GDT: [Game #50] Dallas Stars vs. Carolina Hurricanes - 7:30 PM CT (BSSW)

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Good thing the Stars started the season off strong because they're falling fast and have no clutch bone in their body past 60 minutes. Yeesh,

Reactions: Blindsummit

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Not sure I'll watch anymore games that go past 60 for the Stars. just Will check the box score next time I think. Waste of time. 2nd unit of guys had just gotten on the ice and looked exhausted already

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Time to start pulling Oettinger after 60. He's terrible in overtime.

So is the team.

Dallas will make the play-offs but these pathteic 3 on 3 performances will cost them home ice

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I wanna see Kiviranta and Dellandrea start the next OT. Just load up the speedy high effort guys and throw them out there

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Honestly though, not sure we lose that game with a full game of Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski. Time to go back to that. Hintz was invisible until that point

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
The overtime thing is living rent free in their heads now. You can see it in their body language and in their scared play. They have no confidence or expectation they can win in OT.
Now, I know it's not three on three in the playoffs, but it is sudden death so that lack of testicular fortitude will cost us big time.
Right now, with the way Colorado are storming back, I think the best we can hope for is third in the Central.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Coaches trying to be so smart that they end up dumb. The formula for successful OT was established last season. We ain't winning shit until Faksa and Glendening start it off.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Coaches trying to be so smart that they end up dumb. The formula for successful OT was established last season. We ain't winning shit until Faksa and Glendening start it off.
i cant tell if you’re joking but glendening is quite literally the worst player on this team.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
After next game the team is off for quite a while. Maybe the coaching staff can get together and figure out some things for OT while the team has no games. Well i guess maybe without the HC because he's also at the ASG but still

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
i cant tell if you’re joking but glendening is quite literally the worst player on this team.
So? He started OT regularly last season and they won most of them.

At some point, what should work on paper has to go out the window after repeated failures in favor of what worked in the past, even if it makes no damn sense.

Reactions: Sports2

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
We seem to be better in OT when it reaches that up and down chaos mode about 3.5 mins in.

Maybe we should just try to get past the first few minds of snake and loop around till it gets chaotic.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
I'm frustrated with their struggles in 3 on 3 as well but if a good team is gonna be real bad at something, 3 on 3 and shootout are the best things to be bad at. They are gimmicks that go away in the playoffs. If it costs them a spot in the standings that blows but I think being bad at 3 on 3 is not something to worry so much about.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Someone needs to steal Marchment's sticks and bend the toe in a little bit without him knowing. He'd start scoring goals in buckets because he's missing high with every shot these days.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
It's also possible that the takeaway on Robertson's pass was a good defensive play by the Canes player. Or when Heiskanen tried to beat a guy 1v1 but got stripped... that's a pretty impressive play to get the puck off a guy like Heiskanen in 3v3 at speed.

It's not always the team playing bad. Sometimes the opponents deserve credit.

Once Heiskanen gave the puck away though, the team did in fact play pretty crappy, IMO.

So? He started OT regularly last season and they won most of them.
Glendenning played 3:28 minutes of OT last year and 0 goals were scored while he was on the ice.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Glendenning played 3:28 minutes of OT last year and 0 goals were scored while he was on the ice.
Exactly, Bones figured out that the way to win after a terrible OT record 2 seasons ago was to waste the opponents best unit against our defensive players who would kill time and gain possession, then hand it off to our best unit against their #2 or 3 group and voila, we win way more than we lose.

Putting Miro and Robo out against their best unit right away is a repeatedly proven failed strategy at this point. Doing it yet again makes the coach an idiot (or insane, by Eienstein's definition).

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Exactly, Bones figured out that the way to win after a terrible OT record 2 seasons ago was to waste the opponents best unit against our defensive players who would kill time and gain possession, then hand it off to our best unit against their #2 or 3 group and voila, we win way more than we lose.

Putting Miro and Robo out against their best unit right away is a repeatedly proven failed strategy at this point. Doing it yet again makes the coach an idiot (or insane, by Eienstein's definition).
This happened a few times but it wasn't particularly common with Glendenning. Are you sure you aren't thinking of Faksa? He was the one we were meming about because he started several OTs in a row.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
This happened a few times but it wasn't particularly common with Glendenning. Are you sure you aren't thinking of Faksa? He was the one we were meming about because he started several OTs in a row.
I was talking about both originally because, as I recall, they usually started together along with Lindell. Was there another forward Faksa would frequently start with?

In any case, start with your two best defensive forwards who can win faceoffs, waste the other team's time for a minute, then put out your big guns with possession already secured. It's a proven winning strategy no matter how much fans whined about it. Starting with your best offensive players clearly doesn't work for this group.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
I was talking about both originally because, as I recall, they usually started together along with Lindell. Was there another forward Faksa would frequently start with?

In any case, start with your two best defensive forwards who can win faceoffs, waste the other team's time for a minute, then put out your big guns with possession already secured. It's a proven winning strategy no matter how much fans whined about it. Starting with your best offensive players clearly doesn't work for this group.
Looks like Glendenning started 3 OTs last year and all 3 were with Faksa. However, Faksa started a lot more with various partners besides Glendenning.

A neutral zone start in 3v3 is almost always the opening faceoff, but for Glendenning I checked the shift chart to make sure he actually opened OT.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Looks like Glendenning started 3 OTs last year and all 3 were with Faksa. However, Faksa started a lot more with various partners besides Glendenning.

A neutral zone start in 3v3 is almost always the opening faceoff, but for Glendenning I checked the shift chart to make sure he actually opened OT.

Yeah, maybe Faksa had more starts with Raffl, I forgot about him til just now.

Anyway, the point is they need to start some better defensive forwards and stop with putting Miro and Robertson out because those two have f***ed up enough 3v3s for 1 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad