Phoenix
Mediocrity-Green-Road-Sig-008.jpg

7:30 PM
FS-AZ

Lines Brought to You By:| http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/
cItmzTT.png
|
pzGQ2mf.png

For some reason the whole "next 20 games" rallying cry annoys me even though I'd rather them win than lose. Fake narratives bug me I guess.

The real narrative is can we stop this losing streak (or at least stop giving up 4+ goals.) If this streak hits 5 games I think the tailspin is in full swing and it will be a rough couple months. We're probably already toast in the Pacific anyway given how Anaheim is playing. But if we can't beat Vancouver on the tail end of a back to back at home that will be the final nail.

/commentary​

Last edited:

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Would love to see a win here. If it does hit five I think it's time to do what rt has made popular around here.

Fire everyone, trade everyone

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
Ok I predict that we will give up 0 goals to Anneheim, Too bad we don't play them. I predict we will beat Vancouver 8-7 in a 20 round shootout. I will be at least right on one count. Go Yotes and **** the Kings

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
10 games before Feb 29 1PM (AZ) deadline. Currently sit at 8th worst in the league. If we want any shot at being in the playoffs we need to win 7 out of these 10 games.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Bank on the Tank boys, it's Lose for Matthews time. Don't fight it, embrace it.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Can you talk about the importance you put on winning faceoffs?
Yeah, uhh ... I'm a center ... so I ... uhh, I take faceoffs ... and they're important.

Our media might be the one thing more mediocre than our team this year.

Looking at the Yotes stat sheet, winning faceoffs frequently does not lead to winning games. Most games we win the faceoff battle, yet lose many of those games. Of course, you could argue we would lose by more goals had we not won all those faceoffs, but for me there are much more important things Gaudet needs to do for this team to win.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Looking at the Yotes stat sheet, winning faceoffs frequently does not lead to winning games. Most games we win the faceoff battle, yet lose many of those games. Of course, you could argue we would lose by more goals had we not won all those faceoffs, but for me there are much more important things Gaudet needs to do for this team to win.

Different players, different roles. Gaudet is here for FO's and PK. Any scoring is a bonus.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Really? That's you answer to a rebuilding team?:facepalm:

I wouldn't trade everyone. I wouldn't fire everyone.

I'd trade Doan (if he wants to have a run and come back in the Summer), and Boedker(if he won't take 5x5), and Grossmann(if we can get a late pick) and Gordon(if we can get a late pick). I'd retain salary and take on expiring cap-dumps if that maximizes value.

I'd go ahead a fire Dave Tippett and Jim Playfair. Tippett isn't the right fit for where we are (youth movement) nor where we are heading (offensively focused, run and gun team). He's a fine coach and will continue to have slightly above average results for some other team, but it's time for him to go. The blueline has declined sharply since Playfair as taken the reigns and there is no sign of improvement. I just don't think he's any good at his job. There's nothing to suggest he is, anyway. Newell Brown can have a stay of execution. He's at least show SOMETHING at SOME point. More than can be said for Playfair. Ulf Samuelsson can have the job, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not thrilled with Maloney. I'm not thrilled with other options, either. We need to trade and draft well right now. UFA isn't as important. As a result, maybe he's not the worst fit for the time being. Oddly, if the team manages to take a meaningful step forward next season, that's when I'd be more likely to fire Maloney. He can sell and draft alright. He sucks at retaining free agents, he sucks at signing UFAs and he's bad at being a buyer on the trade market.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I'd trade Doan (if he wants to have a run and come back in the Summer), and Boedker(if he won't take 5x5), and Grossmann(if we can get a late pick) and Gordon(if we can get a late pick). I'd retain salary and take on expiring cap-dumps if that maximizes value.

I'd go ahead a fire Dave Tippett and Jim Playfair. Tippett isn't the right fit for where we are (youth movement) nor where we are heading (offensively focused, run and gun team). He's a fine coach and will continue to have slightly above average results for some other team, but it's time for him to go. The blueline has declined sharply since Playfair as taken the reigns and there is no sign of improvement. I just don't think he's any good at his job. There's nothing to suggest he is, anyway. Newell Brown can have a stay of execution. He's at least show SOMETHING at SOME point. More than can be said for Playfair. Ulf Samuelsson can have the job, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not thrilled with Maloney. I'm not thrilled with other options, either. We need to trade and draft well right now. UFA isn't as important. As a result, maybe he's not the worst fit for the time being. Oddly, if the team manages to take a meaningful step forward next season, that's when I'd be more likely to fire Maloney. He can sell and draft alright. He sucks at retaining free agents, he sucks at signing UFAs and he's bad at being a buyer on the trade market.

Your first two paragraphs make sense, the last two are ridiculous.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm looking for a big game from Marty Hanzal. He's been too quiet since his return (save for his stupidity last game). Fortunately, he has a strong history of performing well vs. the Canucks.

Hanzal has just 1g 3a in his last 13 games.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It is, apparently, Canada Day at the arena tonight.

Not sure if that means discounts on Smoke's Poutine or if they're just going to play a lot of Rush on the PA system (we can always hope). :sarcasm:

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Bank on the Tank boys, it's Lose for Matthews time. Don't fight it, embrace it.

Never.

Tank supporters should be obligated to spend the next two months living in a trailer in Apache Junction and commute to all remaining home games solo. With toothpicks to force their eyes open.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Doan doesn't want to play any where else, he has made that clear. Unless we have zero chance of reaching the playoffs at the TDL, trading Grossman/Gordon for late picks makes zero sense. Late picks are pretty much worthless anyway. Bods I agree, he signs or we trade him. we can get a first and prospect for him, decent assets.

I still don't get the hate for Tip. The team has way over performed this year so far and Tip is playing young guys. I know DM decides on the roster but Tip decides on the minutes, young guys are getting plenty. Run and gun sound great, except for our offense is already producing and run and gun doesn't win in the NHL, it is, and always has been about D and goal tending. Offensive minded sounds good too, except for, we need D men that can retrieve a puck and make a first pass to start the offense.

DM has made 2 mistakes, Ribs/Smith, but mostly decent to good deal otherwise. Again, we don't know what budget/ownership issues he is dealing with that tie his hands sometimes. Our future looks bright though, and he has certainly not been horrible.

The Playfair criticism might be fair but maybe not. Realistically, we have a 1D, no 2D or 3D, 2 4D's (Stone/Murphy), a 5/6D combo of Grossman/Z, 3 7D's that might be 5/6 D's in Kconn/Dahlback/Tinordi. Playfair needs to be Houdini with that D core to play well or we have to have LD/Smith play lights out. This is a lot to ask.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Doan doesn't want to play any where else, he has made that clear. Unless we have zero chance of reaching the playoffs at the TDL, trading Grossman/Gordon for late picks makes zero sense. Late picks are pretty much worthless anyway. Bods I agree, he signs or we trade him. we can get a first and prospect for him, decent assets.

I still don't get the hate for Tip. The team has way over performed this year so far and Tip is playing young guys. I know DM decides on the roster but Tip decides on the minutes, young guys are getting plenty. Run and gun sound great, except for our offense is already producing and run and gun doesn't win in the NHL, it is, and always has been about D and goal tending. Offensive minded sounds good too, except for, we need D men that can retrieve a puck and make a first pass to start the offense.

DM has made 2 mistakes, Ribs/Smith, but mostly decent to good deal otherwise. Again, we don't know what budget/ownership issues he is dealing with that tie his hands sometimes. Our future looks bright though, and he has certainly not been horrible.

The Playfair criticism might be fair but maybe not. Realistically, we have a 1D, no 2D or 3D, 2 4D's (Stone/Murphy), a 5/6D combo of Grossman/Z, 3 7D's that might be 5/6 D's in Kconn/Dahlback/Tinordi. Playfair needs to be Houdini with that D core to play well or we have to have LD/Smith play lights out. This is a lot to ask.

Good post. It seems because of our hot start most forget that we are a rebuilding team, not a contender. To only be 4 pts. out of a playoff spot at this time of year is unbelievable. Most expected this team to finish bottom 5, and many thought last. This team has given us much to cheer about this year with the rookies getting ice time and progressing as planed and next year hopefully the same. So I, like you, don't understand the hate for DT.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Good post. It seems because of our hot start most forget that we are a rebuilding team, not a contender. To only be 4 pts. out of a playoff spot at this time of year is unbelievable. Most expected this team to finish bottom 5, and many thought last. This team has given us much to cheer about this year with the rookies getting ice time and progressing as planed and next year hopefully the same. So I, like you, don't understand the hate for DT.

We were the 100% consensus last place team in the NHL in every poll and on HFboards. We have nothing to complain about relative to expectations so far this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad