Pre-Game Talk: Game #56: Vancouver Canucks @ Winnipeg Jets - Friday, Jan. 31st 5:30PM - TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Maybe the ex-Moose players will break their slumps

Either way, there's gonna be a ton of Canucks fans tomorrow in Winnipeg

JA

is this the first time we played the jets since they left Atlanta and return to Winnipeg?

We've played them twice -- both times in Vancouver.

March 8, 2012. 3-2 VAN.

December 22, 2013. 2-1 VAN.

Tomorrow will be the first time the Canucks have played in Winnipeg since February 21, 1996. That was a 5-3 VAN victory. Alexander Mogilny scored twice that night. Gino Odjick recorded 19 PIMs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
I don't care if we lose all the games on this trip, just ****ing beat Boston.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Canucks have never played in Winnipeg yet, I have a bunch of people on FB going to the game tomorrow..apparently some will sport the old Manitoba Moose jerseys/Canucks jerseys

JA

Can we bring mogilny out of retirement ?
2db53f2db37caf506eaee37f32a03784.jpg

Here's a bit more from the last match between the Canucks and Jets in Winnipeg. Jyrki scored a goal that night, as did Trevor Linden and Tim Hunter.
Hunter plays hero: [Final C Edition]
Jamieson, Jim. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 22 Feb 1996: A54.

It was like the remake of Risky Business, but the Vancouver Canucks came out on top in their last regular-season game at Winnipeg Arena.

Sparked by captain Trevor Linden, who had another dominant game in this rink, the Canucks outgunned the Winnipeg Jets for a 5-3 win before 8,592 fans. Linden led a Canucks comeback in the second period, scoring one goal and setting up another as Vancouver rallied from a 2-1 deficit.

Tim Hunter was the unlikely hero, scoring the winner -- his second goal of the season -- at 4:53 of the third period. Hunter swept in Jim Dowd's rebound from the edge of the crease after the Jets' coverage broke down.

"I was kind of surprised (the rebound) was just laying there," said Hunter, who got double his usual ice-time.

"I'll have to check the archives to see when my last winning goal was."

Alex Mogilny scored his second of the game and 48th of the season into an empty net with 4.3 seconds left to complete the scoring... The Canucks matched the Jets in attempting dangerous plays in the first period and paid for it, coming out down 2-1. An ejection to Gino Odjick for instigating a fight with Kris King and a thunderous hit on Alek Stojanov's chin by Denis Chasse's elbow when Stojanov was stickhandling with his head down left the Canucks short two forwards, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Vancouver cut down on the fancy plays in the final 40 minutes.

"We lost two players pretty early and I think our players sucked it up," said Canucks coach Rick Ley. "That's what you expect to come from your character players when that kind of thing happens and it did."

"They really came out at us hard in the first period," said Linden, who had his first goal in eight games along with two assists. "But we got some great efforts from Jim Dowd, Tim Hunter, Jim Sandlak. We got some great chances when their line was out there and we started to feed off it. It took a while but we turned the tide."

"The last two games we got outworked," added defenceman Jyrki Lumme, who opened the scoring in the first period on the power play.

"We talked about it after the first period. We just said we can't let it happen again and we've got to work smarter."

Vancouver goaltender Kirk McLean was sharp in his first action after missing six weeks with minor knee surgery. He made several big saves, but the most timely was on Alexei Zhamnov midway through the third period with with Canucks up 4-3.
Works Cited

Jamieson, Jim. "Hunter Plays Hero." The Province: 0. Feb 22 1996. ProQuest. Web. 30 Jan. 2014 .

Last edited by a moderator:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Let's see, Santo's gone for the season, Tanev and Bieksa are both (allegedly) gone until after the Olympic break, Henrik's still out, our powerplay has fewer goals in a month than Sestito, and Edler's Bambi/Godzilla switch has been permanently stuck on Bambi.

Trying to see something positive, but:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm not going to pretend for a second I'm a coach but personally I'd like to see the lines go:

Chris Higgins - Ryan Kesler - Jannik Hansen
Daniel Sedin - Zac Dalpe - Alex Burrows
David Booth - Jordan Schroeder - Zack Kassian
Tom Sestito - Brad Richardson - Dale Weise

And just have them role 4 lines all night, 15 minutes each.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I'm not going to pretend for a second I'm a coach but personally I'd like to see the lines go:

Switch Hansen and Kassian. We need to see Kassian get time on the "top line" after his great play lately, just to see how he handles the pressure.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

I'd like to see Richardson with some real linemates. Free him from Booth, honestly. He's a feisty player. Hopefully they don't stick him with Burrows and Booth. It's sad they're underperforming so much. Both former 30g scorers.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
I don't care if we lose all the games on this trip, just ****ing beat Boston.

Im down with that...but we are straight up gonna have like half our team. It's gonna be the finals all over again. Henrik is the only one who may be back by then.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
I'd like to see Richardson with some real linemates. Free him from Booth, honestly. He's a feisty player. Hopefully they don't stick him with Burrows and Booth. It's sad they're underperforming so much. Both former 30g scorers.

we don't have enough healthy players to put anyone with real linemates

SpaceCowboy

Feb 2, 2012
I feel for Burr, he was such a force. This year has really been hard for him after all the injuries. I think a full summer of reconditioning will be good for him after this year regardless of his upswing or not. Maybe even the Olympic break will be good, he can perhaps get back to his routine without having to do gameday workouts and stuff. He used to be clutch, now I'm just wishing that he'd get the monkey off his back.

I just want Hamhuis and Luongo to get out of the next few games without injury and make it to Sochi and back healthy. Preferably with a gold medal around their necks.

If anything happens to Kesler/Higgins/Hamhuis before/after than we're doomed.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Higgins - Kesler - Kassian
Daniel - Schroeder - Burrows
Sestito - Richardson - Hansen
Booth - Dalpe - Weise

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Last time the Canucks played IN Winnipeg against the Jets, I was 2 years old. This should be an interesting game to watch, seeing the white, blue, and green in the MTS Centre.

Also 6-2 Jets.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Would like to see Schroeder with Higgins and Kassian. Put Kesler with the can't score crew. Booth/Hansen can do w/e they want in the bottom 6 I don't really care.

Maybe Sestito will get bumped to the third line with Hansen and Dalpe/Richardson.

Meh

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Higgins - Kesler - Kassian
Daniel - Schroeder - Burrows
Sestito - Richardson - Hansen
Booth - Dalpe - Weise

Looks good to me. Schroeder gets top 6 minutes. Kassian with Kesler. Booth-Dalpe-Weise for the 4th. Actually Booth had two big hits in the middle of ice vs Chicago. He slammed someone in their zone and then ran over Shaw in our zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad