franchise. Maybe some jitters about trade deadline. Running around too much in the D zone. Amazingly the total opposite in the offensive zone totally on the attack.

Reactions: The Marquis

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Agree 100% that making the playoffs is important for the franchise. Maybe some jitters about trade deadline. Running around too much in the D zone. Amazingly the total opposite in the offensive zone totally on the attack.
Funnily the team was playing like crap around last TDL too. Understandable for players like Donato, Sprong, Geekie, Soucy, etc. but no excuse for the vets to be playing like crap.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Made hard work of that.what the hell happened to Jones form. Terrible right now.

If Dreidger is ready maybe you bring him up if Jones keeps this up
It’s not popular to say, but this is who Martin Jones has been since 2018. Like any NHL goalie, he can get hot, but his numbers haven’t been great the last four years. He’s been sub .900 during that span, putting him near the bottom of the league.
Driedger, if healthy, has a far better history.

Reactions: hn777

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Funnily the team was playing like crap around last TDL too. Understandable for players like Donato, Sprong, Geekie, Soucy, etc. but no excuse for the vets to be playing like crap.

There's something about the way NHL hockey has evolved in the last few years that 20+ teams are convinced that their team is bad. They can't defend, the goalies stink, etc...

This is what the game looks like now. You just want to be better at playing messy than the other team. Embrace it.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa

Yeah I think it's important to set a marker down by making the play offs and not letting it become a thing. Especially in a city where we had the Mariners go on such a long play off drought.

Reactions: Toomany7pins

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Squeaked that one out. Valuable 2 points though. Columbus not to be taken lightly. They are bad, but they are playing loose and with some effort. Saw them beat Buffalo the other night. Have to play a solid game still to beat them.

Reactions: The Marquis

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
It’s not popular to say, but this is who Martin Jones has been since 2018. Like any NHL goalie, he can get hot, but his numbers haven’t been great the last four years. He’s been sub .900 during that span, putting him near the bottom of the league.
Driedger, if healthy, has a far better history.
I'm just glad he had a decent first half of the year, especially when Grubauer was struggling. Right now it makes any off season decision about goaltending a lot easier if he continues to stink.

Reactions: Kevinsane

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Yeah I think it's important to set a marker down by making the play offs and not letting it become a thing. Especially in a city where we had the Mariners go on such a long play off drought.

You’re not wrong. We Seattle sports fans (don’t count me among Sounders fans though… go Timbers!) have a serious complex built up because of the M’s. I love the M’s, but I know their being shit for a generation (lmfao) has shaped so much of the fear and trepidation I have about sports at 43 years old. Somebody could probably write a book about my psyche just as it relates to my brain, sports and how I think every team I support will always fail me for half my f***ing life (and how that’s actually an understatement) but also how I don’t care enough to quit on them and will support them anyway.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
You’re not wrong. We Seattle sports fans (don’t count me among Sounders fans though… go Timbers!) have a serious complex built up because of the M’s. I love the M’s, but I know their being shit for a generation (lmfao) has shaped so much of the fear and trepidation I have about sports at 43 years old. Somebody could probably write a book about my psyche just as it relates to my brain, sports and how I think every team I support will always fail me for half my f***ing life (and how that’s actually an understatement) but also how I don’t care enough to quit on them and will support them anyway.
Seahawks have also had some lean years/decades at times, especially the 1990's. Paul Allen really did turn that franchise around to where they are usually a play off team but if not are never a joke.

Sounders are probably the only team that have always been consistently good since day 1 and won a lot of silverware over various squads. Storm id guess as well.

I think it's important to establish a winning culture early on and establishing a good baseline. Seahawks fans will always compare a team to 2013 and 14 until they win another. Huskies 91 but in general they were a power house under don James and should have more national titles if they weren't a mythical media thing back then e.g 1984 that they should have won over byu. Sonics have a title but usually talk about the kemp/Payton era. Mariners seems to be the 95 team which is a little cringey since they got nowhere near the world series. Was a good moment but 2001 would be better to use since that team really should have won it.

Obviously there's no danger of it but given at times the city almost lost the Seahawks, mariners and did lose the sonics (mostly all due to awful owners or stadium issues rather than fan support) you just want the team to be good so that type of talk never happens. It's a PTSD thing. I think the NBA regrets that move though. Seattle is wealthy as hell now and they moved that team to Oklahoma.

Probably helps get good free agents too if players know the team is serious about success.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Well, they found a way.
giphy.gif

Like others have mentioned, this team is still ways away from how they played earlier in the season and Martin Jones hasn't been good for some time now.
Watching him tend the goal lately feels a bit like this guy on the receiving end of Jean-Claude
giphy.gif

Still, it's another win and yet again on the road while we also gained two points on the Flames, who lost to Toronto.
So now we've got a seven point lead on Calgary with one game in hand.

Given that i don't think there's much of a difference of drafting 15th or 19th, I really hope the team gets it done and qualifies for the playoffs.
Would be a great experience for everyone, especially the fans.

• Haha
Reactions: Sad People

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Well, they found a way.
giphy.gif

Like others have mentioned, this team is still ways away from how they played earlier in the season and Martin Jones hasn't been good for some time now.
Watching him tend the goal lately feels a bit like this guy on the receiving end of Jean-Claude
giphy.gif

Still, it's another win and yet again on the road while we also gained two points on the Flames, who lost to Toronto.
So now we've got a seven point lead on Calgary with one game in hand.

Given that i don't think there's much of a difference of drafting 15th or 19th, I really hope the team gets it done and qualifies for the playoffs.
Would be a great experience for everyone, especially the fans.

All the Kraken have to do is keep up with the Preds and Flames and they’ll make the playoffs. Naturally I’d prefer they decide to wipe the floor for the rest of the season but I realize that’s unlikely. I think the part of the equation we all need to remember… despite having had a very poor February, they are still only 4 pts out of the top of the Pacific. They need to keep winning against lesser teams. If they can manage that, with the schedule they have, they actually have a decent shot at not having to rely on the wild card.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

topcatone

Jun 6, 2016
I hope that it is Grubauer today (BJ). I lived in San Jose when they went to the cup. Jones was amazing. Then downhill after that. His play earlier when Grubauer got hurt looked like that cup run. So, now, allowing what looks like stoppable goals at a critical time. He will be gone at the end of the season, but without him earlier, we would not be a playoff possibility for sure. The Kraken are actually built for playoff success. We have scoring spread on all lines, so no one line or two teams can shut down, and we have great team energy and teamwork. That said, you can't go anywhere in the playoffs without 1) good goaltending (Grubauer MIGHT be that - has the cup experience), 2) good faceoff men, 3) and the capability of clearing the D-ZONE when we have easy chances to do so. So many goals allowed in this situation. Even with those deficiencies, we all know that the playoffs are a different game. You just don't know how teams and players will react under stress. So, having to really fight for the playoffs and the stress involved, might actually help the team in the 1st round.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I hope that it is Grubauer today (BJ). I lived in San Jose when they went to the cup. Jones was amazing. Then downhill after that. His play earlier when Grubauer got hurt looked like that cup run. So, now, allowing what looks like stoppable goals at a critical time. He will be gone at the end of the season, but without him earlier, we would not be a playoff possibility for sure. The Kraken are actually built for playoff success. We have scoring spread on all lines, so no one line or two teams can shut down, and we have great team energy and teamwork. That said, you can't go anywhere in the playoffs without 1) good goaltending (Grubauer MIGHT be that - has the cup experience), 2) good faceoff men, 3) and the capability of clearing the D-ZONE when we have easy chances to do so. So many goals allowed in this situation. Even with those deficiencies, we all know that the playoffs are a different game. You just don't know how teams and players will react under stress. So, having to really fight for the playoffs and the stress involved, might actually help the team in the 1st round.
We'll likely do eff all in the play offs if we get in but I think it would be valuable experience for young players, especially Beniers. I'm also desperate to see our arena with play off hockey. I do think our fans would make it intimidating.

If we did get hot though at the right time similar to our hot streak months who knows maybe a run isn't out of the question, the west isn't exactly stacked (massive 'if' though as we are struggling a bit right now).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad