GDT: Game 52: Columbus vs. Los Angeles | 2/9 7PM EST

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever of this, he isn't offensively gifted, he doesn't play physical, he gets pushed around in front of his own net and can't clear the crease. I don't want him in my top 6 of a healthy roster. And he won't be, there is a reason he's about 8th on the depth chart of one of the worst defenses in the NHL.

You seem to have something against two way defenseman. First you want Tyutin gone, a two way guy who moves the puck out of the zone well, but doesn't possess much else offensively while being pretty steady in the DZ but not physical, and now Golo, who is basically the same player as Tyutin but less polished. I like Golo as a one day Tyutin replacement, I don't mind if he's traded, but I do like his potential over say a Dalton Prout, who can only hit and fight.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
You seem to have something against two way defenseman. First you want Tyutin gone, a two way guy who moves the puck out of the zone well, but doesn't possess much else offensively while being pretty steady in the DZ but not physical, and now Golo, who is basically the same player as Tyutin but less polished. I like Golo as a one day Tyutin replacement, I don't mind if he's traded, but I do like his potential over say a Dalton Prout, who can only hit and fight.

You say that like it's a bad thing. He clears the front of the net better than most on our team.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
You say that like it's a bad thing. He clears the front of the net better than most on our team.

When he's on his game he does. When he's not his man just stands there. Prout's game goes too up and down right now, not unusual for a young Dman, but his game tilts to the bad more often than not right now.

thebus2288*

Horrible defensive zone coverage there. Savard was just garbage and we have an unchecked forward.

Jeebus Savard; ****ing connect with that pass jackass. What a **** PP by him. He was responsible for not getting the puck in the zone, the puck leaving the offensive zone, and missing on a pass leading to a turnover leading to transition the other direction all in the same PP. That's like the Gordie Howe hat trick of ineptitude.

Don't want to harp on it; but two screwed up passes by Savard on that shift heading to an icing. One that was almost a turnover in the neutral zone leading to transition the other way.

Can people really think this guy is a good defensemen? It's just mental error after mental error.

Harpin' aint easy!!

If this is what I sound like when I ***** about Wiz and Wennberg then maybe I'm starting to understand. Remember though that Savard and Johnson play the "hardest" minutes each game..

thebus2288*

Not really seeing much upside with him this season. He has definitely regressed, even though you could argue his role in the team has kinda changed since last year

Regressed? No upside? His role has changed significantly since the very beginning of last year.

Richards is mismanaging him to be sure.

I'm not convinced that Richards is great at watching film and understanding what he's seeing. At least not to anything like the level that someone like Hitch or Babcock would.

I'm not saying that I'm close to where he is, but I can see that Savard makes too many mistakes for his role.

What type of role do you think Savard has on the team? And who do you think would be a better option to be put in this role over Savard?

Since the "end"(I'd guess last 25 games or so +pitt series) of last year Savard has been playing the 2nd most and hardest(aka pk) minutes along with Johnson. This year (given adequate PP time) he has 8 goals. This leads our defense and is actually already more than Wisniewski's season for the ages last year. He is 2nd in TOI a game behind Johnson while also playing mainly against the oppositions top lines both even strength, PP and PK. Wisniewski, Leopold, Tyutin, Cotton and Golobeuf are not better options to be playing the situations Savard has been.

Same could be said about the minutes Johnson plays. Savard and Johnson might not be playing in an ideal role for them or the team, but we simply have no better options.

No way do you deal Johnson off the defense or sit Savard.

thebus2288*

#3. Richards didn't plunk Savard's ass at the end of the bench like he should have.

Again, who would you put in his spot? Leopold isn't gonna look any better bud.

#4. Don't like them chip the puck past you leaving Savard to manage a 2-1. Instead of playing the pass; Savard tried to play both snow angel style. Lucky for Savard and the Jackets - CMac kicked the blocker out and got it. An elevation and that puck was in the net. Great save by CMac; but the book is out on Savard. Until he adjusts he's going to give up a lot of scoring chances.

HAHA the "book" is out on you man. You realize that the "snow angel style" IS him playing the pass while not letting the puck carrier just walk all the way into the net? Oh that's right, you don't. I'll let ya in on some hockey defense 101, when a defensemen does what Savard did its so that the passer cant get a quick pass on the ice across the slot for a 1 timer. The "plan" is to slow the pass up by making them pass it over your body. Doughty is obviously very quick and good with the puck and Carter knows how to get in good position. He backed off a bit so Doughty could throw it over Savard's stick farther up in the slot. By Savard going down and at the angle/position he did forced the pass to be slower and forced Carter to a worse angle farther away from the net. There's not much more you could have asked from him in that situation.

thebus2288*

It is. But worse.

Cool. Here's some more. Hopefully it doesn't get deleted.

Since not 1 single person mentioned it I'd like all of you to go back and watch the Carter and Brown goals.

You want to know what not to do as a forward/center in the defensive zone? Watch the 1 and only Alexander Wennberg.

He seems to be all over and nowhere at the same time more than any CBJ player that I can remember. This type of **** has happened all year. Other players start attempting to fill missed assignments and before you know it the pucks in the back of the net. He might be "better" now than he was at game 10 but he's still putting up minuses like crazy.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Cool. Here's some more. Hopefully it doesn't get deleted.

Since not 1 single person mentioned it I'd like all of you to go back and watch the Carter and Brown goals.

You want to know what not to do as a forward/center in the defensive zone? Watch the 1 and only Alexander Wennberg.

He seems to be all over and nowhere at the same time more than any CBJ player that I can remember. This type of **** has happened all year. Other players start attempting to fill missed assignments and before you know it the pucks in the back of the net. He might be "better" now than he was at game 10 but he's still putting up minuses like crazy.

I'm with you on Wennberg defensively. I often read how good he is defensively, yet my eyes tell me something very different.

Here are the replays for goals 3 and 4 by LA last night:

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2014020793

The good news is that defense can be taught. I'll cut the kid some slack as he's a green rookie who should be in the AHL.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm with you on Wennberg defensively. I often read how good he is defensively, yet my eyes tell me something very different.

Here are the replays for goals 3 and 4 by LA last night:

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2014020793

Even I, who has trouble being able to tell when a D is not positioned properly or whatever else the guys who played know about, thought to myself what the eff is Wennberg doing on the 4th goal in particular. He was just kind of wandering. The kid is a rookie so I'll cut him some slack but I'd prefer he was making more like Johnny Gaudreau rather than Alexandre Picard.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

On what planet is Tyutin a two-way defensemen?? Boy our standards are VERY low here....I want both of them gone, neither has any upside for offense which is what's important. I want offense or banger, if you can't do either, you don't belong on my defense.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
On what planet is Tyutin a two-way defensemen?? Boy our standards are VERY low here....I want both of them gone, neither has any upside for offense which is what's important. I want offense or banger, if you can't do either, you don't belong on my defense.
Maybe not this season, but for many seasons in a row Tyutin was a ~25+ point Dman while remaining great in his own zone. Yeah he's regressing now but he's been a good 2 way D for the majority of his tenure in the Union Blue.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Tyutin had 26 points in 66 or so games last year. That's not bad stats for a so called 'one way' defenseman. People forget Tyutin averages around 27 points for us in his CBJ career, including the lockout year where he had 22 in 48. He's no slouch moving the puck, and he's responsible in his own end. He was our highest scoring defenseman during the lockout year.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Tyutin had 26 points in 66 or so games last year. That's not bad stats for a so called 'one way' defenseman. People forget Tyutin averages around 27 points for us in his CBJ career, including the lockout year where he had 22 in 48. He's no slouch moving the puck, and he's responsible in his own end. He was our highest scoring defenseman during the lockout year.

He's gone down considerably in offensive production and ability to move the puck. We can't have 6 of the same guys coming back and he is the one I would move. He's a 5-6 D guy at best on a playoff team. I know you know your stuff, but we have to agree to disagree on this one. I believe offense starts with defense and it's painful to watch our guys. They give the puck away in the other end, they play hot potato and nobody is confident with the puck except maybe JJ. We need more back there, maybe Mike Green would regain his 32 goal form with a change of scenery.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Maybe not this season, but for many seasons in a row Tyutin was a ~25+ point Dman while remaining great in his own zone. Yeah he's regressing now but he's been a good 2 way D for the majority of his tenure in the Union Blue.

I don't disagree that he's been decent in his own end during his tenure, but I only care about now and next season and he's getting long in the tooth and we need help back there. Who would you suggest moving on the back end instead? Or do you also think we should stick with who we have?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
He's gone down considerably in offensive production and ability to move the puck. We can't have 6 of the same guys coming back and he is the one I would move. He's a 5-6 D guy at best on a playoff team. I know you know your stuff, but we have to agree to disagree on this one. I believe offense starts with defense and it's painful to watch our guys. They give the puck away in the other end, they play hot potato and nobody is confident with the puck except maybe JJ. We need more back there, maybe Mike Green would regain his 32 goal form with a change of scenery.

Yeah, I do agree with the puck being a hand grenade for our defenseman, and Tyutin used to be the one burned by this the most (see the first Penguin goal by Jokinen in the PO), but Tyutin does alot for the team, and if we're going to move him I feel it will be a mistake.

I used to love Mike Green, but he's a shell of the 32 goal Mike Green. While he's an upgrade on offense from say a David Savard (for now), he's a downgrade defensively from a guy like Tyutin. Given the contract he's about to get, I wouldn't touch that.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah, I do agree with the puck being a hand grenade for our defenseman, and Tyutin used to be the one burned by this the most (see the first Penguin goal by Jokinen in the PO), but Tyutin does alot for the team, and if we're going to move him I feel it will be a mistake.

I used to love Mike Green, but he's a shell of the 32 goal Mike Green. While he's an upgrade on offense from say a David Savard (for now), he's a downgrade defensively from a guy like Tyutin. Given the contract he's about to get, I wouldn't touch that.

I would take a drop off in defense ability for offense ability, especially if he was paired with Murray. I know he's dropped off but that was the first name that came to mind, who else is a FA? For argument sake, who is available that you would want?

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Mike Green would be lucky to score 20 goals again in this league let alone 31..

We also don't have a PP unit consisting of Ovi, Backstrom, and Semin in their primes to help him out with those goals.

I would take 20 in a heartbeat, we don't have anyone that has a prayer at 20. We've had one of the top PP units for most of the year, we have players. what really lacks is on the backend, nobody is getting shots through except Savard on occasion.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I would take a drop off in defense ability for offense ability, especially if he was paired with Murray. I know he's dropped off but that was the first name that came to mind, who else is a FA? For argument sake, who is available that you would want?

If there's someone in FA that I would give money to on defense it would be Christian Ehrhoff. But tons of teams will throw money at him.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
If there's someone in FA that I would give money to on defense it would be Christian Ehrhoff. But tons of teams will throw money at him.

We have the extra cash if we get Horton put on insurance. His stats aren't much better than Green's though and he's around the same age.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00