GDT: Game 6: Sharks @ Panthers 4:45pm NBCSCA

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Blackwood is doing his best Dubnyk reviving his career In phoenix imitation. Though i think Blackwood looks better the Dubnyk dead.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I can say this with confidence, the sharks have the slowest defense in the league and not just top speed, I’m talking first step and acceleration too.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
I mean, we managed to finagle a 1st for Karlsson, who really isn't that valuable of an asset (as opposed to player), and of course we were going to take a bunch of cap dumps in return.
That being said Hoffman has been a negative asset that we have to play. This dude actively makes us worse when penciled in. How.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Zadina shows effort and production - Quinn drops his ice time and role.

Hoffman offers zero - Quinn expects him to quarterback with the extra attacker.

Quinn's "playing the right way" talk is baseless rhetoric. He is either intentionally making this team even worse than it already was, or completely incompetent.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
That being said Hoffman has been a negative asset that we have to play. This dude actively makes us worse when penciled in. How.
Just want to say Hoffman is a +16 in Corsi relative. He is arguably one of our better players. Not saying he’s good anymore, but he’s one of our better players. Take that for what you will.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Just want to say Hoffman is a +16 in Corsi relative. He is arguably one of our better players. Not saying he’s good anymore, but he’s one of our better players. Take that for what you will.
According to Natural Stat Trick he is -5.53 in CF% relative at 5v5. Only Sharks forwards worse? Granlund (who has a total of 12 minutes ice time), and Peterson.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Sounds like a game to not watch the replay of if you missed it right…
It was a decent game. I'd say it was our most cohesive game structurally and there was some sick plays from Eklund. It's also interesting to see how they looked without Vlasic. I hope he continues to be scratched

But also, we still suck

Last edited:

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Sounds like a game to not watch the replay of if you missed it right…

It was a decent game. I'd say it was our most cohesive game structurally and there was some sick plays from Eklund. It's also interesting to see how they looked without Vlasic. I hope he continues to be scratched

But also, we still suck

Haven’t read the rest of the thread; just finish the game. Good one to watch.

I thought this was the first game where I saw Eklund show what he might be at the NHL level. Some great plays and a dope AF assist.

Eklund and Bordeleau both showed some things, working with not much open ice to connect dangerous plays (Eklund moreso). While I’d love the story for both of them to be that they’re breaking into the league on a great team where they just need to provide secondary offense, after watching this game I’m encouraged to see how both are adapting to the reality that they aren’t going to have much, if any, open ice to work with. Both players (again, Eklund moreso) showed some nice signals that they can find ways to make things happen with little space to work with.

In some ways the game felt, to me, similar to a playoff game - in the sense that the Sharks continue to have little room to simply dictate the flow through the neutral and offensive zones and that they will need to generate offense with little time or ice to operate.

Almost antithetical to the Thornton/Karlsson eras of regular season hockey; the Sharks lack keystone player(s) to slow the game down and put pucks on open sticks in dangerous areas with time and space. While not at all conducive to actual winning hockey in the short term, I feel like this is great for the development of the Eklunds and Bordeleaus; forcing them to claw for every offensive chance and make the most of any space they can get. I found myself really encouraged by their play this game. Both were tenacious, aggressive, and opportunistic (again, Eklund moreso)

Vlasic, perhaps unsurprisingly so, was not remotely missed; the team already being very capable of bleeding chances against while simultaneously not counting on the defense to do anything offensively dangerous. The defensive corps seems perfectly capable of providing what Vlasic brings without him on the ice; namely some mildly gritty defensive play, pushing opposition offenses vaguely away from scoring areas, the occasional flip out of the zone, and not a damn thing in the offensive zone.

I thought Labanc continued where he left off last game, if he keeps engaging on the forecheck he’s gonna keep getting ice time. Again, while not in any way remotely doing enough to drag this team to a win, he contributed without having the puck on his stick, forechecked with greater fervor than a soggy biscuit, and created some offensive opportunities through some genuine hard-nosed efforts. I wonder if having a child has lead him to reexamine what his game needs to be to stick in the NHL through his late 20s and early 30s. In a minor way, I’ve enjoyed seeing him put forth, in my opinion, a fundamentally different version of his game.

Last edited:

exchequer

Apr 21, 2006
Quinn's "playing the right way" talk is baseless rhetoric. He is either intentionally making this team even worse than it already was, or completely incompetent.
Sharks lose another 6 games and it'll be hard if he's not on the hotseat. Sharks are halfway to the worst losing streak in NHL history.

I think it has gone Knyzhov>Thrun(when he plays)>Vlasic>the guys not named benning or ferraro>Benning>Ferraro. Even if Vlasic hasn't been great he's still better than at least 4 or 5 other guys.
Sorry. Thrun has been terrible. There's no way he's better than Benning.

Don't just take my word - if he was better than Benning, he'd be in the NHL.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Don't just take my word - if he was better than Benning, he'd be in the NHL.

If he wasn't on an ELC and was able to be sent to the AHL without passing through waivers, he'd be on the NHL club.

Thrun was good to excellent in the games he's played when he was up outside of a couple of shifts.

Benning so far has been better than he was last year, but that's not saying much. A used pylon sitting on top of a Roomba would be better than Benning was last season.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Imo, if you're going to bench Vlasic or any LHD, you should play Thrun rather than four RHD's who all can't move the puck all that well. Although, I don't think it matters very much. One rookie defenseman that is somewhat better than the seven guys in the NHL lineup at moving the puck isn't going to change these losses into wins. Too many players on this team have no capability to hang on to the puck and make a play. One person on defense and maybe four guys that can hang on to the puck and make a play is woefully inadequate.

Reactions: landshark

exchequer

Apr 21, 2006
If he wasn't on an ELC and was able to be sent to the AHL without passing through waivers, he'd be on the NHL club.

Thrun was good to excellent in the games he's played when he was up outside of a couple of shifts.

Benning so far has been better than he was last year, but that's not saying much. A used pylon sitting on top of a Roomba would be better than Benning was last season.
they could send vlasic to the AHL can’t they? No ones going to claim him

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Thrun needs more time in the oven IMO. I would call up Okhotyuk and give him a shot assuming he's healthy.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
No, he played in henderson. Looked ok. Physical which surprised me a little, but he’s not ready nor if there a need to rush him.

Well he can only stay down with the Cuda for a couple weeks, at which point we'd have to waive him if we want to keep him down there.

He did look fine last weekend, bit rusty as you'd expect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad