GDT: Game 55 - CBJ vs DET - 7 Feb, 7pm, @Nat

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The homestand continues against Team Karmic Suffering on Hockey Is For Everyone Night.

Notes and projected lineup per bluejackets.com:
Of Note
The Blue Jackets have points in nine straight games (8-0-1) as well as 17 consecutive games vs. Eastern Conference foes (13-0-4). … Oliver Bjorkstrand has 10 goals during his last nine games (10-3-13) including a four two-goal games. … Pierre-Luc Dubois has a 7-17-24 line in his last 23 games and is plus-17. He has eight points in his last five games. … Elvis Merzlikins has won seven straight starts with four shutouts. He has allowed eight goals in that span with a .965 save percentage. … Cam Atkinson is two goals from the 200 mark, while Seth Jones is two assists from 200 in his career. … The Blue Jackets have won the first two games of the season series, capturing a 5-4 win in Nationwide Arena on Nov. 21 and a 5-3 victory in Detroit on Dec. 17. Columbus is 20-4-2 in the last 26 contests vs. Detroit.
Projected Lineup
(Subject to change)

Nick Foligno - Pierre-Luc Dubois - Oliver Bjorkstrand
Gus Nyquist - Boone Jenner - Cam Atkinson
Sonny Milano - Riley Nash - Emil Bemstrom
Nathan Gerbe - Ryan MacInnis - Kevin Stenlund

Zach Werenski - Seth Jones
Vladislav Gavrikov - David Savard
Scott Harrington - Markus Nutivaara

Elvis Merzlikins
Matiss Kivlenieks

Scratches: Eric Robinson (injury), Andrew Peeke, Joonas Korpisalo (injury)

Roster Report: Stenlund looks likely to enter for Robinson after the latter blocked a shot Tuesday vs. Florida and did not practice the past two days. Tortorella will not address the media until after the team's pregame meeting, at which point he'll give the lineup.

redwings.nhl.com doesn't bother with actual articles, instead directing folks to their Twitter feed, so ****'em.

Scoresheet links (they'll work later tonight):
Game Summary - overall team info
Event Summary - player-specific info

Highlights of the Dead Things' last game:

Reactions: Ginger Papa

FireBabcock

Apr 21, 2019
Hi Guys, I come in peace. Is this young Goalie for real? I come wondering If I should bet the under of 5.5.

He seems like a brick wall

Reactions: Ginger Papa

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Hi Guys, I come in peace. Is this young Goalie for real? I come wondering If I should bet the under of 5.5.

Too early to tell. He could be a flash in the pan, he could be a guy NHL teams just haven't figured out yet, or he could be the next Brodeur. Too small of a sample size.

The one thing we do know is that he's on fire.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

I don't believe a starter has been announced for tonight. Considering the Wings are terrible and the Jackets play a good Colorado tomorrow, this seems like a game where the "other" young goaltender who so far seems like a brick wall will play.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
You know I don't mean to be the contrarian here but I feel confident saying Elvis is the real deal. Is he '<2.00 GAA real deal'? That's crazy to predict. But 'real deal top 10-12 goalie' on an annual consistent basis I am confident in saying yes.

This isn't some Steve Mason 'had one strong season in the OHL' before being a flash in the pan in Columbus, or Andrew Hammond who turned his 3.51 GAA in the AHL into a 1.79 GAA in the NHL for half a season before disappearing. This isn't even a Jordan Binnington who took a mediocre OHL career into a slow rise through the AHL to stardom in the NHL.

Its not like he came out of nowhere. Elvis was considered by some...not just by our GM...to be the best goalie in the world outside of the NHL. For maybe two years before finally arriving. Its not like he wasn't here earlier because he sucked someplace else, he didn't come earlier because Bobs was here and he was happier developing his game as a full time starter in Europe.

Playing for Latvia in the World Cup the last four years, he took what was probably the least skilled and most out manned country in the tournament and dragged them kicking and screaming into competitiveness including advancing past the prelims one year. He was a freaking highlight reel...against legit NHLers. In 2017 he had a 1.98 GAA and .937 Save Percentage and in 2018 he had a 1.50 GAA and .940 Save Percentage. It was never a question of talent...just if/how long it would take him to adapt to the speed and rink size in North America.

Damn, I feel like John Belushi in Animal House! Now let me go get another jug of Gatorade ;)

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi folks, figured with the light schedule & my GDT's already prepared for tomorrow this would be a good night to take @LetsGOJackets!! & @Sadifer 's invitation.

Caveat: I use GIF's a lot so please advise if that's an issue. Some Boards I visit have not liked it & I want to be a respectful guest.

Stats courtesy of The Score app.
I have to screenshot the field with overlap to capture all the columns.
(Note the PPP column error)
IMG_4727.PNG

IMG_4728.PNG

IMG_4729.PNG

IMG_4730.PNG

@Viqsi , feel free to pull these out & add to your OP if you'd like. If you do, I'll come back & delete them from this Post.

Found this gem on the Main Board this morning. Pretty funny reply to @Red Stanley . They had a good natured back & forth.
Red Wings, Red Wings, lifeless dead things.
By November Fat Lady sings.
Got no cap space, got no points,
Cartilage in zero joints.
Yoopers, Hoosiers, Buckeyes, Trolls:
Years ahead with shattered souls.

this is really a dont duck up game
aacc51a3-8d0e-4021-ac0c-e59a743bfb58-gif.316743

Last edited:

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Detroit won yesterday so they already overachieved for the week, they should take us lightly

Thats one of 'the' questions here right now yes.

I hope the Jackets take this game as seriously as any other game.
2tofnc.jpg

Too early to tell. He could be a flash in the pan, he could be a guy NHL teams just haven't figured out yet, or he could be the next Brodeur. Too small of a sample size.

The one thing we do know is that he's on fire.
source.gif
I don't believe a starter has been announced for tonight. Considering the Wings are terrible and the Jackets play a good Colorado tomorrow, this seems like a game where the "other" young goaltender who so far seems like a brick wall will play.
hqdefault.jpg

You know I don't mean to be the contrarian here but I feel confident saying Elvis is the real deal. Is he '<2.00 GAA real deal'? That's crazy to predict. But 'real deal top 10-12 goalie' on an annual consistent basis I am confident in saying yes.

This isn't some Steve Mason 'had one strong season in the OHL' before being a flash in the pan in Columbus, or Andrew Hammond who turned his 3.51 GAA in the AHL into a 1.79 GAA in the NHL for half a season before disappearing. This isn't even a Jordan Binnington who took a mediocre OHL career into a slow rise through the AHL to stardom in the NHL.

Its not like he came out of nowhere. Elvis was considered by some...not just by our GM...to be the best goalie in the world outside of the NHL. For maybe two years before finally arriving. Its not like he wasn't here earlier because he sucked someplace else, he didn't come earlier because Bobs was here and he was happier developing his game as a full time starter in Europe.

Playing for Latvia in the World Cup the last four years, he took what was probably the least skilled and most out manned country in the tournament and dragged them kicking and screaming into competitiveness including advancing past the prelims one year. He was a freaking highlight reel...against legit NHLers. In 2017 he had a 1.98 GAA and .937 Save Percentage and in 2018 he had a 1.50 GAA and .940 Save Percentage. It was never a question of talent...just if/how long it would take him to adapt to the speed and rink size in North America.

Damn, I feel like John Belushi in Animal House! Now let me go get another jug of Gatorade ;)
Great Post! I learned a lot from this, Thank you.
2tjhgo.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
You know I don't mean to be the contrarian here but I feel confident saying Elvis is the real deal.

I got on another poster for using this term in describing Korpi earlier this season so I'm not going to let this slide. It's waaaaaay too early to be saying this. He has shown some promise and I was happy he got his chance to show how good he can be. But let this play out before anointing this guy as having arrived already.

This is as must a win as can be. No taking these guys lightly. Pedal to the medal for 60 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad