Game 53: Flyers stink

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
That power play's soooooooooo baaaaaad.

You're up by two against a bad team with a bit over four minutes left, you get a power play and all of a sudden they're back in the game while you can't even get over the opposing teams blueline.

At least they got the win but there the special teams are going to cost us big time.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
I watched the last 7 minutes and Beniers looked like a terrible rookie, 3 mistakes in like 2 minutes, woof, shades of Sergachev.

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
Yeah. I am guessing the ice is pretty bad there.
Bad ice at the Garden and one of the other New York games as well.

Jesus, Grubauer! EDIT: Larsson, too.
No excuse for Lars and Grub being asleep at the wheel on that short handed goal, none. If they don’t score their Matty doesn’t have to sacrifice his knee blocking the last shot.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Bad ice at the Garden and one of the other New York games as well.

No excuse for Lars and Grub being asleep at the wheel on that short handed goal, none. If they don’t score their Matty doesn’t have to sacrifice his knee blocking the last shot.

Wasn't Dunn screening Grubauer for no good reason?

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Anyone notice Schwartz' pinky finger on left hand? They should make slashing on the hands a 5 minute major and a Game Misconduct

That power play's soooooooooo baaaaaad.

You're up by two against a bad team with a bit over four minutes left, you get a power play and all of a sudden they're back in the game while you can't even get over the opposing teams blueline.

At least they got the win but there the special teams are going to cost us big time.
They got to get Sprong going on the PP again especially on the Left side

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Anyone notice Schwartz' pinky finger on left hand? They should make slashing on the hands a 5 minute major and a Game Misconduct

They got to get Sprong going on the PP again especially on the Left side

Sprong couldn't even skate straight forward today and always made the wrong decision.

Overall I think the pp needs a complete overhaul and more options than just 1-3-1, pass it to the side and hope the shot goes through.

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
Wasn't Dunn screening Grubauer for no good reason?
I’m sorry it wasn’t Lars it was Dunn. Watch the slow motion replay Gru should have stopped it, he wasn’t expecting a shot and looked like he wasn’t screened much by Dunn. He could have been distracted by Dunn, but didn’t look like he was screened much.

Not trying to start a fight here, but in your opinion has Gru ever given up a goal that wasn’t someone else’s fault?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I’m sorry it wasn’t Lars it was Dunn. Watch the slow motion replay Gru should have stopped it, he wasn’t expecting a shot and looked like he wasn’t screened much by Dunn. He could have been distracted by Dunn, but didn’t look like he was screened much.

Not trying to start a fight here, but in your opinion has Gru ever given up a goal that wasn’t someone else’s fault?

Quite a few of them.

Gotta be a bit of nuance given that the Kraken might be good at taking away shots, but are not great at preventing high danger chances(this one doesn't qualify as high danger, of course).

Something that can bee seen in the advanced stats where both goalies are a plus but still can't get to a .900 SV% while facing a pretty low amount of shots compared to the rest of the league.

Last edited:

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
Quite a few of them.
But isn this a bit passive aggressive?

Gotta be a bit of nuance given that the Kraken might be good at taking away shots, but are not great at preventing high danger chances(this one doesn't qualify as high danger, of course).

Something that can bee seen in the advanced stats where both goalies are a plus but still can't get to a .900 SV% while facing a pretty low amount of shots compared to the rest of the league.
I must have missed those times. My bad, if so.

Agree about not having a goalie @ the .900 SV% level.

I’m a fan of Jones but he hasn’t been good lately.

I think the goaltending situation needs to be improved in the off-season.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Quite a few of them.
But isn this a bit passive aggressive?

I honestly don't know what is the real cause here but here are are some more numbers.

Kraken 2021-22

High danger chances against: Tied for 7th best with 689
High danger SV%: 3rd worst in the league with .786

Kraken 2022-23

High danger chances against: Middle of the pack, 14th worst with 494
High danger SV%: 8th worst in the league with .812

So we are on paper giving up more high danger chances this season but our goaltending is better.

I have no idea what this really means other than being confusing .. :D

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
The shortie happened because of the bad ice in the neutral zone. Puck was coming down, sticks a landing, and bounces backwards right to Brown's stick. At that moment, I think all our guys thought they were watching magic tricks and got out of sorts.

It did seem like we took our foot off the gas in the 3rd...

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Apart from Vegas it feels like the other teams around us have had some stumbles too. If we can pick up our form after that win we should be in good shape. This 5 game trip always looked brutal on paper. Next 4 games look winnable depending on what Winnipeg show up

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I must have missed those times. My bad, if so.

Agree about not having a goalie @ the .900 SV% level.

I’m a fan of Jones but he hasn’t been good lately.

I think the goaltending situation needs to be improved in the off-season.

Well, there are those times were I've clearly stated what I'm telling you now again and that's that we don't have a #1 NHL level goalie and that Francis, despite being criticised mostly for the expansion draft, probably made his biggest mistake by signing Grubauer instead of going with the guys he took in the expansion draft.

But of course hindsight's 20/20.

I would love to improve the goaltending position in the offseason but I doubt there'll be too much happening because you still can't trade Grubuaer without giving up assets you'd rather keept.
And buying him out also isn't an option.

BTW; I was asking about Dunne because

1) I didn't know what the hell he was doing there going so close to his goalie(potentially screening him) with no Flyers player anywhere near the goal.

and

2) Because it was brought up on the broadcast while their footage didn't show what completely happend.

Though, if Dunn didn't touch it(which was brought up on the broadcast and I didn't really see a clear angle before turning it off) it's a bad goal.

Reactions: Toomany7pins

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Well, there are those times were I've clearly stated what I'm telling you now again and that's that we don't have a #1 NHL level goalie and that Francis, despite being criticised mostly for the expansion draft, probably made his biggest mistake by signing Grubauer instead of going with the guys he took in the expansion draft.

I would love to improve the goaltending position in the offseason but I doubt there'll be too much happening because you still can't trade Grubuaer without giving up assets you'd rather keept.

1) I didn't know what the hell he was doing there going so close to his goalie(potentially screening him) with no Flyers player anywhere near the goal.

and

2) Because it was brought up on the broadcast while their footage didn't show what completely happend.

Though, if Dunn didn't touch it(which was brought up on the broadcast and I didn't really see a clear angle before turning it off) it's a bad goal.
You so high bruh!

Not rly. I agree about Dunn on that goal that inevitably doesn’t matter because 2 pts. But you’re not wrong.

That goal was on Gru. Period. He should have had a bead on it. It was easy. I’ve been playing the position for 3 seasons and I’m fairly certain that I save that shot (at a contextual speed) 95% of the time. Silly stuff to let happen. I’ve got guts playing in front of me with very minimal skill, and they get in my way. Gru should have saved that shot. I’m just glad it didn’t matter.

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area

and

Agree with most of what you said.

The contracts will of Gru and CD were mistakes, that will hinder the present and the near future.

Hopefully the goaltending exceeds my expectations.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Agree with most of what you said.

The contracts will of Gru and CD were mistakes, that will hinder the present and the near future.

Hopefully the goaltending exceeds my expectations.
I wouldn't say CD's contract was a mistake at that time. Sure, he was unproven, but he was promising in Florida. Unfortunately, he had been beset by injuries ever since joining us.

I don't think signing Gru was that bad at that time. I did prefer rolling with Driedger/Vanecek but Gru was "proven". The premise around that appeared to be that we were a defense-first team relying on our D and goaltending. On paper Gio, Larsson, Oleksiak, Dunn, Borgen, etc. was a good D unit with depth. I think Francis hoped to compliment them with "good" goaltending support.

Unfortunately, the D was not much better than a sieve, and the goalies were left out to dry. Makes the Gru signing much worse than it really was.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I wouldn't say CD's contract was a mistake at that time. Sure, he was unproven, but he was promising in Florida. Unfortunately, he had been beset by injuries ever since joining us.

I don't think signing Gru was that bad at that time. I did prefer rolling with Driedger/Vanecek but Gru was "proven". The premise around that appeared to be that we were a defense-first team relying on our D and goaltending. On paper Gio, Larsson, Oleksiak, Dunn, Borgen, etc. was a good D unit with depth. I think Francis hoped to compliment them with "good" goaltending support.

Unfortunately, the D was not much better than a sieve, and the goalies were left out to dry. Makes the Gru signing much worse than it really was.

I can't recall anyone being all that critical or anything close to that(including myself) the moment we signed Grubauer.

At the end of the day hindsight's 20/20 but looking at things right now it seems like rolling the dice with Driedger/Vanecek/D'Accord would've been the right thing to do.

Cause even if none of them would've worked the only guy(contract) that would've been left after last season would have been Driedger at $3.5M.

Though, it is what it is and maybe Grubauer is able to have more of those 2023 performances(besides Philly) in the future.
I mean, in those seven starts he's still 3-2-2 with a .930 SV% and 2.00 GAA.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I can't recall anyone being all that critical or anything close to that(including myself) the moment we signed Grubauer.

At the end of the day hindsight's 20/20 but looking at things right now it seems like rolling the dice with Driedger/Vanecek/D'Accord would've been the right thing to do.

Cause even if none of them would've worked the only guy(contract) that would've been left after last season would have been Driedger at $3.5M.

Though, it is what it is and maybe Grubauer is able to have more of those 2023 performances(besides Philly) in the future.
I mean, in those seven starts he's still 3-2-2 with a .930 SV% and 2.00 GAA.
Its promising to see him bounce back. A few more performances like this can only help his confidence. And I expect the team getting better will only help him more.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Grubauer didn't have much help, but he also just wasn't very good last year. He's recently turned that around in a very big way. Hope the new Gru stays around for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad