Post-Game Talk: Game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Exactly. There’s no explanation for us looking as sluggish as we did tonight. Everything was slow, everyone was off. Nothing was crisp all night. They were behind the 8 ball the entire game.

Carolina made adjustments too. They’re not spamming shots anymore, two games in a row now. They’re actually passing up shots and holding pucks more.

There’s just really no explanation for the lack of execution tonight. Looked like the Devils series. Idk how anyone can be confident after that display and on home ice. Simply unacceptable.
I thought this team was different and was on a mission this year. After this steaming pile of shit tonight I'm not so sure anymore. You are right. It was unacceptable.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I mean if that was the message, the team didn't listen.

Nothing about a half assed clear when you have all the time in the world, failing to pick up a stick on a forward on a rebound opportunity (and I'm surprised that @SnowblindNYR isn't on Igor for this, that was a bad rebound) or turning the puck over behind your own net with no slot coverage speaks to focusing on defense.

This was an ass game from start to finish. The difference is the shit plays the Rangers made in the 3rd ended up in the back of their net.

It's very concerning to me how often Igor doesn't complete games. He was legit having the best game of his playoffs the first two periods and then the third happened. He's bipolar too often. Hank had way too many efforts like Igor did against the Penguins early on. Igor thankfully doesn't have that. But Hank knew how to be unbeatable for entire game. With Hank we have a chance to win at the end at worst and might even be going into OT. I won't say that he'd necessarily win 1-0 because that would be asking too much. But it was legit like a different goalie entered the net in the third and that happens to him too often. Also I did shit on that rebound in an earlier post. Also, Igor was the least of the problems but he just doesn't close the door.

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
something tells me we'll hear over the next two days. More than 50%, less than 98%. 75% is good guess. All they need is one good game. C'mon, guys.
In the 2010 EC quarters, Montreal won game 1, lost 3 straight to the Caps and then won 3 straight. WAS did not lead after 3rd period of game 4.

That Caps team won the President’s Trophy.

Weird shit happens in the playoffs.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
It's very concerning to me how often Igor doesn't complete games. He was legit having the best game of his playoffs the first two periods and then the third happened. He's bipolar too often. Hank had way too many efforts like Igor did against the Penguins early on. Igor thankfully doesn't have that. But Hank knew how to be unbeatable for entire game. With Hank we have a chance to win at the end at worst and might even be going into OT. I won't say that he'd necessarily win 1-0 because that would be asking too much. But it was legit like a different goalie entered the net in the third and that happens to him too often. Also I did shit on that rebound in an earlier post. Also, Igor was the least of the problems but he just doesn't close the door.
He has zero shutouts in his postseason career. That speaks for itself.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
All this begins with moving their feet & skating the puck through the neutral zone, deep into the Canes zone. For some reason they kept trying dump ins & home run passes. Then by the 3rd they were completely frustrated by Carolina's trap & played right into it by forcing passes that had no chances to connect. They were gliding all night & it was clearly unacceptable.
It was way too passive. It didn't f***ing work. They scored 4 goals anyway. You can't invite this Canes team into your zone and just turn them off.

The play that sums up this game was at 1-1. Panarin gets to a loose puck, goes around his man, gets forced behind the net, the dude proceeds to commit 8 different penalties in 4 seconds, and McDonaugh was like "not a lot of help for Panarin," and then they came down and scored.

Where was everyone? Way too much dumping, reaching, and waiting for the play to happen.

It's not the way we played in the first four games.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
This beta core would struggle to win the $1,000 consolation prize on Wheel of Fortune.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I gotta say this loss is on the coaches. You don't see a team play like that without instructions from the coaches all game long to "play it safe", "chip the puck out", "get back in the neutral zone"

Rangers deferred from making plays all game long and it was clear that they had orders for short shifts and avoid turnovers and they spent the whole game just tossing the puck away. No one wanted to make a play with the puck at all and that will kill you every time in the NHL especially in the playoffs.

They need to get their heads right before game 6 before they lose this.

And for f***s sake do something to adjust for Carolina just cherry picking a guy at the Rangers blueline and making it easy mode through the neutral zone over and over again. This is on the coaches to respond and adjust now.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
You also send them a message by doing so.

Tro, Bread, Zibs, and Kreider weren't showing anything with the man advantage or 5v5.

Why reward them with more minutes while they play like shit and only achieve in killing some time off the clock?
They have to hit the damn net too. Not every freaking shot has to be a picked corner or look for a pretty pass tip in.
I’m sure Anderson was shocked Trouba didn’t try to pass that puck.
It was a well placed shot, don’t get me wrong, but he was thinking to cheat laterally cause he sucks going from post to post.
Wennberg had a wide open wrap around attempt when andersson was down n out, and he can’t even stuff it on cage.

Tro/panarin/fox/kreider/gus
We’re all dogshit.
Laf had no space to do anything because of it as well.
Schneider and miller were ok. Got flat footed on the goal from staal. Bad timing/situation.$$,,
Kakko had his 1 shot from about 35 feet out that was radially kicked away.
We had absolutely 0 net presence in this game.
Even when 1 of our dinks had the puck behind the net, there was no one at/in the top of the paint.
I don’t get it.
This is a playoff elimination game, not a garden party, ballroom dance, not a game of grab ass. our best fwds tonight we Cuylle/Laf/Roslovic and a couple shifts of Trochek.

Fox playing on 1 leg, and our fwds affinity to make a pretty pass instead of trying to get a shot thru is killing us.
When is the last time anyone saw Fox dangle or walk the line?
Use his fake shot/slap pass or his legs to make. Play???
The tie up Oth freaking Jensen must have really aggravated his knee injury from earlier in the year

Reactions: Brutananadilewski

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

The rebound was bad, Panarin should have had his guy but that puck should never be there to begin with.

Can't really get on him for the other 2. You have Kreider just basically playing hot potato with the puck for no reason and then Trouba doing what ever the f*** that was on the 3rd goal against.

Hank had plenty of bad playoff moments too. Igor is one of like 5 guys I'm looking for a big moment out of in g6.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
The concern for me is just the effort. It wasn’t there. Trocheck called them out “Carolina wanted it more” he said it twice and it’s true. The Rangers had a chance to win the series there gave up 4 in the third period. I expect a better effort Thursday or this series is over

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Knowing it well is a huge reason why this place is insufferable right now. PTSD.
I shouldn't be so irate right now...but the last 2 years have made situations like this extra sour. Pissing away a 3rd series that should be in the bag and I don't see how it's possible to have any good vibes about this core for Summer hockey.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It was way too passive. It didn't f***ing work. They scored 4 goals anyway. You can't invite this Canes team into your zone and just turn them off.

The play that sums up this game was at 1-1. Panarin gets to a loose puck, goes around his man, gets forced behind the net, the dude proceeds to commit 8 different penalties in 4 seconds, and McDonaugh "not a lot of help for Panarin," and then they came down and scored.

Where was everyone? Way too much dumping, reaching, and waiting for the play to happen.

It's not the way we played in the first four games.
Yup. No one wanted to go in and forecheck, they just went to either change or hang out in the neutral zone and wait for Carolina. No puck support.
Again, hopefully the coaches realized the f***ed it with this game and don't pull this shit again

Reactions: CLW

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
In the 2010 EC quarters, Montreal won game 1, lost 3 straight to the Caps and then won 3 straight. WAS did not lead after 3rd period of game 4.

That Caps team won the President’s Trophy.

Weird shit happens in the playoffs.
2011 Western Conference Quarterfinals Vancouver went 3-0 vs CHI, lost 3 straight by an 11 goal margin and won game 7 on home ice 2-1 in OT.

Sharks beat DET in the ‘11 WCF same way.

We are NOT alone.

• Wow
Reactions: Captain Lindy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad