Post-Game Talk: Game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I find it very odd that the refs were calling this series one way(lots of calls) for 3 games, and then dramatically reduced the calls for games 4 & 5. I know the rangers should be controlling their own fate but it feels as though that has changed momentum as Carolina was complete bunk on the Powerplay and it was killing them.
It's all about game and series management.

Last night, Carolina got away with at least two blatant penalties in the first period, and then an obvious too many men while killing a penalty.

Then the Rangers got called for three straight penalties, granted Trouba scored on one. It certainly seemed like game management had taken over. I also think that's a big reason for why the coaching staff basically told them to play to hold a lead rather than play aggressively. Another reason why dressing Rempe isn't all that smart.

Also, after the 1-1 goal, Panarin almost had his head ripped off with no call, and immediately Carolina comes down the ice and scores.

Carolina and their fans bitched incessantly about officiating after Games 1 and 2. Brind'Amour believes his team doesn't commit penalties. The refs and/or the league heard it, because you're right, the games have been officiated quite differently in Games 4 and 5.

Refs aren't the reason why the Rangers lost last night, BUT against a team like that, which is ultra-aggressive and interferes all over the place, the Rangers need the officials to call an honest game.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I'm just here to say, that I'm just as disappointed as the rest of you guys are. But I refuse to destroy my team, based on what would seem to be quite the lackluster effort. I am going to give a lot of credit to Carolina, THEY deserved to win. We didn't.
I swear that when Trouba scored that goal, it seemed to me, that the Rangers thought that, that one goal, was going to hold up. I am especially disappointed in Panarin, he's been a non factor lately and Foxy "has to be" nurturing something. His mobility is just not there...... the way he used to shake and bake. We still have this, keep the faith guys, we'll be fine.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
We’re at the point where the Gus-Trouba pairing needs to be broken up. 13% xGF tonight. Another absolutely pitiful showing.

You either need to replace one of them with Jones, or split them and pair them back the way they used to be and hope their counterparts carry them. You can’t go back to Carolina and let them get last change advantage against that pairing again. Its a disgrace.

Carolina put the Aho line out against them almost every time.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's all about game and series management.

Last night, Carolina got away with at least two blatant penalties in the first period, and then an obvious too many men while killing a penalty.

Then the Rangers got called for three straight penalties, granted Trouba scored on one. It certainly seemed like game management had taken over. I also think that's a big reason for why the coaching staff basically told them to play to hold a lead rather than play aggressively. Another reason why dressing Rempe isn't all that smart.

Also, after the 1-1 goal, Panarin almost had his head ripped off with no call, and immediately Carolina comes down the ice and scores.

Carolina and their fans bitched incessantly about officiating after Games 1 and 2. Brind'Amour believes his team doesn't commit penalties. The refs and/or the league heard it, because you're right, the games have been officiated quite differently in Games 4 and 5.

Refs aren't the reason why the Rangers lost last night, BUT against a team like that, which is ultra-aggressive and interferes all over the place, the Rangers need the officials to call an honest game.
The way this series is being officiated is disgusting.

It's not even the "everyone gets a turn" brand of game management.

It's a concerted effort to get special teams out of the series because one team is way better at it.

Our powerplay went cold because we stopped getting them.

If you told me we'd have like five powerplays in games 3, 4, and 5, I'd be very surprised to learn that we won one of those games and should have won another one. We're doing as well at even strength as you could have reasonably expected.

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The forwards need to get back and start playing a 200 ft game. What a horrendous game, I mean Carolina almost scored 10 seconds into the game. No back pressure, no extra effort, I see you Panarin. If they play like this again on Thursday, they'll be playing a game 7.
With that said, this team is so screwed up, I think they play better when it's game 6 or 7. We'll have to see what kind of team comes out on Thursday.

Jack Hanson

Oct 5, 2023
Not singling you out Jack. How can anybody use that excuse that we're tired? I don't buy that for one second. How could Carolina not be tired, they're playing the same games and the same days off as we are. In my book, that's a bullshit lame excuse.
Its not an excuse, its a fact.

We ran out of gas and threw in the towel. Why didnt Carolina?, because they were pumped, coming back from the abyss and winning 2 in a row does that.

Not playing until thurs and letting our coach make lineup changes, resting, having some practices, all this will help us.

Im just not willing to have a negative outlook. I still think we can win this.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY

We ran out of gas and threw in the towel. Why didnt Carolina?, because they were pumped, coming back from the abyss and winning 2 in a row does that.

Not playing until thurs and letting our coach make lineup changes, resting, having some practices, all this will help us.

It’s not about running out of gas. Just like the Tampa series wasn’t running out of gas, as much as people have tried to cope by pretending that narrative was true.

This core capitulates and stops playing assertive hockey when they get hit with high, constant pressure. It happens all the time.

It’s mindset, not fatigue. Everyone needs to stop hoping someone else is going to make a play and instead try to take the bull by the horns themselves. They did it in the two overtime games. Unfortunately though, their on/off switch is always just a minute or two away.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX

I would love to see what changes he makes, but I'm skeptical that he will aside from the Chytil/Rempe/Brodzinski forward spot.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Team needs to be thrown in a hotel both home and away for the rest of these playoffs and tell the wives and kids theyll see them after. Majority of our most important players have toddlers and infants at home and their sleep schedules are wrecked. Pair that with mothers day on sunday where they were probably busy all day, ate like crap and on their feet and last night’s flat effort starts making more sense

Jack Hanson

Oct 5, 2023
You can call it losing momentum, whatever, it doesnt just happen to the Rangers, it happens to all teams.

It happened during the regular season for the Rangers this year multiple times. I can think of a few games where we sucked.

But then we turned it around. Just like we can turn it around now. Our coach this year is great and our team is great too. I know we can turn it around. I think they can reset and get back to how they were in games 1, 2 and 3.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022

I think the running out of gas had largely to do with the day prior being mothers day, a good chunk of our core having very young kids and them probably running around like mad men with their kids and wives on sunday.

Time to throw the team in a hotel for the duration of the playoffs and tell the wives and kids theyll see them in june

Reactions: Jack Hanson

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
You can call it losing momentum, whatever, it doesnt just happen to the Rangers, it happens to all teams.

It happened during the regular season for the Rangers this year multiple times. I can think of a few games where we sucked.

But then we turned it around. Just like we can turn it around now. Our coach this year is great and our team is great too. I know we can turn it around. I think they can reset and get back to how they were in games 1, 2 and 3.
The best news is we have two days off here to figure it out. It’s the perfect time for an extra day.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You guys have weird trauma over 2-0 leads.

A 3-1 lead, sure. A 3-0 lead, absolutely.

A 2-0 lead is nothing. It falls down if you sneeze at it.

Taking a 2-0 lead at home is literally accomplishing nothing.

Again, for a fanbase that has seen the playoffs, and a lot of it, it amazes me how you guys are like this every year.

1000003782.jpg

Reactions: Megustaelhockey

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
0-2 with Brodzinski. Not saying it's his fault, but it is a̶c̶c̶u̶r̶a̶t̶e̶ completely inaccurate.

Edited to reflect that I'm bad at things, as is the strikethrough text on here evidently.

Last edited:

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
You guys have weird trauma over 2-0 leads.

A 3-1 lead, sure. A 3-0 lead, absolutely.

A 2-0 lead is nothing. It falls down if you sneeze at it.

Taking a 2-0 lead at home is literally accomplishing nothing.

Again, for a fanbase that has seen the playoffs, and a lot of it, it amazes me how you guys are like this every year.

View attachment 870514

I think it has more to do with how they lose rather than them losing.

There were still a lot of positives to take out of Game 4.

Game 5?

Reactions: TheWrongWay
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad