GDT: Game 5: Sharks @ Predators 5:00pm NBCSCA

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Forum : if a player spends more than a year in the ahl they won't be an impact player at the NHL level

Also forum : the sharks have never developed an impact player because none of the impact players spent enough time in the ahl

Never change guys!

Really is weird to me that some people don't seem to understand development is not the same for all players, and you can't just say "Well this player scored X amount of points in this other league, so he's ready/not ready." It just provably does not work that way.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Really is weird to me that some people don't seem to understand development is not the same for all players, and you can't just say "Well this player scored X amount of points in this other league, so he's ready/not ready." It just provably does not work that way.
It baffles me as well.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
I was thinking of that during 2nd intermission, like, how are you supposed to sell this?

You have some sort of lotto when they win. Ticket holders IN ATTENDANCE receive a chance to win:

Free tix to some sharks event like the wine tasting? A day at Dave and Buster's with Tomas? Some of Hasso's money?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Ever since the introduction of the cap, very, very, very few prospects "marinate" in the AHL. As soon as their contract isn't slideable and they can play at an NHL level, they become a warm body at the NHL; they have to develop at the NHL itself.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Ever since the introduction of the cap, very, very, very few prospects "marinate" in the AHL. As soon as their contract isn't slideable and they can play at an NHL level, they become a warm body at the NHL; they have to develop at the NHL itself.

I think that is a bit of a stretch. I would say that a more accurate statement would be: the majority of NHL players spend plus or minus two seasons playing against men - either in the KHL, AHL, SHL, etc - before making the jump. That said, two or three seasons in the AHL is hardly a death sentence. It's not uncommon for a top-6 forward to have done some time jumping between the AHL/NHL early in their career. I'll concede that might not be the case for a franchise player like Crosby, Bedard or McDavid. But then we see guys like Jack Hughes, that don't get that extra development time, and see that they tend to suffer in their first few seasons anyways.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
I think that is a bit of a stretch. I would say that a more accurate statement would be: the majority of NHL players spend plus or minus two seasons playing against men - either in the KHL, AHL, SHL, etc - before making the jump. That said, two or three seasons in the AHL is hardly a death sentence. It's not uncommon for a top-6 forward to have done some time jumping between the AHL/NHL early in their career. I'll concede that might not be the case for a franchise player like Crosby, Bedard or McDavid. But then we see guys like Jack Hughes, that don't get that extra development time, and see that they tend to suffer in their first few seasons anyways.

I'll just chime in with three guys that I didn't even have to go outside of our own division for. Just glanced at two rival rosters. Chandler Stephenson, Kevin Fiala, Adrian Kempe. All three of these guys spent two or three seasons bouncing between the NHL and AHL. Their point totals aren't even all that eye-popping. Stephenson put up 87 points in 180 AHL GP. Fiala put up 89 in 121GP. Kempe, 48 in 104GP.

Last I checked, Stephenson was the #2 point scorer on the Stanley Cup champions, Fiala went PPG+ the last two seasons, and Kempe scored 41 goals in 22-23.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I'll just chime in with three guys that I didn't even have to go outside of our own division for. Just glanced at two rival rosters. Chandler Stephenson, Kevin Fiala, Adrian Kempe. All three of these guys spent two or three seasons bouncing between the NHL and AHL. Their point totals aren't even all that eye-popping. Stephenson put up 87 points in 180 AHL GP. Fiala put up 89 in 121GP. Kempe, 48 in 104GP.

Last I checked, Stephenson was the #2 point scorer on the Stanley Cup champions, Fiala went PPG+ the last two seasons, and Kempe scored 41 goals in 22-23.
So not even 200gp?

IMO, a lot of it is a players innate talent, drive, and attitude; development is overrated. Perhaps opportunity is important as well...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad