GDT: Game 61: Detroit Red Wings @ Pittsburgh Penguins - 2/16/2020 - 12:30PM

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
If Glenny would resign for 3 Mil or under I'd lock him up. 4 years x 3 Mil... I have no problem with that. Anything more, thanks for your service.. Highest draft pick takes the prize.

I don't think LGD will be the same player at the end of his contract. His body's got a lot of wear and tear. You can already tell he's lost footspeed. He used to be top 20 percent of the league fast. Now he's lucky to be 50-50.
4 years of HS football. All these years of hard-charging hockey. They've taken their toll.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I don't think LGD will be the same player at the end of his contract. His body's got a lot of wear and tear. You can already tell he's lost footspeed. He used to be top 20 percent of the league fast. Now he's lucky to be 50-50.
4 years of HS football. All these years of hard-charging hockey. They've taken their toll.
While he's noticeably slower, I think that 50/50 comment is hyperbole. He's still faster than average, same as Helm.

Reactions: wingfan

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
While he's noticeably slower, I think that 50/50 comment is hyperbole. He's still faster than average, same as Helm.

I don't think it's hyperbole at all.
And Helm is still way above average, even if slower.
Helm is probably where Glendening was at his fastest.

Glendening can make up for it with the IQ and effort.
But smallish forwards who play a physical game tend to have their bodies break down at 30-32.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I'm sure our wannabe captain Larkin will come out and talk a bunch of nonsense. How can anyone say we have an untouchable on this roster?

I'm sorry but these kind of observations are outlandish and ridiculous. We are outmatched by miles and having high compete only makes up for so much. There are only 5-7 teams in this league that we even have a shot of being in the game with, so we are going to get lit up a lot. Reality is we have 5-7 guys that are playing their butts off every night, some of them are Larkin, Helm, Glendening, Hronek, and Bertuzzi. Being bad makes everyone look worse, and next year when we aren't so bad, people who make these types of comments will just look bad. This game against the Pens was simply being outmatched in talent, not in compete. At least the 1st half was, as I tuned out when it hit 4-1.

These guys are human beings, and when things are constantly going bad, every single human beings strength will bend and break in this type of scenario. Pretending that just cause they make a lot of money they are magically robots and immune to having off nights and low energy is ridiculous. That doesn't even take into account that 3-5 of them then have to answer inane and stupid questions from the media after the game every single time, which would make it twice as annoying to them. This season has been brutal for them and brutal for us, but I will gladly have the 5 players I mentioned on our team next season and a few more like Nemeth, Mantha and Zadina.

Not necessarily directed against you, as there have been lots of comments like this, and this is just the one I chose to respond to.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hmm, well we will never know about that for sure, what we do know however, is that this team is not NHL level. Just a bunch of nobodies really.

Yes we do! Have you ever seen some of these NHL players just horsing around against lesser players? They are miles better than even a little lower competition. Heck I just saw Al Iafrate play in a Leafs alumni game and he took a one handed slap shot, and not only did he score, I am not joking it still had to be over 90 miles an hour. Obviously we are bad, but still be realistic about it, an NHL level team filled with 4th line bums would dominate the AHL and lower leagues.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
The rangers have 40+ pages in their GDT plus 7 pages post game thread. It is almost 50.

We have 8. They are not even making the playoffs.

Can't we do better?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The rangers have 40+ pages in their GDT plus 7 pages post game thread. It is almost 50.

We have 8. They are not even making the playoffs.

Can't we do better?

When you are this bad, it is hard to have excitement or interest. Also, they also have some of their up and comers playing, that makes a big difference, as well as the Rangers are no where close to how bad we have been this season.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Yes we do! Have you ever seen some of these NHL players just horsing around against lesser players? They are miles better than even a little lower competition. Heck I just saw Al Iafrate play in a Leafs alumni game and he took a one handed slap shot, and not only did he score, I am not joking it still had to be over 90 miles an hour. Obviously we are bad, but still be realistic about it, an NHL level team filled with 4th line bums would dominate the AHL and lower leagues.

Well, I watched a lot of hockey games (since the eighties) in different levels, and I wasnt impressed what I saw last night. Not one bit. OK Bernier was solid. Thats it. Sorry you guys in Michigan, but I would take a paperbag with me to the games if I were you.:baghead:

I mean its no fn excuse to play like minor league players when you make millions of dollars. Arent you at least a little bit embarrased?

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
When you are this bad, it is hard to have excitement or interest. Also, they also have some of their up and comers playing, that makes a big difference, as well as the Rangers are no where close to how bad we have been this season.
We could fill up 60 pages by repeating Blashill sucks, and Disco Dan is dumb. Kinda like the chalkboard at the beginning of every Simpson's episode.

So who wants to be Bart?

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Overpaying guys like Helm is how this team got into salary cap issues, if LGD wants anything over $2M, he can take a hike. He's a bottom 6 player, love his effort level but effort alone doesn't pay $3M in the NHL.

I don't think Helms contract has ever been a problem to me... There is minimum 5 or 6 contracts on this team, I worry about more than Helms. That my personal opinion.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

I focus on the core players. I watch then I watch the replay sometimes and analyse the plays.

I never read any reports or reviews on our prospects.

It was the first time I heard of Seider on this board for maybe a week ago .

I do not think I have used 1 min to read about the prospects or the drafts.

I watched 4-5 hours of NHL yesterday. Our game, then Bruins Rangers, then canes vs Oilers.

I watch our games and try to focus on our core players and their progress and development.
Then I watch the players which we have to let go.

I think there is enough to discuss, specially because I was too young and did not follow the wings when Yzerman raised our franchise from the dead things.

So I want to follow every step how yzerman does it this time as a GM.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't think Helms contract has ever been a problem to me... There is minimum 5 or 6 contracts on this team, I worry about more than Helms. That my personal opinion.
At this point it's not much of an issue since he's a tradeable piece, but wouldn't it be better to have someone like Lars Eller at $3.5M than Helm at $3.85? Eller filled in pretty well at 2C the last 2 times Backstrom was injured, meanwhile this team doesn't have a 2C at all.

There's only 2 real problem contracts, and as much as everyone wants them buried in Toledo, I'm beginning to think buyout is the way to go. It saves the team real money (while costing cap hit later on), the long term cap hit isn't that bad. This team needs to quit playing the charade that these are NHL level players, and start cleaning house.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
At this point it's not much of an issue since he's a tradeable piece, but wouldn't it be better to have someone like Lars Eller at $3.5M than Helm at $3.85? Eller filled in pretty well at 2C the last 2 times Backstrom was injured, meanwhile this team doesn't have a 2C at all.

There's only 2 real problem contracts, and as much as everyone wants them buried in Toledo, I'm beginning to think buyout is the way to go. It saves the team real money (while costing cap hit later on), the long term cap hit isn't that bad. This team needs to quit playing the charade that these are NHL level players, and start cleaning house.

100 percent I'd take Ellers but he's signed to a deal thats more team friendly. I'm sure he would like to renegotiate that one.. There is definitely better deals than Helm, there is alot worse. I just appreciate the work ethic he brings, the guy can't score on a break away to save his life... But I appreciate the hard work, his adequate defensive game, and professionalism he brings to the Wings. Watching him go from a healthy scratch, to cup winner, to long term Wing has been enjoyable to me... Don't remember many games I cursed his name, unlike many others.

Reactions: Oddbob

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
100 percent I'd take Ellers but he's signed to a deal thats more team friendly. I'm sure he would like to renegotiate that one.. There is definitely better deals than Helm, there is alot worse. I just appreciate the work ethic he brings, the guy can't score on a break away to save his life... But I appreciate the hard work, his adequate defensive game, and professionalism he brings to the Wings. Watching him go from a healthy scratch, to cup winner, to long term Wing has been enjoyable to me... Don't remember many games I cursed his name, unlike many others.

This is why he has long been one of my favourite Wings. Even after injuries he comes back and plays quite well for his role, although certainly wish he got some more offence in.

Reactions: saska sault

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Eller signed his contract during the season and most Caps fans thought it was overpayment at the time. Then he absolutely crushed it in the playoffs, and so nobody's gonna complain.

Are you kidding? I curse Helm every time he has a breakaway, and loses the puck without a shot.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I think it was our best period in a long time. We came out flying, outshot the pens and scored a very pretty goal.
It looked as it could be a good game.

But, here is what I saw. It wasn't Malkin or Crosby who destroyed us. It was their 4th line guy who scored a hat trick. Our 4th guy Abdelkader finished -3. Their 4th line guy scored 3 goals and one assist in this game, our Abdelkader has 3 assists all season long.

We need guys who can fly and hit out there and provide energy and excitement.

We had a bit of a problem that we started the game with 5 RD and only one LD and in addition we lost Hronek, our #1.

I thought the refs spoiled this game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad