GDT: Game 55: Columbus vs. New York Islanders | 2/9 7PM EST

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Not on Korpisalo at all... But - the one thing I wish he had was Bob's skill/mojo/luck in shootouts.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
At this point in the season nothing to be gained by winning the freakin shootout. Korpi was great. I am okay with 1 pt.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
True shame that Korp lost that in the skills contest. But it's hard to be upset with that performance, he was fantastic. It feels premature to say this since he's a rookie but I'm thinking Mac will find himself shipped out in the near future.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
A thing I have noticed lately is the absence of deflected/redirected shots being scored against us. Is there a reason for this? Better positioning in front of the goalie? Just better overall D? Better goalie play? Dumb luck?

All of the above. I'd add predictability of the defenders. They're not running around like headless chickens. You might also file that under better positioning.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
True shame that Korp lost that in the skills contest. But it's hard to be upset with that performance, he was fantastic. It feels premature to say this since he's a rookie but I'm thinking Mac will find himself shipped out in the near future.

To be Bob's backup? Doubt it.

Good game.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
To share starting duties with Bob. Not a back up. Sharing the goalie duties with Bob for the rest of the season. No reason to be running Bob out there night after night for the rest of this season.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
This may not be common sentiment but Torts has got to get Forsberg some starts. As well as Korpi is playing, we don't want to get him fatigued or injured (a la Bob) having to face 50 shots a night. The offense and overall cohesion of the team was just horrendous tonight.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
To share starting duties with Bob. Not a back up. Sharing the goalie duties with Bob for the rest of the season. No reason to be running Bob out there night after night for the rest of this season.

Well Torts' just said today he didn't even know if Bob would play again this season, so that shouldn't be a worry...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Went to the game with my Mom. Was a great time.

Anyway, we played like **** after the first. ONly the Dubi line with Jenner and Atkinson played well. Jones played well and so did Murray. OF course Korpi did too. Other than that, awful

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
You could see the Islanders making adjustments and tightening things up in the second and even more so in the third. Earlier this year, we would have lost that game by 5 goals.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

They aren't going to go into a season with a 7+ million goal tender with 3 years left on his deal with the idea of sharing duties. You start to consider that around the 2018 deadline. If they are going to do that, they are going to start looking at moving Bob.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
BB, I think they have to realize that Bob is not the kind of guy who can handle a 70 starts per year role. Whatever the problem is with his body, it has to be recognized rather than ignored. I think Bob would benefit from having a 1B type of backup who can play the second side of every back to back plus one or two more game during the weeks with a heavy schedule.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I said two things in the last GDT:

1. We won't win a lot of games scoring two goals or less a night.
2. We have plenty of home games left which we can't seem to win.

Last night was an example of both of those points.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
This may not be common sentiment but Torts has got to get Forsberg some starts. As well as Korpi is playing, we don't want to get him fatigued or injured (a la Bob) having to face 50 shots a night. The offense and overall cohesion of the team was just horrendous tonight.

I have to think this a fairly popular opinion.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
BB, I think they have to realize that Bob is not the kind of guy who can handle a 70 starts per year role.

Even if they get that and there is no evidence that they have figured out that (plus 70 is on the high side of expectations), there is no reason to artificially increase Korp's next contract by splitting the load. It's a dumb move financially.

The smarter move is to use your backup that you have under contract for another year and start to look at moving Bob if you can. You need Bob to establish, next season, that he's still an elite starter. You don't need the temptation of splitting time. I can totally see Torts giving the majority of the starts to Korp and we have 7 million doing nothing.

We have to start thinking this through as fans.

Korp has a future, we also don't need to turn him into a 6 million dollar a year goal tender by the time he's 23.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Even if they get that and there is no evidence that they have figured out that (plus 70 is on the high side of expectations), there is no reason to artificially increase Korp's next contract by splitting the load. It's a dumb move financially.

The smarter move is to use your backup that you have under contract for another year and start to look at moving Bob if you can. You need Bob to establish, next season, that he's still an elite starter. You don't need the temptation of splitting time. I can totally see Torts giving the majority of the starts to Korp and we have 7 million doing nothing.

We have to start thinking this through as fans.

Korp has a future, we also don't need to turn him into a 6 million dollar a year goal tender by the time he's 23.

I understand giving Bob a chance to get it going again, which might take a lot of games. But other than that I expect Torts to go with whoever is getting the wins. And I seriously doubt they'll sit Korpi to any extent just to limit his contract. If Korpi plays anywhere near the way he has so far, he will get to play a lot, contract be damned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad