GDT: Game #6: Columbus Blue Jackets @ YOUR MN WILD- Tuesday, 1/29/13 @ 7:00 pm CST

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Toss it away if you like, but it determines the best teams. A 3-2 win where you dominate and the other team gets a couple lucky ones to stay in it doesn't concern you long-term. Stuff happens.

When you play an up-and-down game against a bad team in your barn and need a couple fantastic breaks to win? That's different. You won't get those every time and will lose the game playing that way.

Not completely disagreeing, but to be fair, Columbus needed a couple fantastic breaks to stay in the game. Parise getting one goal waved off and another breakaway negated by a generous holding call? Gilbert's flukey deflection that led to a delay-of-game call? Mason making the save on PMB's penalty shot, and several desperation saves on top of that?

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Dominated one period; outplayed them for another. We controlled the first 35ish minutes of that game.
And there's where a difference lies. Outplayed them in the first? Eh, slightly at best.

Not completely disagreeing, but to be fair, Columbus needed a couple fantastic breaks to stay in the game. Parise getting one goal waved off and another breakaway negated by a generous holding call? Gilbert's flukey deflection that led to a delay-of-game call? Mason making the save on PMB's penalty shot, and several desperation saves on top of that?
Sure, they had their breaks too. But if you were the Wild, would you take Gilbert's goal for being shorthanded two minutes? I think so. Parise: For once a weird goal wasn't legit. Not really a break or no break in my book. Good saves are good saves. About time we ran into some good goaltending after the last two games (aside from the freebie).

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
We dominated one period. That makes a game? No.

Columbus was no where near the Wilds level for the first two periods. The third period the wild stopped moving their feet and thus got into penalty trouble.

As sloppy as they were at times the improvement between last years team and this years team is astronomical. In terms of moving the puck during the break out and through the neutral zone the Wild is a completely different team. The problem is that this team still lacks any sort of killer instinct. Instead of simply trying to hold on to a two goal lead in the third this team should have been trying to keep piling on the shots and keep the puck in the defensive zone. All they did was try to prevent goals without attacking. It resulting in penalties and one terrible period.

Granlunds play is a concern though. Another poster hit it on the head (saywut maybe?). He stops moving his feet and looks for the perfect pass. He needs to find a way to create space for himself by moving his feet and do a better job of protecting the puck.

CaseyJones65

Aug 9, 2009
Northern Iowa
Need to drop Heater to 2nd line and bump MiG up to his place - just for one or two games. He needs to develop some confidence. If he doesn't produce, then it's down to Houston for the time being.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
And there's where a difference lies. Outplayed them in the first? Eh, slightly at best.

We spent the entire first 10 minutes either in their zone or hardly in ours and got 2 goals out of it. It was closer to 'advantage: us' than it was to 'even' but I guess agree to disagree.

It's funny, we dominate the 2nd period, played entirely 5v5 and then give a little back in the 3rd based on 4 penalties and somehow it reflects badly on the entire game for us. It just doesn't add up to me. But I guess it's just whichever way we choose to look at things.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Ten random thoughts on the Wild after Bouchard's goal lifts Minnesota to victory

2. Brodin is so poised, smart and mobile. He made a couple defensive plays that should not in all that is right with the world be made by a 19-year-old defenseman playing his third NHL game and first-ever in Minnesota. Defensemen typically hit their strides in the early- to mid-20s. He is 19. He is a special one, folks. The real deal. And you will see him on the Wild blue line for many years. His game will only evolve defensively, and he already has two assists in three games. But in his own zone, he’s rock solid. And as he adds more strength, he will only get better.

Bacon's so dreamy.

But my opinion right now: I think the Wild seriously need to consider sending Granlund to the minors and calling up one of the other kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad