GDT: Game 53: New York Islanders (18-20-7) @ Seattle Kraken (16-32-4) - 7:00 p.m. PT / 10:00 p.m. ET

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Forget about Berniers. Francis needs to be in on Meyers and Livingston as NCAA free agents. He needs to start getting some free assets. Not sure who on the CHL side would be a good signing but those kids are more likely will be going to the AHL.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
They might make an agreement to burn off a year to entice him to sign instead of going back to college, that is what RCH is alluding to. It has been done many times, for example Johnny Gaudreau, but Johnny only had to play one game to burn a year off because he signed when he was 20.

You are correct in that Beniers would have to play at least 9 games since he is 19. I haven't looked at the schedule to see if that's even possible if Michigan winds up in the NCAA finals.

I think Beniers will fall into the exempt catagory for the ELC slide, because although he will technically be 19 on Sept 15 this year, he will turn 20 between then and Dec. 31. which means that his signing date would be counted as if he were 20.

Which is unfortunate.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
successfully sold the games I couldn't attend, often to fans of the visiting team, which completely refutes your original point which you seem to have forgotten.

Perhaps you should change your handle to "Butthurt"?
That's what I said in my original post is that the only people throwing new money to watch games are fans of the opposing team..... then you came after me saying I was wrong. Yet you keep backing up my assertion which is why I'm laughing at your reading comprehension.

You seem to be the one that's butt hurt, and you're the one who started the attack, lol.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think Beniers will fall into the exempt catagory for the ELC slide, because although he will technically be 19 on Sept 15 this year, he will turn 20 between then and Dec. 31. which means that his signing date would be counted as if he were 20.

Which is unfortunate.
Ooops yeah, I read that wrong. He is not eligible for a slide at all.

From NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

"An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide."

So that means even one game burns a year, right?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Ooops yeah, I read that wrong. He is not eligible for a slide at all.

From NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

"An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide."

If the contract were to be signed this season, wouldn't Beniers have been 18 at that time? i.e the first year of contract would be 21-22 and Beniers would only have been 18 on September 15, 2021.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If the contract were to be signed this season, wouldn't Beniers have been 18 at that time? i.e the first year of contract would be 21-22 and Beniers would only have been 18 on September 15, 2021.
The actual CBA seems to contradict Capfriendly:

9.2 Age of Players. As used in this Article, "age," including "First SPC Signing Age," means a Player's age on September 15 of the calendar year in which he signs an SPC, regardless of his actual age on the date he signs such SPC.​

Note the CBA specifies that it's the calendar year in which he signs, so when the season starts has no bearing. The CBA seems to indicate he gets treated as 19 YO based on his Nov birthday, and that is how I originally interpreted all of this.

Then I read Capfriendly and got confused, lol. I'll let you guys decide based on the CBA language.

Note: SPC means Standard Player's Contract, an ELC is considered a SPC.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

I should mean the year he signs the contract, (this year, 2022) he would have to be 18 or 19 on Sept. 16 to be eligible, (which he would be), but if he turns 20 between sept 16 and Dec. 31, he would not be eligible.

Stupid typical lawyer language of the CBA, instead of just saying 19 on Dec. 31st.

I swear, that document is so full of both sides trying to convolute the thing to confuse the other that half the time reading it you need to diagram the details to keep track of what they are trying to say.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I should mean the year he signs the contract, (this year, 2022) he would have to be 18 or 19 on Sept. 16 to be eligible, (which he would be), but if he turns 20 between sept 16 and Dec. 31, he would not be eligible.

Stupid typical lawyer language of the CBA, instead of just saying 19 on Dec. 31st.

I swear, that document is so full of both sides trying to convolute the thing to confuse the other that half the time reading it you need to diagram the details to keep track of what they are trying to say.
That is not how I interpret the CBA, it states age on Sept 15th of the signing year. That would mean 19 for Beniers. I posted the CBA above.

I think Capfriendly is just badly worded (or just wrong), the CBA actually makes it clearer.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
That is not how I interpret the CBA, it states age on Sept 15th of the signing year. That would mean 19 for Beniers. I posted the CBA above.

I think Capfriendly is just badly worded (or just wrong), the CBA actually makes it clearer.
I think it is actually Dec. 31. That is why Hughes burned a year of his ELC only playing 5 games too whie born in October.

There are other examples. The exclusion part is probably in a different section knowing the cba :laugh:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think it is actually Dec. 31. That is why Hughes burned a year of his ELC only playing 5 games too whie born in October.

There are other examples. The exclusion part is probably in a different section knowing the cba :laugh:
Could be, but I can't find it. Plus it would just make more sense to reword the original clause to Dec 31st of calendar year.... But it's all lawyer talk and I think they get paid by the word.

And you are correct about Quinn, he did not slide. Using that as an example, then the number of games doesn't matter.

And if the number of games doesn't matter then you would expect Beniers to play as many games as possible just so the fans have something to watch.

CapFriendly

Mar 13, 2020

I can assure you our understanding of entry-level age and slides is not wrong. Entry-level age is their age on Sept 15, unless they turn 20 between Sep 16 and Dec 31, in which case their el age is 20.

As for entry-level slides, the only thing that matters if they are slide eligible is games played.

Hughes is an entry-level age of 20, he was never eligible for a slide. You are correct that Beniers would also be an el age 20 and ineligible to slide.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I can assure you our understanding of entry-level age and slides is not wrong. Entry-level age is their age on Sept 15, unless they turn 20 between Sep 16 and Dec 31, in which case their el age is 20.

As for entry-level slides, the only thing that matters if they are slide eligible is games played.

Hughes is an entry-level age of 20, he was never eligible for a slide. You are correct that Beniers would also be an el age 20 and ineligible to slide.
Thanks for the reply, I just couldn't find the CBA clause for that exception.

Basically if he plays this season he burns a year. That's all we needed to know.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Sometimes a gd ninja comes up in yo s*** and lays the smacketh downeth. That happened here tonight. We learned.

Yeah, unfortunately.

I have been wrong plenty of times in my predictions or remember things incorrectly on these boards, but this may be the only time I was actively praying that I was wrong and sad when I found out I was right. :laugh:

Reactions: The Marquis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad