GDT: Game 53: Red Wings at canucks 10:00 pm et 2/15/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Can we ever load Petry into the Trebuchet?

Florida
Boston
Tampa
Toronto

Our division is stupid and I hate it

Doesn't really matter. We aren't anywhere close to good enough against good teams. Our overall lack of talent is on full display most of the time when we run across the really good teams.

Seider a -3 tonight. -4 in Edmonton. He’s really starting to regress.

Don't be an idiot. He was doing the right thing on all 3 goals against tonight.

Reactions: sepster

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
That sucked. On the bright side, this absolutely brutal stretch is mostly behind us - looking at remaining games, Wings should have it a bit easier than the teams they're competing with (now they just have to beat the teams they should beat ... easy right?)

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Doesn't really matter. We aren't anywhere close to good enough against good teams. Our overall lack of talent is on full display most of the time when we run across the really good teams.
Seeing Petry with a boneheaded giveaway pass to JT Miller when he has almost a whole empty zone to work with pretty much exemplifies where the weakness in the roster is. We have one true NHL quality defensive pair. Our goalie can never have an off night because our defense sucks.

Reactions: 14ari13

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Please don’t fall for this clickbait

This doesn't confirm the league warning, but between Cole saying, "our guys are upset about that, they think it's disrespectful and they have a right to feel that way," and the taunting in-game, there may have been a little more to this situation then most here have been willing to admit.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Pretty boring game to watch even with all of the PPs. Someone needs to tell Larkin that the all-star break is over. Is he sick or injured? It is very possible that this team is actually better without Kane (and not because of anything Kane does or does not do). I am not sure I trust Van in the playoffs.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pretty boring game to watch even with all of the PPs. Someone needs to tell Larkin that the all-star break is over. Is he sick or injured? It is very possible that this team is actually better without Kane (and not because of anything Kane does or does not do). I am not sure I trust Van in the playoffs.
Are you talking about because of how much everyone forces him the puck… or what?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Are you talking about because of how much everyone forces him the puck… or what?
That is a big part of it. They clearly defer to him too much both on the PP and at even strength. After giving him the puck they stop working which is awful to watch. I also think we just play harder without him for some reason I can't really explain.

Reactions: 14ari13

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That is a big part of it. They clearly defer to him too much both on the PP and at even strength. After giving him the puck they stop working which is awful to watch. I also think we just play harder without him for some reason I can't really explain.
I was thinking I would like to bring back one of Kane or Sprong, but probably not both.

Maybe Sprong is the better option. We could then possibly sign a top 6 guy in free agency like Toffoli or Teravainen.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Didn't watch the game. How did Kostin do, and is his time up soon? I think he should be waived.
Why? He is a fourth liner. Anyone you replace him with will also be a fourth liner (just with a different name).

Honestly I thought he played fine, but didn't play a ton obviously.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I was thinking I would like to bring back one of Kane or Sprong, but probably not both.

Maybe Sprong is the better option. We could then possibly sign a top 6 guy in free agency like Toffoli or Teravainen.
Would rather move forward with the guy who is just under PPG. Kane is more productive in the one area that Sprong excels. We could still sign one of those guys if we move forward with Kane.

Reactions: jkutswings

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

For me it's these pairings. One of Kane or Perron, not both. One of Sprong or Fabbri, not both.

Reactions: saska sault

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

This doesn't confirm the league warning, but between Cole saying, "our guys are upset about that, they think it's disrespectful and they have a right to feel that way," and the taunting in-game, there may have been a little more to this situation then most here have been willing to admit.

honestly seeing the replay it looks like Walman did a "shhh" motion before the Griddy.

I can understand fans being upset but if the Canucks players are actually hung about that from a bubble playoff team in the other conference, good luck in the postseason with those fragile egos!

Truly though I think it's much ado about nothing, stemming from an offhanded comment by Friedman that got misrepresented.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Why? He is a fourth liner. Anyone you replace him with will also be a fourth liner (just with a different name).

We have our energy/checking line in Copp-Ras-Fischer.

Bring up Berggren instead to provide more offense when a forward is out. Kostin is only playing because Fabbri is out, and Berggren is a better replacement imo

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Would rather move forward with the guy who is just under PPG. Kane is more productive in the one area that Sprong excels. We could still sign one of those guys if we move forward with Kane.

Ultimately Kane is gonna write his own ticket. He's shown he's still a vaulable asset in the NHL so it's gonna come down to if he wants to stay in Detroit, how much he wants to get paid, or if he wants to take another run at the Cup.

If they re-sign Sprong they need to put in a clause that if he's in the slot and tries to make a pass like he did last night, he gets docked pay.

Reactions: jkutswings

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Ultimately Kane is gonna write his own ticket. He's shown he's still a vaulable asset in the NHL so it's gonna come down to if he wants to stay in Detroit, how much he wants to get paid, or if he wants to take another run at the Cup.

If they re-sign Sprong they need to put in a clause that if he's in the slot and tries to make a pass like he did last night, he gets docked pay.
Yeah, I really don't understand when a one trick pony like Sprong decides to abandon that one trick.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004

I want to like Kostin but honestly have been disappointed overall. He has inconsistent effort and for a 4th liner doesn't make his presence known that often physically.

He had a great hit last night but it's one of the few ones I can remember from the season. I dont know if he just doesn't have the speed to keep up with the play or what.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad