Pre-Game Talk: Game 5: Tampa @ Toronto - April 27th, 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
just listed the road (for the Leafs) so now I'll do the home.

Keeping me busy on my day off!

Home:

Tied 1-1

Even strength numbers:

Shots: 53-41 Leafs
High Danger Chances: 27-12 Leafs
xGF%: 61.90%-38.10% Leafs
Goals: 6-5 Leafs

Powerplay:
Leafs: 4 goals scored
Bolts: 4 goal scored

Goaltending:
Bolts: .853
Leafs: .839

Road:

Leafs 2-0

Even strength numbers:

Shots: 59-52 Bolts
High Danger Chances: 28-21 Bolts
xGF%: 56.23%-43.77% Bolts
Goals: 7-6 Leafs

Powerplay:
Leafs: 2 goals scored
Bolts: 1 goal scored

Goaltending:
Leafs: .900
Bolts: .859

Vas has really chit the bed. No wonder he said he needs xray glasses. Sammy with the road 900 is pretty decent but I am so used to .910+ for top playoff performers.

Thanks

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I'm curious, how is it normally? I might want to come back for round 3 or something, and I have no experience doing this. Do you have to get really lucky, or if you want in bad enough are you going to be able to get tickets?
This was my first time trying this year but I've heard it's been tough. For reference, 4 of my buddies and I tried to get tickets today. A couple of them had multiple phones going so we had around 7-8 attempts at getting tickets

Nonetheless, all of us came out empty handed lol. It was much easier last year from what I remember, now it's a shit show.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Series so far:

Leafs up 3-1

Even strength numbers:

Shots: 105-100 Leafs
High Danger Chances: 48-40 Toronto
xGF%: 52%-48% Toronto
Goals: 13-11 Leafs

Leafs slightly better overall in this back and forth series.

Powerplay:
Leafs: 35.3% (6 goals scored)
Bolts: 29.4% (5 goals scored)

Both PKs have been bad or both PPs good, however you want to spin it. Leafs with the edge again and much better since game 1.

Goaltending:
Leafs: .873
Bolts: .856

Leafs better here yet again at Sammy has battled and is over .900 after that first shaky game and Vasy has been reeling as his team hangs him out to dry on many of the goals and even a couple that have gone through him.

Things are still close enough that it's nice not to be tied 2-2 but an overall deserved 3-1 cushion for the Leafs right now considering they have been the better team in almost every area.

Thanks for posting.

It's almost pointless to include full series numbers for these kinds of things though, the majority of games one and two were garbage time and very little of what happened after the first period really matters for anything. Once a game gets out of hand you're really just going through the motions getting it over with.

Greatly appreciate the info.
Is there a breakdown for all this stuff after game one?
If you take out game 1, then take out game 2 as well.

EDIT: now that I have read further down, I see that you indeed did this

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I get not wanting to mess with a winning line-up but no Bunting and Liljegren still not getting a look over Holl is gross. Why is it so hard for Keefe to ice his best possible line-up?

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
We are winning this game. There's no way we can lose this. Tampa is old, tired, broken and f***ing ugly. It's time to take them to the woodshed, bend them over dry, make them pucker, suffer, cry and die.

• Love
Reactions: Auston 316

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I get not wanting to mess with a winning line-up but no Bunting and Liljegren still not getting a look over Holl is gross. Why is it so hard for Keefe to ice his best possible line-up?
Holl has been playing well all series aside from game 1. And it is hardly like he was alone on that front.

I love Timmy just as much as the next person. I have been a huge advocate of his for a very long time and I will continue to be that. But at this current moment Justin Holl is playing better hockey and is far more useful. He is a huge part of our PK and has made some incredible blocked shots so far. He leads the team with 7 blocked shots on the PK. That is just something that is absolute not in Timmy's arsenal at this point in his career.

Not to mention, Justin was playing his best hockey heading into the post season whereas Timmy was playing his worst.

Timmy will be a huge part of our future, but he should not be in the lineup unless Holler has a run of bad games IMO.

Trust me, I get it, Holl is far from perfect. But he's better at boxing guys out at the top of the crease in comparison to Timmy. Given that games are typically won and lost in and around the blue paint in the playoffs, I am not surprised to see Holl in the lineup. I actually prefer it personally

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Holl has been playing well all series aside from game 1. And it is hardly like he was alone on that front.

I love Timmy just as much as the next person. I have been a huge advocate of his for a very long time and I will continue to be that. But at this current moment Justin Holl is playing better hockey and is far more useful. He is a huge part of our PK and has made some incredible blocked shots so far. He leads the team with 7 blocked shots on the PK. That is just something that is absolute not in Timmy's arsenal at this point in his career.

Not to mention, Justin was playing his best hockey heading into the post season whereas Timmy was playing his worst.

Timmy will be a huge part of our future, but he should not be in the lineup unless Holler has a run of bad games IMO.

Trust me, I get it, Holl is far from perfect. But he's better at boxing guys out at the top of the crease in comparison to Timmy. Given that games are typically won and lost in and around the blue paint in the playoffs, I am not surprised to see Holl in the lineup. I actually prefer it personally
Isn't Holl something like 1GF - 10GA? I'm not a hater, and I know he plays tough situations but it does feel like he's always on the ice for Goals Against. Him and Gio just haven't been great, IMO.

Reactions: bansheebeat

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Excellent.
Not that I expect it but don't care if he plays another game here.
I personally think his best days are still ahead. I see him as a perfect playoff player that elevates his game and I'm quite certain now he's learned his lesson.

If I become a supporter, do these ads that converge to the center of my screen disappear on my phone? Seriously, this is da woist.
I'm with you, 100%.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
You can't guarantee anything in life. Lafferty took a dumb penalty in Game 3. Nylander took a dumb penalty last game. Everyone is subject to it.

What we know is Bunting has been part of the top 6 in scoring for this team and provides an element that can be very beneficial.

We'll see how it turns out, but sitting out Bunting is playing scared instead of improving your team not playing perfect hockey. Keefe and the Bunting downers better hope they are right about it.

We know in the past
1. Refs do not help us. Never.
2. 50/50 calls never go our way
3. Bunting is a target.

We know as of right NOW
1. Refs are calling a fair game
2. 50/50 seems to our way
3. Bunting can’t be a target if out

We have always said… call the game fairly and we win. We have that now.

And giving Tampa a target will distract us more than them. They are vets ex champs. We have Demons to rid of.

I agree that Bunting is a top player though. But context is huge here. And this is the Leafs curse we are trying to break lol

Reactions: glue

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

But this is just factually wrong. Holl has a 25 gf% at 5 on 5 and has 40 xgf% while being on the ice for a crazy amount of goals against so far. Even ignoring the first game he has still been averaging over 1 GA per game. Last year Liljegren was yanked after one bad performance in the playoffs. Holl has been statistically pathetic the whole series.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I just want to add I hate how this guy who has done nothing but bleed blue and white has turned into a whipping boy. He yaps too much, sure, people liked it until this narrative of the refs hating him started. The Cernak hit was a fluke, he was trying to protect himself and messed up. Yes he deserved a suspension for it but people act like he was out head hunting.
My problem with Bunting is that he whines at the refs more than he chirps the other team, put yourself in the refs shoes, he's super annoying, it'd be so easy to say get in the box and get rid of this yappiness in front of my face.

He needs to channel his yappiness to the other team. Maybe it's because the refs don't punch him in the face when he gets annoying.

Reactions: 7even

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Bunting is a momentum changer. Leafs have it right now but tampa could rally for cernak and bunting in gives them motivation. If leafs lose put bunting back in to take momentum back
This x1000. He's the perfect player to insert if we lose game 5.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
the guy is the 5th best scorer on this team. It's not even a debate, he's been at every practice. ZAR / Lafferty and the entire 4th line has been dismal the past 2 games despite "winning lineup".

Lot of posters here are going to eat crow when bunting pots a nice goal thursday night.
Jarnkrok is appreciably ahead of him (and Tavares) in goals and points per 60 (5v5), and hasn't taken a penalty (dumb or otherwise) these playoffs.

Reactions: Jojalu

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Woll starting?
There's a chance.

1682548104472.png

Reactions: Maple Leaf

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Jarnkrok-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Tavares-Marner
Kerfoot-O’Reilly-Acciari
AstonReese-Kampf-Lafferty
Extra: Bunting, Simmonds​

McCabe-Brodie
Giordano-Holl
Rielly-Schenn
Gustafsson-Liljegren
Mete-Timmins​

Samsonov
Woll
Kallgren

The Nylander with Matthews people will be happy.

Reactions: glue
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad