GDT: Game 55: Avs vs Jets | 8 PM MT | February 6, 2016 | There's a Hockey Game Tonight

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Really Robin? You're making it sound like they fired him and we picked him up. He was moving from running their minor league system to managing at the pro level with the Avs.

It was a promotion for him inside of another organization.

http://bsndenver.com/avalanche-hire-chris-macfarland-as-assistant-gm/

Ok fine, but trying to pin this on MacFarland based on that he signed with a team MacFarland had alreadyt left is ridiculous. Anyone involved in this ****ed up, regardless who it was.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
MacFarland moved over after they had their redraft organizational meetings, he's at least have awareness of the guys they were interested in signing. I'm sure it's not all him, the scouts have input too. But anyway, we haven't had the other shoe drop here with the deadline and the contracts and all that. When it's March 1 and he's still here then we can say it was nothing more than they liked him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
But he was clearly on his way and you think they would have signed MacFarland players after he left? If they liked his ideas they would have kept him

That doesn't really matter though. He wouldn't have stopped doing his job.

If he didn't have a prominent role in scouting Bodnarchuk specifically in Columbus, he would have been aware of the reports the other scouts were giving him. This is input he at the very least added to what the other Avs scouts were putting on the table when they went to Sakic and Roy suggesting they claim him.

Doesn't mean MacFarland was the main reason Colorado claimed him, but the idea that he wasn't at all involved in Columbus signing him, isn't quite accurate IMO.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Ok fine, but trying to pin this on MacFarland based on that he signed with a team MacFarland had alreadyt left is ridiculous. Anyone involved in this ****ed up, regardless who it was.

Lmao, don't disagree with you there. But couldn't get behind the context you used.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Not that i want anyone injured but how come Cliche, Guenin etc.. never ever got injured, it's important guys like EJ get injured on defense or a solid 4th liner like Skille. Maybe this team is just destined to call up Cliche eventually, he's an iron man

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So Roy's presser today he says he's going to give Grigo more than 1-2 games up there. We'll see. He also hinted that Pickard might not be going back to San Antonio.

Berra doesn't seem to be progressing in his injury very well. Something tells me Patrick has been less than thrilled with the idea his backup injured himself this badly playing soccer before a game.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
So Roy's presser today he says he's going to give Grigo more than 1-2 games up there. We'll see. He also hinted that Pickard might not be going back to San Antonio.

Just the fact that he said that helps, it means that's his 'intent'. So in his mind maybe Greg has to play himself off of the line maybe a bit more than he did in the past.

We know Roy changes his mind on stuff, but that's really good news IMO. I could see Roy possibly using him there for majority of games, but possibly still putting Tanguay there if hes playing well that night in certain situations. Hopefully Greg takes it and runs with it though, and does not give Roy the option to consider that.

Great news

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I like how someone told Pickard after he changed after practice, that he's not supposed to pick Carolina to win. :laugh:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Berra doesn't seem to be progressing in his injury very well. Something tells me Patrick has been less than thrilled with the idea his backup injured himself this badly playing soccer before a game.

They all do the soccer warmup so I don't think it can really be held against him but every time he's asked about Berra it's like "oh yeah, uh whatever". He said they have some decisions to make. Just send Berra down and get it over with, when he's ready of course.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Tough news about Skille. But it does give us an opportunity to see what Martinsen does in his natural role as a 4th line winger. With Wagner in the middle, no less. Obviously I'd rather see Skille in there but those line combinations look cleaner than they have in a while.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
They all do the soccer warmup so I don't think it can really be held against him but every time he's asked about Berra it's like "oh yeah, uh whatever". He said they have some decisions to make. Just send Berra down and get it over with, when he's ready of course.

It's not that he was doing it, it's that he got hurt somehow doing it. Just pure speculation on my part, but if it was a forward it would be different. I think Roy has always viewed his goaltenders differently, especially backups who's job is to always be ready to play. Between this off ice injury and his inconsistent play, he hasn't been able to count on him much. Of course if he is unhappy, he's not gonna voice it publicly, just like he never voices it publicly.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Tough news about Skille. But it does give us an opportunity to see what Martinsen does in his natural role as a 4th line winger. With Wagner in the middle, no less. Obviously I'd rather see Skille in there but those line combinations look cleaner than they have in a while.
Martinsen has been on the 4th line for a while now and not much has gotten better.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So the lines are:

Greg - MacK - Matt
Landy - Soda - Lake
Corpse1 - Malkin - Corpse2
Highlander - Some Guy - Biffkaka

Beauchemin - Kondor
Cinderella - Barrie
Bigras - Bodybychuck

God

...right? Well, I guess I'm staying in tonight...yay 9pm start times on weekends! I'd love it if we crushed them, but tbh I'd prefer an OT win that the team really has to grind out because the bounces just don't go their way until the very end, despite playing well. The kind of hardworking win that is often found at the start of a strong run of form.

...plus it'd be nice to hurt the Jets' tank, if doing so didn't hurt our playoff dreams; cause picturing Matthews in their future lineup (alongside Wheeler / Connor / Ehlers / Scheifele / Little / Perreault / Petan / Harkins / Lemieux / Spacek / Roslovic) makes me want to break things, especially after Nashville finally got a #1C of their own. That'd leave only Minnesota and STL without top class #1Cs in this division; and I'll be surprised if RNH doesn't end up flourishing with one of them in the near future.

Roy can't yank around Grigorenko anymore. We're out of options on that line. Give him a chance to sink or swim, and don't yank him if there's a bad shift or two.

I'd imagine that it'd be a lot better in the locker-room if Roy lets Greg work through any struggles on that top line, now that Patty's tried every-****ing-body else in that spot; after having shown that he's not afraid to yank his pet-project from that spot if he's not satisfactory.

Not attacking anybody's character here, but it's gotta be tough on vets like Iggy and Tangs to see how much they've fallen off this season. So giving them every chance to prove that they just "had a slow start" or whatever, probably helps the cohesion in the locker-room a lot. Especially now that they (have to feel) like Greg has really earned his way to a serious look on the top line, with his months on the 4th line and work on the PK.

[/wishful thinking]

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Martinsen has been on the 4th line for a while now and not much has gotten better.

That's true, but I thought of it more as a spare parts line than a traditional "energy" fourth line. Iginla was on that line for a while, he's hardly a rough'em up bruiser type even at this stage of his career. Wagner and McLeod on that line is definitely a better fit for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad