Pre-Game Talk: GAME 55 5:08 PM - The Fishsticks are coming - The Fishsticks are coming - NESN, NESN 4K, ESPN+, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1676708318437.png

1676708378268.png

1676708504312.png

The Boston Bruins will attempt to complete a three-game season sweep of the New York Islanders when they return home to begin a quick homestand on Saturday.

Boston, which will also host the Ottawa Senators on Monday afternoon before starting a four-game Western road trip, beat the Islanders in December and January.

Before returning home, the Bruins came from behind for a 3-2 overtime win over the host Dallas Stars on Tuesday before rolling past the host Nashville Predators 5-0 two nights later.

Boston winger Jake DeBrusk is slated to play on Saturday, returning from hand and leg injuries that he sustained in the Jan. 2 Winter Classic.

"He's been cleared for a little while, but where he's at with the tenderness and checking the boxes to be ready to play mentally and physically, we think he's in a good spot," Bruins coach Jim Montgomery said of DeBrusk.

Despite the results on the just-ended 2-0-0 road trip, Montgomery did not believe his team was at its best but did say it was opportunistic.

Jeremy Swayman made 28 saves to post his second shutout of the season and second in as many career starts against Nashville.

"I didn't think we were on top of our game," Montgomery said. "I think that if our goaltender wasn't as good as he was, it would've been a tight game. We had some fortunate bounces that went in the net."

Five different Bruins scored against the Predators, and Boston broke an 0-for-21 power-play drought with captain Patrice Bergeron's second-period goal.

Bergeron had not logged a point in six-plus games, the same length as the Bruins' outage with a man advantage.

"We created some momentum out of (the power plays)," Bergeron said. "You're not always gonna score on it, but if you're at least able to create some chances and give your team a boost, I thought we did that."

New York is set to play the second a back-to-back games, having come from behind to earn a 5-4 win over the visiting Pittsburgh Penguins on Friday.

The victory broke a 0-1-2 skid that had followed a four-game win streak.

"We've talked very, very often about the fact we need victories, so it was a big win for us," Islanders coach Lane Lambert said.

Brock Nelson and captain Anders Lee each had two goals and an assist for the Islanders, who scored the only two goals of the third period to earn the victory despite being outshot 44-28.

Zach Parise netted his 82nd career game-winning goal with 2:43 remaining. The tally came on the night when he became the fourth active American-born skater to play in 1,200 career NHL games.

"I think it's fitting," Nelson said. "You talk about a great guy who does everything the right way. He goes about his business and works extremely hard. It's like it's his first day every time because his energy is contagious."

Nelson, who had the game-tying goal, extended his point streak to 12 games, the Islanders' longest since John Tavares' 12-game run in 2011-12.

Lee scored his 20th and 21st goals of the season, reaching the 20 mark for the seventh time in his career. He had been on a five-game goal drought before Friday.

PastaBaked

May 8, 2021
Excited to see JDB back in the line-up - the season has been a real struggle for Craig Smith but I appreciate his bringing 100% effort every night and not letting his head drop.

FIshsticks were just involved in a shootout with the Penguins, and really should have been comfortably beaten but benefited from Pittsburgh having a scrub in goal.

I thought I seen something about Lauko going back to Prov, which is a shame as I thought he brings pace, youth and effort to the 4th line. I assume Smith will replace him, and I think he brings only one of those qualities.

McAvoy must be due a big game soon - what a luxury to have a guy like LIndholm running things so that one of the best d-men in the league doesn't have to carry it all himself - i'm going to predict a 3 point game for Mac today.

Go B's.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It will be nice to get Jake back. Hopefully the power play continues to improve, if it can become a weapon again, look out. Make it 3 in a row Bruins, no siblings hangover!

I reckon at least most of the siblings will stick around for a home game. Makes sense with it coming just a couple of days after Nashville. They may not have a corporate box or something like that, but they'll be there.

The Islanders are on a back to back with travel, the Bs are at home. Great time to be catching them, so make it count. Jake returning should add an extra morale boost, if any were needed. The top line's battled some hard going in his absence. They found some life against the Preds though, so hopefully they can carry that momentum into this one especially with DeBrusk back where be belongs. Krejci and Pasta have had a pretty quite little patch too, aside from Pasta's OT goal in Dallas, so would be good to see them tally some points as well.

Start on time again and don't let up!

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
It seems like a very long time since I went to a Bs game.

I will be driving my new Crosstrek which I picked up last night. It feels huge and after driving a stick for 55 years will take some getting used to.

There are many fancy and new fanged things to get used to

So far, I learned how to use the push button to turn the car on and off, know where the lights are. Oh, it has a CD player and I know how to use that:)

GO BS

MustardStew

Lurking Lurker
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2003
Hillsborough, NC
Oh, Kanye's team...

I'm never terribly interested in Islanders game. They seem to be really boring to me. Though I AM still hurt by our un-success against them in the 80s haha.

I'm missing this one... GO BRUINS!

Last edited:

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

I will be driving my new Crosstrek which I picked up last night. It feels huge and after driving a stick for 55 years will take some getting used to.

So far, I learned how to use the push button to turn the car on and off, know where the lights are. Oh, it has a CD player and I know how to use that:)

GO BS
Congrats! I know you will love it. Plus a lot of safety features you probably didn’t have before.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

GO BS
How did you manage to get a CD didn’t even think that was a option anymore in new cars,I actually don’t mind just having the radio to listen to I have my 60’s 70’s and 80’s music station to listen to ,the good music.Lol Not really sure where my CD’s are anymore my last 2 cars haven’t had a CD player,not sure where I put them. But that’s ok stI’ll have my records and record player,when I really want to nostalgic.Lol

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Just win baby!
1676728601686.jpeg

You said it all right there, @Trizz617!

I was lucky enough to catch the game on Thursday night, and I’d say I was “gleeful” at what I saw. Few things in this life better than the Bruins firing on all cylinders.

Very much looking forward to seeing DeBrusk (Hero of the Winter Classic) back in action. He’ll probably be rusty and might not get full-time minutes, but that will come. He’s been playing very well this season, and my appreciation of his game has definitely gone up.

I don’t think we’ll see another bloodletting tonight like Thursday, but I’ve got a good feeling about this one.

:bruins

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I felt bad.

There’s an older gentleman in my prayer group. He asked if anyone has ESPN. He told us he just wants to watch the Boston Bruins so he signed up for ESPN+.

He went to watch the Nashville game and got the blackout notification.

I tried to explain to him why.

They’ve made it so difficult and convoluted for some people who want to watch.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I felt bad.

There’s an older gentleman in my prayer group. He asked if anyone has ESPN. He told us he just wants to watch the Boston Bruins so he signed up for ESPN+.

I guess hockey isn’t for everyone, after all. :(

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
How did you manage to get a CD didn’t even think that was a option anymore in new cars,I actually don’t mind just having the radio to listen to I have my 60’s 70’s and 80’s music station to listen to ,the good music.Lol Not really sure where my CD’s are anymore my last 2 cars haven’t had a CD player,not sure where I put them. But that’s ok stI’ll have my records and record player,when I really want to nostalgic.Lol
I am 70 and most of my beloved music is from the 60s and 70s (a few 80s). I still have all of my Vinal albums (and a few 45s).

I also bought many CDs and LOVE listening to music in the car. Not many new cars have CD players and that was a positive buying point for me. I also gave myself the gift of the Harman Kardan music system. It sounds really nice.

I don't know how long (years??) it will take me to get used to an automatic shift after 55 years of driving a standard.

The car feels BIG but it may be because it sits so much higher than my Honda did.

Anyway, back to the Bs. I hope they play well today, and no one gets hurt. Welcome back Jake!

Hey Steve, I hope the Bruins win today.

1676738525642.png

HERE WE GO BRUINS...HERE WE GO :clap::clap:

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
View attachment 652309
You said it all right there, @Trizz617!

I was lucky enough to catch the game on Thursday night, and I’d say I was “gleeful” at what I saw. Few things in this life better than the Bruins firing on all cylinders.

Very much looking forward to seeing DeBrusk (Hero of the Winter Classic) back in action. He’ll probably be rusty and might not get full-time minutes, but that will come. He’s been playing very well this season, and my appreciation of his game has definitely gone up.

I don’t think we’ll see another bloodletting tonight like Thursday, but I’ve got a good feeling about this one.

:bruins
Most definitely. The boys look ready to shift into another gear now. The past 2 games being a solid indicator. Lets Go!!!!

Reactions: rfournier103

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
I felt bad.

That's why I dumped ESPN(+?) after those blackouts last year. I took my money and bought NESN+ which is a way better investment

Reactions: rfournier103

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
ESPN+ sucks. I was living in upstate NY at the time when covid first struck and when the NHL started back it seemed like they were more often then not, playing one of NYI/NYR/BUF/NJ.

I was blacked out against all those teams and I could only really watch the games where they played WSH/PIT/PHI.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Excited about this one! Leave no doubt boys. Play hard. Play smart. Be physical. NO INJURIES. Passes with conviction please. Get the pp fixed okay. Build from last game. And finally. The return of Jake! Let's get it!

You know the drill!
giphy.gif

And RETURNINGGGG TO THE LINEUPPP
NUMBER 74.. JAAAAAAAAKE DEBRUUUUUSK!

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f...gif

Severely underrated, underestimated, and sorely missed by this team. Glad he's healed and ready to go.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I thought I seen something about Lauko going back to Prov, which is a shame as I thought he brings pace, youth and effort to the 4th line. I assume Smith will replace him, and I think he brings only one of those qualities.

I assumed that meant Nosek was good to go? Isn't he close?

[edit: D'oh, of course it's mostly due to Jake coming back.]

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad