Pre-Game Talk: Game 6 thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Couple of scattered thoughts:

If Lehtera plays, I have a ton of confidence we win game 6. If he's out, I'm not sure we win game 6. The lines looked terrible last night outside of the SOB line. From the start of the game until we got down 3-1, no one else was producing 5v5. Once we started trailing Hitch broke them apart and we didn't see another quality scoring chance all game long. SOB was dominating play until they got broken up though. Steen had at least 3 golden chances that he didn't bury. It was the other lines that didn't look like they could do anything.

Stastny simply isn't working with Schwartz and Tarasenko. Jaskin looks lost unless he's with Stastny. Berglund too. That should make decision making pretty simple. If for some reason Lehtera can't play G6, I think we should roll SOB, Roaring 20's, Schwartz-Joker-Tarasenko, Porter-Ott-Reaves. Schwartz and Tarasenko can work together alone 5v5, and honestly, Joker is a veteran player that will do the little things right to try and help those two succeed. I have faith in them as a line.

I've not said much about Goc overall this season, but I think trading Lapierre was a mistake. Goc came in and played ~10 games where our 4th line looked awesome, but that also coincided with the time that Reaves went on his run of having his dad in the building and looking like the ghost of Cam Neely. Since then, our 4th line has been outplayed pretty handily. At this point, unless there is a MASSIVE run of injuries, I don't want to see Goc in the lineup again, and we should absolutely let him walk in the off-season. I like advanced stats, but from the eye test, our 4th line in the last 3 years have been MUCH more effective then the current year's iteration. This has hurt us, not as much on the scoreboard, but from a momentum standpoint. Remember when our play would dip, and then our 4th line would get on the ice and maybe they didn't score, generate a scoring chance, or even throw a shot on goal, but they would pound the hell out of the other team, get the crowd going, and remind the other lines how to play North/South and hard in the corners? Those things are just as invaluable over the course of a series, and don't show up in Corsi. I know, I know, if you're depending on your 4th line blah blah. But it's an advantage that helped make a difference in years past when we needed to get back on track, and it's a weapon that Hitch hasn't been able to employ as much this year. Lapierre was one of the few guys who really shined in last year's run, and Goc has been the antithesis of that.

I saw some hate towards Jaskin. I feel that it's unwarranted. Do you remember Tarasenko's first playoffs? Jaskin is a rookie. It's a long season, and he's never had to play at this high a level for this long before. We shouldn't have been counting on him in the playoffs anyway, we should have made a trade for a top 9 forward. I've banged this drum before, but JVR would have been worth it. Jaskin should have been depth this year, not a guy we were looking to provide 12 minutes a night in the playoffs.

Finally, I touched on this in a different thread, but I think G6 goes to Elliott. Allen has had a great run, but now let's protect him and allow him to go into the off-season feeling positive about what happened to him this post-season vs. having him potentially melt down and have to think about that for 5 months. Could he rebound in G6? Sure. However, when he was given the chance during the regular season to be the #1 guy, he had a couple of really nice games, then took a sharp downward turn. We've always had a strategy of, "When one guy falters, we bring in the other guy," when it comes to goaltending over the last couple of years, with pretty impressive results. So why deviate from that now?

I think we've shown that we're the better team overall WHEN WE PLAY OUR GAME. We dominated in G5 even with line combos all whacky. The game changed on Allen's soft 1st and 3rd goal, and the fact that Dubnyk made the three clutch saves he did on Steen. We cannot play from behind against this team. They lock it down defensively like we used to. Score first, don't give up the lead, and we win. If we allow the game to get away from us, and we have to start chasing, I don't think we end up the victors.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
Optimist: Blues play the way they did in game 4 and crush the Wild again on their own ice.

Realist: Blues inevitably cave to sustained Minnesota offensive pressure and lose 5-2, thereby completing another first round exit.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
My thoughts are the same as the last two series: if we can win game 6, I like our chances to win game 7.

But I don't have a ton of confidence in stealing game 6. Minnesota will be smelling blood at home, so we're going to have to play a GREAT game.

Getting Lehtera back in the lineup should help though. That 3rd-line last night with Goc was a disaster offensively. He's not good enough for that role.

anlongo13

Aug 6, 2014
Ottumwa, IA
Negative: They put themselves into a huge hole and it was completely avoidable

Positive: They have the talent to overcome it

The Blues can win these next two games. I am 100% confident in that. What I'm not positive in is their mental toughness. What we saw in games 3 and 5 were complete mental breakdowns. Not sure after an entire season of working to get to this point, they decide to essentially only come to play every other game.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I think the Blues are going to win tomorrow. I really do.

latest

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Can't see Lehtera playing and being effective. I suspect he's got a broken hand...that's about what it would take to keep a guy out of game 5.

I also suspect that the Blues play a very good game tomorrow, but only put up 1 goal (as is the norm in recent game 6's) and don't live to see a Game 7 at home.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. We won't get fooled again. Wild advance tomorrow.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Without Lehtera our center depth just couldn't match up to the Wild's. Goc and Ott blew way too many opportunities to set up scoring chances because they just don't have enough offensive skill.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Wild will bring their best game of the series, Blues will continue to have core players be passengers.

Wild 7
Blues 0

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
I hope they win.

My gut says this is the last game in a Blues uniform or on the Blues bench for a lot of people. If (and likely when) we lose Game 6, it really ought to be a very turbulent off season here.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
I hope they win.

My gut says this is the last game in a Blues uniform or on the Blues bench for a lot of people. If (and likely when) we lose Game 6, it really ought to be a very turbulent off season here.

I can only imagine Tom Stillman's interactions with some of the players after the season is over...

vince-mcmahon-gif.gif

c0fa48414a37b749accbdc1ab1432ae2.gif

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
The Blues can win Game 6, IF they come out on fire, and get a 2-goal lead early. If they don't, they will probably lose.

IF they win Game 6. they could show up and win Game 7 at home, again, IF they score early and hold that lead and expand upon it. I'd guess they have about a 48% chance of winning Game 6 (slightly less than even). It will depend upon which Blues team shows up, AND whether or not the early puck bounces favour them.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
The Blues can win Game 6, IF they come out on fire, and get a 2-goal lead early. If they don't, they will probably lose.

IF they win Game 6. they could show up and win Game 7 at home, again, IF they score early and hold that lead and expand upon it. I'd guess they have about a 48% chance of winning Game 6 (slightly less than even). It will depend upon which Blues team shows up, AND whether or not the early puck bounces favour them.

I don't think it's really if they come out of the gate playing on fire, it's just a matter on sustaining pressure and attack. Game 5 was one of this teams best starts to a game in awhile, but they couldn't take full advantage and keep it up for more than 1 period or less. I'm fine going down a goal or so if we can keep pressure the entire game versus one period.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Can't see Lehtera playing and being effective. I suspect he's got a broken hand...that's about what it would take to keep a guy out of game 5.

I also suspect that the Blues play a very good game tomorrow, but only put up 1 goal (as is the norm in recent game 6's) and don't live to see a Game 7 at home.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. We won't get fooled again. Wild advance tomorrow.
I'm the same way. I'm not going to get my hopes up. People can call me a "bad fan" or whatever, I don't care. I've seen enough of this team to see that they don't have what it takes in this situation, since they've been here before, and it's always the same thing. Hopefully they prove me wrong. Until they do, I can't expect anything different.

This place is going to be a ****show tomorrow if we lose.
And whose fault will that be? The team's, because it's certainly not our fault. People will have every right to be pissed off.

It would be the start of building towards change, something that has been talked about on this board for a long time.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
I'm the same way. I'm not going to get my hopes up. People can call me a "bad fan" or whatever, I don't care. I've seen enough of this team to see that they don't have what it takes in this situation, since they've been here before, and it's always the same thing. Hopefully they prove me wrong. Until they do, I can't expect anything different.

And whose fault will that be? The team's, because it's certainly not our fault. People will have every right to be pissed off.

It would be the start of building towards change, something that has been talked about on this board for a long time.

Almost three years now..

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
This place is going to be a ****show tomorrow if we lose.

I don't think so. Most of the people here are long-time fans who have come to expect disappointment such as this. There will be a few loud and angry fans...as would be expected. But I also think there will also be a lot of apathy towards the situation and many of us will simply turn the page and do the process all over again next year, starting with a new sense of false hope and misplaced optimism. Retool. Rinse. Repeat.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I'm confused as to why we wnet back to our old lines.....CRUSHED MINNY....and then decided that we'd switch up the lines again....I....I just don't get it.......

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Failure leads to success.....but it only leads to success if u change and adapt to become successful......

So basically, if we lose, changes BETTER be made.........

adn i don't mean this pertaining to just mixing up lines.....the only lines that have proven to work, are the lines we used for most the year and in game 4...... Those lines didn't fail so i don't know why they were changed....when the other lines HAVE FAILED......it just doesn't make sense...... Did the blues Management see we were the favorites and bet all their money on Minnesota to win this series so we could afford to pay Tarasenko this offseason??? LMAO.....

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
If Lehtera is unable to play tomorrow I really hope Jokinen plays, this could be his last time playing in the NHL. I see him playing his freaking heart out.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
If Lehtera is unable to play tomorrow I really hope Jokinen plays, this could be his last time playing in the NHL. I see him playing his freaking heart out.

Gotta wonder why he didn't play yesterday. Hitch wanted his no skill grinders in.

So frustrating. Not like Jokinen is some point machine anymore but when he's played he's been involved and he would have been a perfect fit on that line.

Sushiko

Don’t touch my Bozak
Jul 7, 2011
PHX AZ
That's what pissese off, is that we find the lines to get it done but we don't stay with them. I don't care if we win tomorrow because the Blues can't win 2 in a row post season so what's the point? Just prolongs the big let down and allows them to celebrate on our ice. And if we did go to round 2, we will get the usual embarrassing crush by Chicago, but by making it to round 2 would there be that illusion of an improved team and people like Hitch and Oshie-no-show be allowed to keep their jobs? I know, I sound gloom and doom and terrible but I'm one of those that have seen this too many times and am fed up. This team hasn't proven anything to me. Their time to put up and shut up has long past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad