GDT: Game 54: Red Wings @ Sabres - 2/9 1pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
cut.jpg

Game Preview: 2/9/19 vs. Detroit

LAST GAME
Thursday, February 7
Carolina 6 at Buffalo 5 (OT)
Goals: Skinner (2), Rodrigues, Pominville, Scandella
Goalie: Ullmark (24 saves/30 shots)
PP: 0/2; PK: 2/3; Shots: Buffalo 39 – Carolina 30

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 180)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Casey Nelson (upper body, Dec. 8; injured reserve) – 24 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/3: Assigned F Remi Elie to Rochester (AHL)
2/4: Recalled F C.J. Smith from Rochester (AHL)
2/8: Assigned Casey Nelson to Rochester (AHL) on a conditioning loan

UPCOMING GAMES
Sunday, Feb. 10: Winnipeg at Buffalo, 3 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 12: NY Islanders at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Friday, Feb. 15: NY Rangers at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 17: Buffalo at New Jersey, 6 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 19: Buffalo at Florida, 7 p.m.

TODAY’S GAME
RED WINGS at SABRES

• This is the second of four meetings between the Sabres and Red Wings this season.
  • Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Detroit 3-2 (SO) in Detroit on Nov. 24, 2018
  • Next meeting: Thursday, March 28 in Buffalo
  • The Sabres are 6-3-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Red Wings; 3-6-1 at home.
  • This is the 139th game all-time between Buffalo and Detroit; Buffalo has a 61-59-18 series record.
  • The Sabres are 37-20-10 at home against the Red Wings all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
  • The Sabres are 8-6-4 all-time on February 9.
  • February 9, 1984: Gilbert Perreault records his 700th NHL assist in an 8-5 win vs. New Jersey.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
  • Today’s game is Buffalo’s sixth afternoon game of the season. The Sabres are 4-1-0 in the first five.
  • Today’s matchup is the fourth game of a seven-game homestand that ties the stretch from Jan. 20 to Feb. 2, 1997 as the longest in franchise history.
  • The Sabres have killed 22 of 23 penalties (95.7%) against Detroit in their last six meetings, dating back to March 20, 2017.
  • Marco Scandella (500) and Rasmus Ristolainen (400) are both expected to reach games played milestones today.
  • After tying his career high with his eighth goal of the season on Thursday vs. Carolina, Evan Rodrigues has totaled seven points (6+1) in his last eight games.
  • Rasmus Ristolainen has tallied eight assists in his last eight contests.
  • Casey Mittelstadt enters today’s game seeking his first career four-game point streak, and has six points (1+5) in his last eight games.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Driving back from Boston during, so I’ll only catch the radio. Please suck less guys. Specifically Jack.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Housley won't be fired this year, no big trades are coming. This is the team that will be iced the rest of the year sans a small trade or two at the deadline to help Rochester.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
Always hated Saturday afternoon games. But I guess it's good for our Euro fans. We get spoiled with normal start times so I guess I can't complain. :laugh:

Anyway, just get two points.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Always hated Saturday afternoon games. But I guess it's good for our Euro fans. We get spoiled with normal start times so I guess I can't complain. :laugh:

Anyway, just get two points.
Even too early for me I never come home before 3pm ET

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Hopefully Housley will be fired by then
If we lose today at home to a real bad Wings team and he isn't you know 100% there is no chance that is happening. We HAVE to win this game or we are starring at 6 points out in a league where making up ground is incredibly difficult.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
If we lose today at home to a real bad Wings team and he isn't you know 100% there is no chance that is happening. We HAVE to win this game or we are starring at 6 points out in a league where making up ground is incredibly difficult.
I just don't have any faith in Housley and Botterill righting the ship.Housley looks like he is over his head and his lineups are head scratching to say the least.Botterill who knows what he is doing or thinking hopefully talking to Quinnville

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I actually can't recall one game where Housley iced a line-up I was totally happy with. I'm sure a lot of combinations don't make a great big difference given the 7-8 players that should be replaced eventually, but even still Housley hasn't put everybody where they seem to be best all at the same time.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I’ll miss this one. Someone count the number of times the Sabres have clear possession and turn it over in the o-zone with all three forwards below the face off dots.

OP noted Sabres 4-1 in afternoon games this year. Wasn’t the last one the pathetic showing vs DAL on MLK day?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I'm going to surmise, for my own mental well being, that Dufus walking up quickly behind Yerdon meant that holding the door was the only way he could get in. I'm going to imagine Dufus standing there for hours, pretending to read a newspaper, waiting for anybody with creds to let him in.
Maybe he’s “been studying the game, thinking what he’d do in certain situations?”

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Surprised Ullmark is in, but back2back they are both getting a start

Thompson back in the lineup in place of CJ Smith. This is what you would do if you were actively trying to make your team less competitive.

This organization is hopelessly inept. Edmonton East.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Housley won't be fired this year, no big trades are coming. This is the team that will be iced the rest of the year sans a small trade or two at the deadline to help Rochester.

That sound you hear is the sound of Sabre fans opening up 2nd story windows.

Thompson back in the lineup in place of CJ Smith. This is what you would do if you were actively trying to make your team less competitive.

This organization is hopelessly inept. Edmonton East.

At least the Oil win lotteries. Oh. Wait. Nevermind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad