GDT: GAME 59 8:38 PM - THE BEAR explores the Edmonton ICE District - NESN, NHLN ( No ESPN+), SN, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1677494542224.png

1677495162687.png

1677494583381.png

Bruins' David Pastrnak, Oilers' Connor McDavid in matchup of stars

Two stars of the NHL go head-to-head for the first time this season as the Edmonton Oilers host the Boston Bruins to begin a three-game homestand on Monday night.

The game features the top two goal scorers in the NHL in Edmonton's Connor McDavid (48 goals, 113 points) and Boston's David Pastrnak (42 goals).

Pastrnak had scored three goals in two games before being held scoreless in Saturday's 3-1 Bruins win in Vancouver.

Hampus Lindholm and Brad Marchand scored first-period goals to provide enough cushion for Boston's sixth straight win. Linus Ullmark made 26 saves and scored the first goalie goal in Bruins history with an empty-net tally in the final minute.

"He's been doing this all year," Marchand said of Ullmark, who has a 30-4-1 record. "It doesn't happen often and just tops off an incredible season for him."

With Lindholm scoring, the Bruins are now 21-1-0 in games in which their defense contributes a goal this season.

New Bruins forward Garnet Hathaway and defenseman Dmitry Orlov made strong first impressions, debuting Saturday without even a single practice to help acclimate them with their new team. Both players were acquired from Washington in a Thursday trade.

Hathaway skated on the fourth line with Nick Foligno and Tomas Nosek, the latter who had missed 12 straight games before Saturday with a lower-body injury.

Orlov logged 20:04 of ice time -- second only to Charlie McAvoy among Boston defenders -- while playing on his off side alongside Derek Forbort.

There will likely be a rotation among the bottom-six forwards and bottom-pair defensemen as the Bruins look to find the right fit while marching toward the Stanley Cup playoffs, but coach Jim Montgomery liked what he saw from the newcomers.

"Really good," Montgomery said. "Really impressed with Hathaway's details and penalty killing. It seems like he understands our D-zone coverage already. And Orlov made some special passes on breakouts, in the neutral zone and offensive zone."

After a two-goal, two-assist Saturday performance in Columbus, McDavid has 25 more points than the league's second-leading scorer, his linemate Leon Draisaitl.

The Oilers erased a 4-0 deficit with four goals in less than nine minutes during the second period before a two-goal finish clinched the 6-5 win for the host Blue Jackets.

"I thought Connor ... tried to do things to spur the team on, but again, it's the National Hockey League. You need all 20 people in the lineup to find ways to contribute," Oilers coach Jay Woodcroft said. "It doesn't mean you have to have your A-plus game every day, but we have a certain standard in terms of our detail and adherence to structure that I didn't see a lot of (on Saturday)."

McDavid is the fourth player this season to post three consecutive multi-goal games, joining Draisaitl, Pastrnak and Jason Robertson of Dallas.

The Edmonton center has scored six goals and six assists over that three-game span, which has extended an overall six-game point streak.

Draisaitl has scored in seven straight games, tied with McDavid and Minnesota's Kirill Kaprizov for the longest in the league this season.

"He's been playing really well," McDavid said of Draisaitl. "Everybody goes through stretches where they don't feel great about themselves, and it seems like maybe he was feeling that way even though he was still producing. But he's come back in a big way and he's playing really well and scoring goals like he always has in this league."

Last edited:

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
1677497584522.jpeg

Not happy about missing this one. If any of you ever have the chance to see Connor McDavid play in person - do it. He is the fastest skater I’ve ever seen, and stupefyingly talented. I don’t know if the Oilers will ever be able to build a team around him, but he is well worth your time.

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Oilers have the better player. Bruins have the better team.
Exactly.

When the Edmonton Oilers come to town, people pay to see Connor McDavid. When the Boston Bruins come to town, people pay to see the team.

They (the Bruins) are the best show in the NHL right now, and this is a great team we have here. Such a great season.

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I’ll get the Sportsnet broadcast up here, and the Oilers play-by-play guy is intolerable. Any suggestions for a radio feed? Is 98.5 any good?
I’d say so. It IS the flagship radio station of the Boston Bruins. Solid broadcasters. Judd Sirott and Bob Beers are top notch.

Last edited:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Any guesses on how the pairings will shake out today? Would be surprised if both of Forbort/Gryz doesn't get a rest day in each of these back to back games.

khanomcat

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria, BC
Compared to Jack?
Yes, definitely. At least Jack shows some respect for other teams’ players, and there’s a love for the game I hear in his voice. Full marks for a creative vocabulary as well. Not perfect by any means, certainly, and he does seem to be slipping. I swear the Oilers guy has an orgasm whenever they score.

@khanomcat - The problem is the CRTC blocks WBZ-FM in Canada :banghead:

The easy fix is getting a US-based VPN
Ouch! Thanks for the heads-up. It’ll have to be on mute, I guess.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Anyone else there tonight? We stayed overnight in Calgary and will be making the rest of the drive up early this afternoon.

Yep. My wife and I will be there. Got to Edmonton on Saturday. It's not a bad city, very easy to get around, lots of outdoor skating and other winter activities around. But the main business is tonight. Should be a great game, hoping our boys play well. We want to see a hug at game's end!

IMG_20230226_135306960.jpg

khanomcat

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria, BC
Yep. My wife and I will be there. Got to Edmonton on Saturday. It's not a bad city, very easy to get around, lots of outdoor skating and other winter activities around. But the main business is tonight. Should be a great game, hoping our boys play well. We want to see a hug at game's end!

View attachment 658212
Numbered streets AND avenues, if I recall correctly. Definitely helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad