BRUINS GDT GAME 60 9:08 PM - THE BEAR explores Calgary - NESN, ESPN+, SN1, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1677594593443.png

1677594630169.png

1677594670452.png

1677594772958.png

The Calgary Flames are coming off a one-sided 4-1 loss to the defending Stanley Cup champion Colorado Avalanche on Saturday in Denver.

The task for the struggling Flames is no easier when they play host to the league-leading Boston Bruins on Tuesday.

"You're not going to beat these teams with your B-game. We're not beating anybody with our B-game right now," Calgary forward Blake Coleman said. "For me, as a competitor and as a guy who wants to win and wants to compete, it's easy to get up for these games. You want to compete and show these guys we are for real. I think we are.

"If you can't get up for this game, something's not right."

The Flames, four points out of a playoff spot entering Tuesday, are struggling mightily to gain any traction. They have won consecutive games only twice since the calendar flipped to 2023 and have not cobbled together a three-game winning streak since early December.

Calgary is on a 2-3-2 skid, and players are well aware the organization could be a seller just as easily as it could be a buyer as Friday's trade deadline approaches.

The schedule isn't doing the Flames any favors this week, either, with the Toronto Maple Leafs visiting Calgary on Thursday.

"At the end of the day, we have a really good team in the room here," Flames forward Tyler Toffoli said. "We take a lot of pride and every one of us wants to win. Regardless of whether we make a move to get better or not, we believe in ourselves and just have to get the job done."

The Bruins, who hold an 11-point lead over the rest of the NHL in the overall standings, extended their winning streak to seven games with a 3-2 victory over the host Edmonton Oilers on Monday.

Making the triumph unique was that Boston's top-five point producers combined for a single point against the Oilers, an assist for David Pastrnak. Instead of Boston's big guns, Tomas Nosek, Nick Foligno and Pavel Zacha scored, while new defenseman Dmitry Orlov -- acquired via trade from the Washington Capitals last week -- collected a pair of assists.

Such a performance is proof of the overall strength of the roster built by Boston's front office.

"I think we're proud of our process and what it's allowed us to do and be where we are, but I still think there's room to grow," Foligno said. "I still think there are little areas we can get better in. I'm not trying to sound tacky, it's just the reality of our team. I don't think anyone is satisfied here."

The Bruins held the high-octane Oilers to eight third-period shots on goal in what was a goalless final frame.

"You win games in the third period. You understand that and you take pride in that," Boston goalie Jeremy Swayman said. "That's something that you want to keep as an identity for our team, and we just have a little bit more to give. We all know it, and it's pretty special when we see it."

Forward Taylor Hall missed the game and returned to Boston due to a lower-body injury. The Bruins also were relatively fortunate on Monday when Brad Marchand reportedly was cut by a skate on his leg. He missed most the first period while reportedly receiving stitches, but he returned to action.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Vladar vs Swayman would have been fun to watch. Remember when folks were upset that we didn't keep Vladar because he had a good first 6 games for CGY?
I also remember people upset we let Subban go for free after he had several good games in (I think) Vegas. :laugh:

I do like Vladar though, he could be a starter IMO.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I hope there are lots of Bruins fans at the game. It is amazing how we are represented around the League. This will not be an easy game, the Flames are desperate for the points. Looch, please don't hurt our boys! Boys, don't fight with Looch!

What a terrible schedule, they come back from the West and have to play again on Thursday and Saturday...and THEN 4 days off. It would have been nice to have those days off after this road trip. I know, it's difficult to do the scheduling.

Let's go boys, do your best and hopefully come out with a point or two and no injuries.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I hope there are lots of Bruins fans at the game. It is amazing how we are represented around the League. This will not be an easy game, the Flames are desperate for the points. Looch, please don't hurt our boys! Boys, don't fight with Looch!

What a terrible schedule, they come back from the West and have to play again on Thursday and Saturday...and THEN 4 days off. It would have been nice to have those days off after this road trip. I know, it's difficult to do the scheduling.

Let's go boys, do your best and hopefully come out with a point or two and no injuries.

There you go.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I will always love Looch.

I believe at least one member from out board will be there tonight. @Mr. Make-Believe is going.

Anyone else?

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Is there a morning skate today?
Per Fenway a couple days ago:
Tuesday, February 28 (Scotiabank Saddledome, Calgary, AB)

- No morning skate

- Head Coach Jim Montgomery available to the media at approximately 5:40 p.m. MT

- Game vs Calgary Flames, 7 p.m. MT (TV: NESN, Radio: 98.5)

- Head Coach Jim Montgomery and select players available to the media following the game

Wednesday, March 1

- Travel to Boston

Thursday, March 2 (Warrior Ice Arena, Brighton, MA | TD Garden, Boston MA)

- Morning skate, 11 a.m. ET (Warrior Ice Arena)

- Head Coach Jim Montgomery and select players available to the media following morning skate

- Game vs Buffalo Sabres, 7 p.m. ET (TD Garden, TV: NESN, Radio: 98.5)

- Head Coach Jim Montgomery and select players available to the media following the game

Friday, March 3 (Warrior Ice Arena, Brighton, MA)

- Practice, 11:30 a.m.

- Head Coach Jim Montgomery and select players available to the media following practice

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
And also happened to really like Vladar.

However, I don't think anyone is complaining now :laugh:

Agreed on nobody complaining now. Benefit of hindsight is a great thing.

I think if people knew Bergeron was gonna re-sign for another year along with Krejci coming back a year later as well that would have changed things.

As fans trying to armchair GM you can only go by what we know at the time. We have no idea what deals or what conversations are going on behind closed doors.

RI.B FAN

Jul 14, 2002
JAMESTOWN RI
Visit site
Agreed on nobody complaining now. Benefit of hindsight is a great thing.

I think if people knew Bergeron was gonna re-sign for another year along with Krejci coming back a year later as well that would have changed things.

As fans trying to armchair GM you can only go by what we know at the time. We have no idea what deals or what conversations are going on behind closed doors.
No truer words have ever been spoken

Reactions: BMC and mjhfb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad