GDT: Game 53: Columbus vs. Philadelphia | 2/13 7PM EST

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Prize? No, but there are benefits to a young team learning to continue playing hard right down to the wire, as well as positive momentum to take into the offseason and optimism to carry into the next year. Yes, no doubt it would be of great benefit to add one of the top two picks, but that's neither something to plan for, nor a reasonable strategy for development. If it happens, it's good fortune made from disaster. If it doesn't, then there are plenty of lesser talents available in the draft who can help move the CBJ forward. I have confidence in this front office to make the best of the situation, whichever way it goes.

Well said, Pete.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Prize? No, but there are benefits to a young team learning to continue playing hard right down to the wire, as well as positive momentum to take into the offseason and optimism to carry into the next year. Yes, no doubt it would be of great benefit to add one of the top two picks, but that's neither something to plan for, nor a reasonable strategy for development. If it happens, it's good fortune made from disaster. If it doesn't, then there are plenty of lesser talents available in the draft who can help move the CBJ forward. I have confidence in this front office to make the best of the situation, whichever way it goes.

I don't disagree with your thought process but, I feel like we've already been down this road before (2/3 seasons ago) and gained that experience.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I've said it before and I'll say it again 5 or 6 losses could make the difference between picking top 5 and 12th. Those games, if lost, will not scar this team for life.

silver89

Nov 25, 2013
Sweden
I've said it before and I'll say it again 5 or 6 losses could make the difference between picking top 5 and 12th. Those games, if lost, will not scar this team for life.

I'm not gonna root for them to lose. And I doubt the players give a **** about draft position.
8 points is fairly doable.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
if winning meaningless games somehow helps a team "grow" then I would love for anyone to explain to me why this team is outside looking in again.
The CBJ franchise more times than not gets off to a terrible start and gets itself out of the playoffs by January, then in February they seem to always play well enough to make sure we're picking 5th-12th instead of getting a better pick.
Again I don't think there is any correlation between playing well in meaning less games and having future success. I've seen that too many times - we (fans) get over excited because we play like a playoff team for the last 25 games then are shocked when we fall flat the next year.

Also to be clear - I know injuries have been a huge part of this season, and I do think we have a better core of players than any other year BUT I'm just disputing that playing well in meaningless games have any positive impact on future success.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
if winning meaningless games somehow helps a team "grow" then I would love for anyone to explain to me why this team is outside looking in again.
The CBJ franchise more times than not gets off to a terrible start and gets itself out of the playoffs by January, then in February they seem to always play well enough to make sure we're picking 5th-12th instead of getting a better pick.
Again I don't think there is any correlation between playing well in meaning less games and having future success. I've seen that too many times - we (fans) get over excited because we play like a playoff team for the last 25 games then are shocked when we fall flat the next year.

Also to be clear - I know injuries have been a huge part of this season, and I do think we have a better core of players than any other year BUT I'm just disputing that playing well in meaningless games have any positive impact on future success.

Agree 100%

thebus2288*

Arty should've read that better.

Wiz is king at making sure his goaltender is alert.

He's been much better this season. I don't see a chronic issue.

So I didn't see the game. Glad to see Boll, Atkinson and Arty score. Gotta get that trade value up. And I see the comment bout Anisimov reading "that" wrong. I'm assuming you mean the 1st goal.

Did you see what the defensemen on the right side did?!?!? Talk about reading thngs wrong, holy ****.

And no it wasn't David Savard.

Oh now on too goal number 2. Guess who it is again. Nope not Savard. Highest paid D man again. Who needs to tie up sticks up front when you can just point for other guys to know where to go. Hey Wiz, YOU don't know where the **** to be or what to do on the ice so why should guys think its a good idea to listen to you??

Last edited by a moderator:

thebus2288*

I don't smoke chronic I smoke that Wiz boy

Who made the perfect "breakout" bank pass off the boards that led to Atkinson's tying goal. I must be smoking too much Wiz cuz my eyes be playing tricks on me....

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Did you see what the defensemen on the right side did?!?!? Talk about reading thngs wrong, holy ****.

At 1:20 left in the third? If so that was Savard. Played that back 3 or 4 times last night.

As far as you crapping on Wiz, he's been more consistent that most of our D this year. I wouldn't say that the 2nd goal was more grievous than the breakaway given up by Savard late in the game; especially since Wiz took a high stick that was missed. Shouldn't have been a goal. Did he play it perfect? No. But it wasn't a grievous mistake. Wiz is slotted properly; Savard isn't.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Moving from drafting 6th to 11th is also not going to scar this team for life.

You have determined which standards you're using to state that the games are meaningless.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

Nailed-It.png

Beautifully put, Pete. I agree 100%

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
So I didn't see the game. Glad to see Boll, Atkinson and Arty score. Gotta get that trade value up. And I see the comment bout Anisimov reading "that" wrong. I'm assuming you mean the 1st goal.

Oh now on too goal number 2. Guess who it is again. Nope not Savard. Highest paid D man again. Who needs to tie up sticks up front when you can just point for other guys to know where to go. Hey Wiz, YOU don't know where the **** to be or what to do on the ice so why should guys think its a good idea to listen to you??

The bad change was established. Arty was third forward high there and went over to Wiz's check on the boards instead of staying in middle where Simmonds received the pass and had nothing but free ice to get to the net. Arty wasn't at fault for the beginning of the play, but was for the ending.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

True but statistically each spot down means a lesser chance of getting a guy as good. This year it may not matter as much due to the supposed depth of the draft. The other thing to consider is each spot down lowers the chance at winning the lottery. And if McDavid is as good as everyone says he is I'd like as much chance as possible of drafting him.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
True but statistically each spot down means a lesser chance of getting a guy as good. This year it may not matter as much due to the supposed depth of the draft. The other thing to consider is each spot down lowers the chance at winning the lottery. And if McDavid is as good as everyone says he is I'd like as much chance as possible of drafting him.

I'm not opposed to the idea of drafting McDavid for sure. As I posted earlier, there are pluses and minuses to each win and each loss. But the "won't scar for life" rationale is bunk unless you apply it in both directions.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus

How many times as CBJ fans have we heard or thought this through the years though? It is correct, but in practice we just don't seem to capitalize on it and move forward.

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
Only thing I don't agree with is McElhinney starting. Islanders are by far the superior team, so keep C-Mac fresh for that one.
This a very winable game. Why not give Forsberg a chance in this one? It seems like HCTR loves to do the complete opposite of whatever seems logical.
Post on the first page this thread. I agree absolutely with this and was very surprised that decision Richards.
I always find myself wondering how guys like that have job on NHL coaching stuffs making decisions like that.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

You have determined which standards you're using to state that the games are meaningless.

Drafting 6th you're correct but what about drafting top 3 vs. 8th-11th. lot more franchise changing draft picks occur in those top 3 spots than in lower spots. Yes there are exceptions and busts but there is no use in being slightly below average in the NHL, you either are terrible or average. That is what IDWT never got he would tinker with the lineup just enough to make us a 12th place team rather than biting the bullet and saying "we are rebuilding".

Yeah it's an easy determination - look up the NHL standings. if you're 12 points out but you're in 9th place it's much different than being 12 points out having to climb over 4 teams to get in. So it's a combination of standings (how many teams to climb over) and points out and game in hand/remaining.
if you're determination for being "in the hunt" is winning 75% of remaining games then hoping 5 other teams (above you in the standings) play just at a point per game, then you're not in the race.
Sorry I know mathematically you'll say we're still in it and you're right, but there was a chance I was going to win the Powerball last week, that didn't mean I was going to cash out my investments and buy as many tickets as possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad