GDT: Game 55: Colorado Avalanche Vs Vegas Golden Knights | 7:00PM | How the West was won

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I am on the fire Deboer train.

I have been on it awhile, but I'm more inclined to blame the GMs or maybe the Owner. Who knows who is making the calls that lead to 15 skaters being on the ice tonight in a crucial game, but someone needs to be accountable for putting the team in bad spots.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I have no doubt Deboer is going to do this stupid goalie rotation in the playoffs.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I would have went with Fleury, but they didn't lose this game because they went with Lehner. 9 times out of 10 you aren't beating Colorado with 1 goal. Finishing was once again the culprit.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
The team didn’t score enough. Tuch had the easiest goal ever and he blew it. Everyone says the first period looked great, and it did, but for that effort it should be a 3-0 lead.

If we score 1 goal against Colorado I expect a loss.
You're aware that Fleury has beaten Colorado 1-0 this season, yes?

And I wouldn't have expected a shutout. An OT point would have kept us in control of our destiny. And the first goal Lehner gave up was Subbanesque. I mean he had 40 feet to track and just sat there trying to be a walrus as it whizzed on by.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
You're aware that Fleury has beaten Colorado 1-0 this season, yes?

And I wouldn't have expected a shutout. An OT point would have kept us in control of our destiny. And the first goal Lehner gave up was Subbanesque. I mean he had 40 feet to track and just sat there trying to be a walrus as it whizzed on by.

Fleury also lost a game to them 5-1. And beat them 3-2 because the team scored 3 goals instead of 1.

I don’t care who the goalie is. You need to score. Especially against a team like Colorado.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
It wouldn’t be surprising to me if Fleury played and gave up a weak goal. Pittsburgh fans criticize him for doing exactly that.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018

Yeah that’s true, fans of different teams don’t act much differently from each other. Even fans of championship teams get frustrated with players and coaches. It’s part of being a fan.

Fleury should be the #1 goalie IMO btw. Didn’t say he should be #2. In fact I thought he should have played more playoff games last year.

The future will be interesting in Vegas. Fleury won’t have another fantastic season and take turns with Lehner. Instead we will bring in a backup that is worse than Fleury and Lehner, and the last time we did that we got Subban for almost 3 seasons. Our defenders won’t be any better either.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm sitting here thinking "wow, the team played great for only having 15 players! When they ice a full roster and Fleury has the playoff start, they're gonna be a force if they play like this."

Didnt come here expecting the sky to be falling and see "fire DeBoer" posts while we're tied for first place in the entire league. I mean I think you guys know I tend to be a pretty critical poster and sure I wanted us to win the division and the President's but it's not that important.

If the team deserves a cup win this year then they'll find a way to beat Minnesota. If not then it's not the end of the world. We can worry about our window with regards to Fleury's age and Lehner's fitness later.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I'm sitting here thinking "wow, the team played great for only having 15 players! When they ice a full roster and Fleury has the playoff start, they're gonna be a force if they play like this."

Didnt come here expecting the sky to be falling and see "fire DeBoer" posts while we're tied for first place in the entire league. I mean I think you guys know I tend to be a pretty critical poster and sure I wanted us to win the division and the President's but it's not that important.

If the team deserves a cup win this year then they'll find a way to beat Minnesota. If not then it's not the end of the world. We can worry about our window with regards to Fleury's age and Lehner's fitness later.

The team played great, and as I wrote, I felt they deserved to play with Fleury behind them. What incenses me here is that DeBore had no reservations against disenfrachising Fleury last playoffs to play the goalie that gave them "the best chance to win."

Some won't agree and I respect that, but I think Fleury has well established his position as the clear best chance to win this season. Even in some wins accredited to Lehner, his technique has been awful. flopping on the ice and slow to get up, unreactive to direct, trackable shots. He has some great saves in there, too, but I just think Fleury has been the consistently better goalie.

Last night, DeBore had an opportunity to break his dogmatic goalie rotation and put the man in net that gave the team the best chance to win THE most important regular season game the team has ever faced. He did not. I'm not even mad that Lehner gave up such a cheap goal to get COL to a tie. My beef is that he was willing to see Lehner as the team's star goalie, to the point of relegating Fleury to be treated like not just a backup, but a backup to be used very sparingly, but he is entirely unwilling now to face the idea that Fleury should be the man today.

I read a lot of opponents boards, and the Sharks board complained consistently about DeBore playing favorites with players and giving them ice time over better options. I mean, of course he has no opportunity to do that with skaters on the current team, but I can't help but feel like Lehner is being given more starts than his performance has recently earned, particularly for a game with the stakes of last night .

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

How about they avoid the Wild this year, then try their luck the next?
It's not like we're praying they avoid the Avalanche or another top team. Some teams just have your number and play with big underdog energy (see Vegas year 1).

If cap/emergency call ups allow, they should play Danny O in the last game of the regular season. He's earned it.

Or anyone healthy, really. Dugan or Quinney too.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Couldn't post about game yesterday (computer was frozen, just like Lehner as the puck whizzed past him).

In my humble opinion, we are far superior to the Wild - if we can get Nosek and Pacioretty back to stabilize the first and third lines we are the best team in the West. I always believe in the law of unintended consequences - while the Blues doubtful to beat Colorado (assuming they win the last 2), they are a big heavy team that can do a lot of physical damage in Round 1, especially because I do not think MacKinnon is particularly healthy.

I thought if you switched goalies last night, game would have been a laugher. I think we are much deeper than the Avs, much bigger and more physical, and we can almost match their speed. I don't think anyone knows anything about what will happen past the division finals, as there was no out of division play this year, but with Fleury on his game, I like our team.

Going forward, I am completely unimpressed with Lehner. Maybe he just needs to get in shape, but from what I've seen I see no evidence he can be a #1 on a Cup-contending team. And for me Fleury shows no real sign of slowing down, Lehner might be untradeable, but if someone wants him, I'd give him up in a heartbeat.

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The team played great, and as I wrote, I felt they deserved to play with Fleury behind them. What incenses me here is that DeBore had no reservations against disenfrachising Fleury last playoffs to play the goalie that gave them "the best chance to win."

Some won't agree and I respect that, but I think Fleury has well established his position as the clear best chance to win this season. Even in some wins accredited to Lehner, his technique has been awful. flopping on the ice and slow to get up, unreactive to direct, trackable shots. He has some great saves in there, too, but I just think Fleury has been the consistently better goalie.

Last night, DeBore had an opportunity to break his dogmatic goalie rotation and put the man in net that gave the team the best chance to win THE most important regular season game the team has ever faced. He did not. I'm not even mad that Lehner gave up such a cheap goal to get COL to a tie. My beef is that he was willing to see Lehner as the team's star goalie, to the point of relegating Fleury to be treated like not just a backup, but a backup to be used very sparingly, but he is entirely unwilling now to face the idea that Fleury should be the man today.

I read a lot of opponents boards, and the Sharks board complained consistently about DeBore playing favorites with players and giving them ice time over better options. I mean, of course he has no opportunity to do that with skaters on the current team, but I can't help but feel like Lehner is being given more starts than his performance has recently earned, particularly for a game with the stakes of last night .
Couldn't you just as easily say he's trying to give Fleury as much rest as possible going into the playoffs so Flower doesn't get burned out, forcing DeBoer to start a cold Lehner in the middle of a series?

Haguerbomb

HOCKEY BELONGS IN THE DESERT
Oct 5, 2019
No Patches...

f***

Pacioretty, Krebs, Martinez, Nosek all out.. Gosh dang it.. :(

Last edited:

mrjiggyfly

Jun 1, 2011
Las Vegas, NV

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
No Patches...

f***

Pacioretty, Krebs, Martinez, Nosek all out.. Gosh dang it.. :(

I mean Patches and Martinez could still play in the playoffs.

Nosek is the only confirmed player that will miss some playoff games.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Problem is if you fire DeBoer the team will bring in another coach that fans will eventually hate.

I’ve looked at a lot of boards too and one thing that always happens is the coach tends to do some questionable things that will piss fans off, and over time fans get more and more tired of it and want him gone.

Picking a new coach is like trying to figure out who will annoy you the least.

Who do you replace DeBoer with?

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018

I’m not surprised Sharks fans would say this, but I find that to be a VERY common issue throughout different sports. Many coaches play questionable lineups and will have favorite players that will leave fans scratching their heads or even frustrate them a lot.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
They still control their destiny. 2 points against the Sharts tonight gives them the tiebreaker.

Edit: Regulation wins is the tie breaker. Dammit.

Last edited:

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Couldn't you just as easily say he's trying to give Fleury as much rest as possible going into the playoffs so Flower doesn't get burned out, forcing DeBoer to start a cold Lehner in the middle of a series?

That game was probably the difference between playing the Blues and the Wild, so I respectfully would disagree that this was his strategy.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00