Post-Game Talk: Game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I just don't know what happened in the third. He was legit having a dominant performance in the first two. Completely dominant and then shit the best in the third.
Igor didn’t exactly shit the bed. Others swallowed the Ex-Lax on his behalf. Schneider looked like a guy watching the bus go by on the first goal.

No chance it's over 50%...3 teams total have pulled it off.
It’s happened 4X previously. 1942, 1975, 2010 and 2014.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The concern for me is just the effort. It wasn’t there. Trocheck called them out “Carolina wanted it more” he said it twice and it’s true. The Rangers had a chance to win the series there gave up 4 in the third period. I expect a better effort Thursday or this series is over

This is why you NEVER EVER say "well you can't go 16-0". Or whatever people were saying. Or "I'd be really concerned if we got blown out". Carolina looked HORRIBLE defensively in game 4. We should have buried them in the third period after Laf's goal. Instead we got all happy that we tied it and lost. This game we had NOTHING. Laf who had one of the best games of his career in game 4 was invisible this game. I really went ot bat for him on the main board and he like the rest of the team didn't shot up.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Igor didn’t exactly shit the bed. Others swallowed the Ex-Lax on his behalf. Schneider looked like a guy watching the bus go by on the first goal.
I mean, at least he tried to challenge, unlike Trouba who's been backing up into the goalies lap

But yeah he over challenged. The real culprit was the baby shit soft play to toss the puck out of the zone and then everyone goes and changes

mother f***ers you don't need 15 second shifts to save your legs get out there and make plays and stop being a damn doormat

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
It would be SO embarrassing if we were the fourth team it happened to.
giphy.gif

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Apt comparison. That game was horrific. We don't have a Mark Messier in the room this time, however.
Neither did all of the other teams that had a bad performance and then won the series.

We need to be really good to win game 6.

We needed to be really good to win the three games we won.

We can do it.

Reactions: NYR94

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I shouldn't be so irate right now...but the last 2 years have made situations like this extra sour. Pissing away a 3rd series that should be in the bag and I don't see how it's possible to have any good vibes about this core for Summer hockey.
I have no problem with what happened against Tampa 2 years ago. They were coming off of two tough 7 game series in which they were behind in those series and came back to win. People seem to forget that. They were pretty much gassed later in that series and were playing the defending champs. Last year was a different story.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Neither did all of the other teams that had a bad performance and then won the series.

We can do it.

What makes you say that? This core has embarrassed themselves three seasons in a row. A room full of losers being led by the worst captain of all time that makes Rob Gronkowski look like Albert Einstein.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ

We can do it.

The Rangers were good outside that 10 minutes in game 4 in Carolina in the two games down there. I get past demons, but everyone here has watched this team respond all year, give them a shot to respond again.

We have all been watching games since September, there’s no reason to throw in the towel now, and that’s with a 3-2 series lead.

Reactions: Machinehead

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
I think Laviollette ‘s job is on the line - I think Panarins Legacy and Ranger future are on the line as well.

I’m basically paralyzed after that loss but I saw it coming even up 1-0.

You can’t play the Shell game with 20 minutes to go against the team like that a team with 52 wins themselves.

I have not criticized the coach once until tonight be ashamed of himself .
His season long of bad first periods finally came back and bit his sac.

The answer is Zach Jones in for Trouba, but no way he has the stones for that.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Their conditioning stinks then. They only played four games in the first round.
It hasn't been a problem all year though. They were like 11-1 on the second night of a B2B and gutted their way though some awful scheduling, playing 6 games in 9 days and winning 5 of them. I honestly don't know what to think. Maybe the extra day off will help.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I mean, at least he tried to challenge, unlike Trouba who's been backing up into the goalies lap

But yeah he over challenged. The real culprit was the baby shit soft play to toss the puck out of the zone and then everyone goes and changes

mother f***ers you don't need 15 second shifts to save your legs get out there and make plays and stop being a damn doormat

The Kreider special.

He and Vesey are the last guys I want trying to get the puck out of the DZ. It's either shit like that or just making a half assed attempt that doesn't get out at all. If we can make it far enough and Wheeler is ready to go, its an easy decision for me to replace Vesey with him. JV has done nothing to keep his spot in the lineup for me.

But there was nothing good about this game. Reminds me so much of that late season game against Philly. Just completely out of sync and it wasn't even about what Carolina was doing. They just didn't look like they were into the game at all. They had some chance in the 1st but outside of that how many good chances did they have? 2? 3? and they scored on one of them.

This next week is about as legacy defining for Panarin as it gets. 3 good games doesn't turn the tide for him, especially when its been followed up with shit like tonight. Wanna be remembered in a good light? Step the f*** up. I just hope he doesn't get all domed up after a game like this.

Reactions: TheWrongWay

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008

It’s happened 4X previously. 1942, 1975, 2010 and 2014.

It's similar to the first goal in Game 4 with Trouba. Whereas Schneider challenged at the line and got turnstiled, Trouba backed in. Both were caused by botched clears/line changes. Boyle broke down the Trouba play post-game 4. When you as a dman expect your forwards to clear the zone and space out but they don't, then you're in deep shit because you're probably standing still. Do you challenge or do you back up? The natural thing to do is back up. If you try to step up and "torpedo" the oncoming forward, in Boyle's words, you're gonna get smoked at the NHL level. That's basically what happened to Schneider with Staal. You can't gap up when you're at a standstill with the expectation that your forwards will clear the puck out and it comes back at you right away.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It's similar to the first goal in Game 4 with Trouba. Whereas Schneider challenged at the line and got turnstiled, Trouba backed in. Both were caused by botched clears/line changes. Boyle broke down the Trouba play post-game 4. When you as a dman expect your forwards to clear the zone and space out but they don't, then you're in deep shit because you're probably standing still. Do you challenge or do you back up? The natural thing to do is back up. If you try to step up and "torpedo" the oncoming forward, in Boyle's words, you're gonna get smoked at the NHL level. That's basically what happened to Schneider with Staal. You can't gap up when you're at a standstill with the expectation that your forwards will clear the puck out and it comes back at you right away.
yeah for sure which is why I said the real culprit was how the Rangers "cleared" the zone and acted like they had done their job and relaxed.
Trouba just backs waaaaay too far in even when he has time though

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
The Rangers were good outside that 10 minutes in game 4 in Carolina in the two games down there. I get past demons, but everyone here has watched this team respond all year, give them a shot to respond again.

We have all been watching games since September, there’s no reason to throw in the towel now, and that’s with a 3-2 series lead.
They were also not that good in the last 10 minutes in game 4 after they tied it and lousy all game tonight. All is not lost but I'm really concerned.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
What is the percentage of when a team up 3-0 and loses the next two? I'm almost afraid to ask.
OK, from 2000-2023 (because stuff going back further than that!) and not including the covid play-in rounds. Teams that have gone up 3-0 but have not swept:
- has happened 33 times
- 19 times has ended up 4-1 (57.57%)
- 10 times 4-2 (30.30%)
- 2 times 4-3 (6.06%)
- the 3-0 team has lost twice (6.06%)

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
I gotta say this loss is on the coaches. You don't see a team play like that without instructions from thYe coaches all game long to "play it safe", "chip the puck out", "get back in the neutral zone"

Rangers deferred from making plays all game long and it was clear that they had orders for short shifts and avoid turnovers and they spent the whole game just tossing the puck away. No one wanted to make a play with the puck at all and that will kill you every time in the NHL especially in the playoffs.

They need to get their heads right before game 6 before they lose this.

And for f***s sake do something to adjust for Carolina just cherry picking a guy at the Rangers blueline and making it easy mode through the neutral zone over and over again. This is on the coaches to respond and adjust now.
Yeah ... this reminded me of the Kings series, where we got leads & then "played defense." And we know how that went.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
OK, from 2000-2023 (because stuff going back further than that!) and not including the covid play-in rounds. Teams that have gone up 3-0 but have not swept:
- has happened 33 times
- 19 times has ended up 4-1 (57.57%)
- 10 times 4-2 (30.30%)
- 2 times 4-3 (6.06%)
- the 3-0 team has lost twice (6.06%)

So the 50% thing is BS.

Thats really all that needed to be outlined.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

The Rangers had 107 and 110 point teams the last two years. They have shown they can respond in the regular season for three years now. In the playoffs they lack balls and heart. The second things go sour the team collapses. This is a core of losers. Panarin basically embodies every 1990s stereotype there are of Russian players, soft and mentally weak. Mika would rather be a DJ than a hockey player. Shesterkin is always an inch away of turning into Dan Cloutier. Soft, mentally weak, not cut out for playoff hockey. But we'll keep seeing them like the Matthews/Marner gang and every year like Leafs fans delude ourselves into thinking this year will be different. Except NY Jets NHL version every year will choke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad