GDT: Game 54: Boston Bruins(29-17-4) @ Seattle Kraken(16-33-4) - 7:00 p.m. PT / 10:00 p.m. ET

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
At least Gourde wasn't traded. Gotta take something positive away from this.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Yeah. Grubi stood on his head all game long and gave that one up. Can't hold the loss on him though since we would probably have lost by 3 or 4 goals if not for him.

Yeah, seems to be the story of the season for him and the whole team.

We can't really have nice things and even if the goalies play well, there's at least one screw up that basically ruins the performance.
Too bad because he had a very good game, but hey, at least his SV%(loads off people going crazy about it all the time) was pretty good.

Overall way better effort than the last two games, but still not enough against an actual NHL team....

Reactions: Toomany7pins

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Well they were in the game until they found a way to lose. Yeah boy we got us some cap space though!

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Sucks to lose like that, but given that after the first 10 minutes of the game, the score probably should have been 4-1, I will take the point.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Bruins fan here... I was here for the game (live in NH). Nice arena. Nice city. Good people. It was my first time in Seattle.

Best of luck going forward.

Thanks and congrats to you and your team on the victory tonight, and good luck in that Eastern race.

Enjoy your stay in the Pacific Northwest!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyfan

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Good game. Good entertainment. That was what I expected this team to be from the outset and I think what they hoped for. Solid hard work and great goaltending. Losses don't matter at this point after all.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Good game. Good entertainment. That was what I expected this team to be from the outset and I think what they hoped for. Solid hard work and great goaltending. Losses don't matter at this point after all.

Yep, that certainly was the plan.

BTW: Interesting stat they showed today was that the Kraken are 11--2-1 when holding opponents to two goals or less.
That meanst the Kraken had 11 of their 16 wins when keeping teams to two goal or less.

So if we'd be able to improve defensively for next season(including better and more consistant(at least league average) goaltending) we should be able to have a better season.

Reactions: Irie

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Yep, that certainly was the plan.

BTW: Interesting stat they showed today was that the Kraken are 11--2-1 when holding opponents to two goals or less.
That meanst the Kraken had 11 of their 16 wins when keeping teams to two goal or less.

So if we'd be able to improve defensively for next season(including better and more consistant(at least league average) goaltending) we should be able to have a better season.

Saw that stat too, and I think i hammers home what most of the posters here were saying even before the season, and everyone except Hakstol seeemed to agree, that the way this team is going to compete will be to play a committed defensive game and work for their chances off of their opponents mistakes.

Low scoring defense first games will keep them in games and give them a chance night in and night out.

Hakstol seems to believe that the team can open it up and skate with anyone.

I still believe the majority of the failures this season are mostly on the coaching and not on the Expansion draft, given what was there to choose from.

Reactions: The Marquis

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Missed this one but I see they took it to OT. Keep the games close but pick up a point here or there, maybe a win once every few games just not enough to get out of the bottom 3. Play hard for the fans so they remain entertained. Can't see how Giordano isn't a 1st + for trade offers, there isn't a better D available, even Lindholm, this year so he should be one of the few who gets a 1st. It's almost March, gotta start the wheeling and dealing.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Missed this one but I see they took it to OT. Keep the games close but pick up a point here or there, maybe a win once every few games just not enough to get out of the bottom 3. Play hard for the fans so they remain entertained. Can't see how Giordano isn't a 1st + for trade offers, there isn't a better D available, even Lindholm, this year so he should be one of the few who gets a 1st. It's almost March, gotta start the wheeling and dealing.

I agree, I think Gio should get as well but who really knows .. TDL is a crazy time.

Also agree about the draft. Winning games at this point in time really does nothing for our future. I do think that losing Gio and Jarnkrok will be significant step backwards. Loss of any other minor pieces like Blackwell, Sheahan, Johansson won't have much impact on the team but I am fairly certain it won't make us better than we currently are.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
A few thoughts from last nights game.

1. Coaching is a major problem for this team and will continue to be until it is addressed. It's a broken record but what do the
Kraken actually stand for? It certainly isn't speed , a 200 foot game, a physical game, a creative game, a cycle offense attack, dump and
chase, etc. Actually, the team has regressed in positioning and passing as the season has gone on. The Kraken and the Bruins were tied
going into the third. Boston was playing its first game of a west coast trip. Eastern time zone should have played a role in the third.
So what happens, the Kraken play conservatively, slow, almost like they wanted a tie. Three times in the third , two by Dunn, the player behind the net waited with the puck for a line change delaying moving up ice. Dunn tried twice to execute a 110 foot pass from right next to Gru trying to get a brake away. Seriously twice? Time is ticking down and their delaying action and then trying a hail Mary pass. Crazy. Could the team actually come out in the third and check and physically set the tone? Does GMRF and Hakstol want a top three pick? They didn't want the win, they didn't play for the win, and they lost in OT which they should have. Further, continued high sticking is non disciplined hockey of which the Kraken did execute that all game.

2. Seriously, there wasn't a player on the ice that shouldn't be looked at to upgrade or trade. Yes, Gio and Eberle had great moments, but neither of them should be in the Kraken long term plans. The only way this team gets significantly better is through the draft. If they get lucky and land a few prospects that become elite, they will improve faster. Otherwise, expect at least till 2025/26 till they are competitive. Moving on from Hakstol would also help the team along. Scary scenario is just how much damage he is doing to the the younger players presently on the roster. Coaching is that bad. If he was relieved, who would hire him? Lets hope GMRF can load up on draft picks leading up to the trade deadline. It will be a very telling time for Ron and the future of the franchise.

3. Negative Trends. Lots of open seats last night mid ice in the lower bowl. Tickets could be had really cheap. There was a good section of Bruin fans behind the Kraken net that actually led the chants a few times. . Not that many people drinking at the game. That might be the high cost at the arena, but certainly not the festive atmosphere as prior games. No doubt there were some negative comments. A fan yelled behind me half way through the second period, " That is some ugly Kraken hockey" One fan up front responded "No, that's some really ugly Kraken hockey" Generally, fans are getting upset with the play and though they didn't boo like at the Islander game, it's not trending good. Two fans separately on the monorail spoke of not renewing their tickets next season. Yes, it's an expansion team and NHL hockey is new to Seattle but the fans know they deserve a better coached team and better play on the ice as well . It's a trend that must change and that starts
with an active trade plan to improve the future roster.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I feel fairly confident that Gio wouldn't re-sign with Seattle. Either to sign discounted in Calgary or to sign with a contender (discounted of course). If you're chasing a cup... and you're 39, you gotta be more selective. Jarnkrok is a question mark. I figure he'll get close to his current deal as that's pretty spot on for his value. The question is, where? I could see Seattle picking him back up at free agency, but I don't think it'll happen unless he's SUPER happy in Seattle. The others frankly, I'd be surprised if they didn't move to other teams, unless they get signed around what they are making now. Sheahan could be fine on another 1 year deal, same with Blackwell. Johansson though. He's improving and really putting in the effort lately. However, 1.5m... not sure.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

1. Coaching is a major problem for this team and will continue to be until it is addressed. It's a broken record but what do the
Kraken actually stand for? It certainly isn't speed , a 200 foot game, a physical game, a creative game, a cycle offense attack, dump and
chase, etc. Actually, the team has regressed in positioning and passing as the season has gone on. The Kraken and the Bruins were tied
going into the third. Boston was playing its first game of a west coast trip. Eastern time zone should have played a role in the third.
So what happens, the Kraken play conservatively, slow, almost like they wanted a tie. Three times in the third , two by Dunn, the player behind the net waited with the puck for a line change delaying moving up ice. Dunn tried twice to execute a 110 foot pass from right next to Gru trying to get a brake away. Seriously twice? Time is ticking down and their delaying action and then trying a hail Mary pass. Crazy. Could the team actually come out in the third and check and physically set the tone? Does GMRF and Hakstol want a top three pick? They didn't want the win, they didn't play for the win, and they lost in OT which they should have. Further, continued high sticking is non disciplined hockey of which the Kraken did execute that all game.

2. Seriously, there wasn't a player on the ice that shouldn't be looked at to upgrade or trade. Yes, Gio and Eberle had great moments, but neither of them should be in the Kraken long term plans. The only way this team gets significantly better is through the draft. If they get lucky and land a few prospects that become elite, they will improve faster. Otherwise, expect at least till 2025/26 till they are competitive. Moving on from Hakstol would also help the team along. Scary scenario is just how much damage he is doing to the the younger players presently on the roster. Coaching is that bad. If he was relieved, who would hire him? Lets hope GMRF can load up on draft picks leading up to the trade deadline. It will be a very telling time for Ron and the future of the franchise.

3. Negative Trends. Lots of open seats last night mid ice in the lower bowl. Tickets could be had really cheap. There was a good section of Bruin fans behind the Kraken net that actually led the chants a few times. . Not that many people drinking at the game. That might be the high cost at the arena, but certainly not the festive atmosphere as prior games. No doubt there were some negative comments. A fan yelled behind me half way through the second period, " That is some ugly Kraken hockey" One fan up front responded "No, that's some really ugly Kraken hockey" Generally, fans are getting upset with the play and though they didn't boo like at the Islander game, it's not trending good. Two fans separately on the monorail spoke of not renewing their tickets next season. Yes, it's an expansion team and NHL hockey is new to Seattle but the fans know they deserve a better coached team and better play on the ice as well . It's a trend that must change and that starts

On the last part regarding empty seats... don't think anything of this. That's pretty typical of expensive seats to be bought up by business and not sold on the secondary market.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Coaching is undoubtedly a problem on this team. I was willing to give Hakstol a pass but the way this season has gone, I dont see his style/approach getting any better. I doubt they fire him during this season but I hope Francis takes a good hard look during this off-season and reevaluates that situation. If Hakstol does end up coming back next season, I really hope he is on a short leash because all he is doing is holding the team back.

Like @The Marquis said, I don't think the ticket situation is that big of a deal. Seattle has some pretty rabid sports fans who stay loyal through thick or thin. While I do expect some folks to cancel their season tickets, I am pretty certain that there will be 2 for every one that cancels ready to sign up for them. It is obviously not sustainable over time but I do not think 1-2 bad seasons will hurt us in the long run as long as the team shows some signs of improving which I expect it will with the injection of our drafted players.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
On the attendance issue last night, I don't think it should set off any alarms.

It was a sell out obviously, and we are still in a pandemic. Add that there were freeze warnings, it had just snowed, and it was a mid-week game.

I am really not at all surprised people decided to stay in and skip that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00